SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

New Generation SC

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-08 | 03:56 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Trexus
Why do many people think the SC is going to be discontinued? Is it because of the long cycle runs? Is it because it doesn't sell in droves? Is it because it doesn't look good? Looks are very subjective. Maybe another reason is that it's underpowered compared to the competition? Maybe it costs too much? Or maybe it's just that people don't understand the SC?
I think the current SC will be around another few years and I believe there will be a replacement.
A lot of us complain about the looks but watch how these things sell when the 2002 gets into the 20K range. Watch them become a hot item.
I do not believe there will be an IS type coupe.
I do not believe Lexus will stray far from a successful formula. The LFA will be it and back to business as usual. Unless the ISF sells like hotcakes, which it isn't. It's doing okay but not hotcakes by any means. I have yet to see one on the road. Lexus needs a cheaper coupe and they won't do it. End of story.
Old 07-03-08 | 04:08 PM
jjbenzo
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My fiancee is insistant on buying a convertible now that we moved to Florida. We like the SC, but I feel as if its underpowered compared to the new Mercedes SL class which we are also considering. I would love to see the SC bumped up to the SC460 for 09! I think that Lexus has a good market for this type of vehicle...more so than the LF-A. So hopefully they will redesign the SC and keep it similar to what it is today without going with the "L-finess" look.
Old 07-03-08 | 04:37 PM
tfeni52355
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking Did you think the SC was for you?

Originally Posted by jjbenzo
My fiancee is insistant on buying a convertible now that we moved to Florida. We like the SC, but I feel as if its underpowered compared to the new Mercedes SL class which we are also considering. I would love to see the SC bumped up to the SC460 for 09! I think that Lexus has a good market for this type of vehicle...more so than the LF-A. So hopefully they will redesign the SC and keep it similar to what it is today without going with the "L-finess" look.
jjbenzo,
I see the underpowered comment all the time. But just how much time is your fiance going to be driving the SC with the throttle wide open anyway? You didn't think she meant buying one for you did you? Crusing to the mall or the shops on the "drive" she'll be styling!
Old 07-03-08 | 07:44 PM
jjbenzo
Advanced

Originally Posted by tfeni52355
jjbenzo,
I see the underpowered comment all the time. But just how much time is your fiance going to be driving the SC with the throttle wide open anyway? You didn't think she meant buying one for you did you? Crusing to the mall or the shops on the "drive" she'll be styling!
I will be the one driving the SC..or whatever convertible we get the most. She will continue to drive our GS430 most of the time. The GS by no means is slow...but the SC with the same motor seems a bit slower and behind a bit when compared to the new SL. However Im drawn to the SC more with its styling, quality and the matador red option. Time will tell, but I have a feeling we will be choosing the SC.
Old 07-03-08 | 08:12 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

To everyone who said the SC430 is underpower.

Sure it is, compare to all the newer offerings from all the Euro brands.

But my opinion is, when I get into the SC430, I just want to cruise around slowly, I never even feel the need to use all the 290 HP that the car has, it is a feel good cruising car, I enjoy the smoothness and the serene feeling, I never want to go fast in it.

That is how I feel driving my LS430.

And believe me, I am a speed freak, I had a few pretty fast cars.....2 Skyline R34 GTRs, a WRX STi.

I am planning to get the new R35 GTR V-Spec in a few years for my speed fix, when I want to go fast, I want low 11s in the 1/4 fast. Not even the SL65 is fast enough for me, it got the power, but it is seriously traction limited with only 2WD.
Old 07-03-08 | 08:18 PM
Peter_Klim
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tfeni52355
jjbenzo,
I moved here from NJ last year and all I can say is that most dudes here just drive wayyyyyyyyyyyy too slow.

Seriously, here in CA I drove my beater Hyundai Accent with the same aggressiveness that i drove in NJ, which was "keeping with the flow of traffic" , and I'm passing Porsches and Farraris all the time. Even at traffic lights. Sometimes after the light turns green, I'm halfway through the intersections and you guys are still motionless. I'm thinking "DId i just run a red light?" My old uncle came to visit and he's like "Why do people drive so slow here??"

My point is, why do you need all that power when you never use it??

Last edited by Peter_Klim; 07-03-08 at 08:24 PM.
Old 07-04-08 | 10:33 AM
Trexus
Forum Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by reggiek
I think the current SC will be around another few years and I believe there will be a replacement.
A lot of us complain about the looks but watch how these things sell when the 2002 gets into the 20K range. Watch them become a hot item.
I do not believe there will be an IS type coupe.
I do not believe Lexus will stray far from a successful formula. The LFA will be it and back to business as usual. Unless the ISF sells like hotcakes, which it isn't. It's doing okay but not hotcakes by any means. I have yet to see one on the road. Lexus needs a cheaper coupe and they won't do it. End of story.
IS coupe is coming. Check this out.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...+pics+IS+coupe
Old 07-04-08 | 11:44 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Trexus
IS coupe is coming. Check this out.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...+pics+IS+coupe
I'll believe it when I see it.
Old 07-04-08 | 01:53 PM
jjbenzo
Advanced

Originally Posted by Peter_Klim
I moved here from NJ last year and all I can say is that most dudes here just drive wayyyyyyyyyyyy too slow.

Seriously, here in CA I drove my beater Hyundai Accent with the same aggressiveness that i drove in NJ, which was "keeping with the flow of traffic" , and I'm passing Porsches and Farraris all the time. Even at traffic lights. Sometimes after the light turns green, I'm halfway through the intersections and you guys are still motionless. I'm thinking "DId i just run a red light?" My old uncle came to visit and he's like "Why do people drive so slow here??"

My point is, why do you need all that power when you never use it??
We live in FL not CA. I love feeling the power under my foot. I use it on the interstates....here ppl. drive 80-85 through Sarasota area so having a powerful car can be useful. For instance, I drove a Mustang Shelby for a week straight and loved the low end power....def. different feeling than our GS430. I dont mind having most of my cars in the 300 hp range..but I do want atleast one or two powerful toys Anyways..we love the SC for every other aspect of the car so we will prob. end up going with it over an SL.

Last edited by jjbenzo; 07-04-08 at 01:56 PM. Reason: add
Old 07-04-08 | 08:51 PM
intdiamond
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jjbenzo
I will be the one driving the SC..or whatever convertible we get the most....but the SC with the same motor seems a bit slower and behind a bit when compared to the new SL...
but just think about all the mods you can do to your new SC with the $35+K you saved over an SL....