SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

My ride was owned by a hail storm! Need suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-08, 11:15 AM
EddierRo
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My ride was owned by a hail storm! Need suggestions

My car was pummeled by hail this past Friday. As a result I have hail damage to the hood, roof, fenders and decklid. An insurance adjuster has been assigned but I dont want to get screwed on the repair. I cant imagine this being a cheap fix. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Old 06-30-08, 11:19 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Find a very reputable shop. In fact find two and get two estimates. You must get at least two. This way when the adjuster comes out you can explain that you received two estimates already. They are not obligated in any way to look at them or abide by them but you can take your car anywhere you want for repair. They will generally have a place already picked up for you as they receive a discount on services. Keep in mind that this does not mean the shop is good though generally the insurance company will back up the work. I have seen some very shoddy work done at these place so find a place that you are comfortable with.
Old 06-30-08, 03:14 PM
EddierRo
Driver

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
Find a very reputable shop. In fact find two and get two estimates. You must get at least two. This way when the adjuster comes out you can explain that you received two estimates already. They are not obligated in any way to look at them or abide by them but you can take your car anywhere you want for repair. They will generally have a place already picked up for you as they receive a discount on services. Keep in mind that this does not mean the shop is good though generally the insurance company will back up the work. I have seen some very shoddy work done at these place so find a place that you are comfortable with.
Thanks for the advice. One place told me to go through my insurance co and the other one came out to some $$$$. They warned me the the insurance co is going to lowball me. I have an drive-through apt tomorrow. I hope all goes well.
Old 07-01-08, 11:18 PM
EddierRo
Driver

Just as expected I was given a check for a much lower amount than the estimates I received. When I showed the estimates to the adjuster he just handed them back. Lookin at the estimates it looks as if 2/3 of the body panels will be need refinished and re-sprayed. Can I argue the estimate amount? I am thinking about selling the car to a buddy as is and not have to deal with a potential shoddy repair.
Old 07-02-08, 12:33 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

That is generally how it works. If you had taken it to a shop instead and had them deal with the shop it most likely would have come out higher.