Doors automatically lock when shifted to "D"

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-08, 06:38 PM
arnage
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Doors automatically lock when shifted to "D"

Hi,

Does anyone know the procedure (if possible without hooking up to a dealership computer) for changing the settings on when the door locks engage?

Seems that whenever the car is shifted into Drive, the doors automatically lock -- which can be annoying when you want to exit or if your passenger is unfamiliar with the car's lock location..

Best..
Old 06-06-08, 06:13 AM
tfischer

Received 216 Likes on 160 Posts

I think that on the SC430 that setting can only be changed through the computer that the dealer uses. Locking the doors while the car is in motion is not the problem, though, it's unlocking the doors. I had the dealer set my car so that both doors unlock when the car is shifted back into park. This lets me unlock the passenger door, and keeps people from getting out while the car is in gear. I think the default is to only unlock the driver's door when engaging Park.

I have never had the dealer charge me for this service when I had the car in for something else. If this is the only thing you want, and he has to pull a mechanic off some other job to do this, he may charge you for it, although it should take about 10 minutes, max.

Finally, check out the list of C-Best settings (for 2002, they changed the name for later years), and be sure that you don't want anything else changed; there are quite a few options. (E.g.: you can have both doors unlock on the first button press, and you can change the time for delayed lights off, etc.) Do a search here and find the list.
Old 06-06-08, 09:33 AM
aquanuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Its surprising how the settings are set differently in different countries. My default setting is doors auto lock at 20 mph and then my drivers door unlocks in park but passenger door stays locked.
Old 06-06-08, 09:53 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by tfischer
Finally, check out the list of C-Best settings (for 2002, they changed the name for later years), and be sure that you don't want anything else changed; there are quite a few options. Do a search here and find the list.
Excellent advice. There was an image of the service bulletin indicating every C-BEST setting, in this thread:
Customizing electronic featurs BEYOND what the owner's manual says
but unfortunately the image has dropped off the thead. Maybe someone can repost.
Old 06-06-08, 12:42 PM
arnage
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, everyone, for your replies. I'll search for C-best and speak with the dealership at some point.

Maybe in america's overly-litigious society, the door locking thing became standard here.. though it's odd, as the rest of Lexus's lineup doesn't do this.. and i don't see what significance the car being a convertible has to the door locking mechanisms.
Old 06-06-08, 12:46 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by arnage
Thanks, everyone, for your replies. I'll search for C-best and speak with the dealership at some point.

Maybe in america's overly-litigious society, the door locking thing became standard here.. though it's odd, as the rest of Lexus's lineup doesn't do this.. and i don't see what significance the car being a convertible has to the door locking mechanisms.
i don't know what lexus you looking at, but all new lexus lock the doors when you put it in D, and unlock when you put it in P. that's the default cbest setting on all newer lexus