SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

What kind of deal am I offered?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-08, 12:24 PM
Peter_Klim
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What kind of deal am I offered?

I found a 2002 SC with just under 50K miles in excellent condition. Runs very good, no dents/dings. Paint has nothings really wrong with it other than normal weathering (meaning no deep scratches but just some hair like surfaces scratches blemishes that can only be seen if your nose is up on it - I'm picky). Has nav.
It's being sold by a Lexus/Toyota quality/pre-owned dealership (they seem like decent people).

$24999.

What's this considered:

A - Typical deal.
B- A good Deal.
C- A REAL GOOD DEAL!!
or
D- I'll take TWO!!

I just started looking for one a few days ago and I'm in no rush to buy.
Old 07-06-08, 12:59 PM
eyeconcur
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would say more A than B...

Edmunds TMV pricing for this is $24,600 if buying from private party, $26,800 if buying from dealer. Sounds about average to me.

Local search of Craig's List in Chicago had 2 SC430's (2002), one with 42K miles for $25,500 and one for $24,500.
Old 07-06-08, 01:47 PM
Peter_Klim
Lead Lap

Thanks eyeconcur for the reply. So what do you think I should be able to negotiate the price down to?
Old 07-06-08, 02:24 PM
CAMAracer
Pole Position

Are you dead set on a 02? After getting my 02, I felt like I should have gotten an 06 instead (mainly for the transmission). Aside for a few other minor things (tail lights), there aren't many differences between the 02 and +06 models...except price
Old 07-06-08, 02:26 PM
eyeconcur
Driver School Candidate

The dealer probably gave the previous owner somewhere between $17,000 and $19,000 for the car. If you are paying cash, I would go in at $22,500 and work up from there. If you are financing and have good credit, you can hold a tighter line on the price since dealer will make some additional revenue on originating/servicing your loan. Personally, given current car market you should be able to get a pretty good deal. Depends on how hungry they are, how long it has been on the lot, etc.
Old 07-06-08, 02:34 PM
Peter_Klim
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CAMAracer
Are you dead set on a 02? After getting my 02, I felt like I should have gotten an 06 instead (mainly for the transmission). Aside for a few other minor things (tail lights), there aren't many differences between the 02 and +06 models...except price

Yes, I am dead set on the 02 (because of the price)

Sooo..
What's the scoop on the tranny?
Old 07-06-08, 02:40 PM
Peter_Klim
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by eyeconcur
The dealer probably gave the previous owner somewhere between $17,000 and $19,000 for the car. If you are paying cash, I would go in at $22,500 and work up from there. If you are financing and have good credit, you can hold a tighter line on the price since dealer will make some additional revenue on originating/servicing your loan. Personally, given current car market you should be able to get a pretty good deal. Depends on how hungry they are, how long it has been on the lot, etc.

I was going to pay cash, but my buddy told me to "tell them you want the best price and you don't care about the interest rates...then pay it all off when you make your 1st payment."

Anywho, yesterday I saw the dealership had it listed on the net for $24999. So hours later I walked in and they told me they already dropped it down from $27999. Later that day I come back home and saw they listed it back up to$27999 - weird...
Old 07-06-08, 02:45 PM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter_Klim
I was going to pay cash, but my buddy told me to "tell them you want the best price and you don't care about the interest rates...then pay it all off when you make your 1st payment."

Anywho, yesterday I saw the dealership had it listed on the net for $24999. So hours later I walked in and they told me they already dropped it down from $27999. Later that day I come back home and saw they listed it back up to$27999 - weird...
The only problem is you're on the hook for the interest from the day you sign the paperwork until the day they get your check. could be hundreds of dollars.
Old 07-06-08, 02:57 PM
CAMAracer
Pole Position

Wait until the end of the month, that's when the dealers get antsy to reach their quotas (for bonuses).

As for the transmission, the 06+ models have a six-speed transmission with sequential shift control. Since my goal is to eventually have a seriously fast SC, this slight oversight is gonna cost me $$$ down the road

Oh, and don't forget about the pie plate rims ...most 02 have them, of course if you do get one with them on, I can sell you my stock ones for a good price
Old 07-06-08, 03:10 PM
aristo2369
Lead Lap

Smile best deal

Hello there.
On most used cars, used car lots add around 5k so just think about that when you do the numbers. I worked at a VW dealership and toyota and it was the same result. when i went to buy a g35 coupe, it was at 24k, i offered 19k after going back and forth they took the deal with my own financing but then i changed mind and go a GS 400 from a private seller and got a better deal overall.if their asking 25k give them 20k.
Old 07-07-08, 06:11 PM
rcpeters
Driver

I would say about A, or typical. I recently bought my 02 from a east coast wholesaler with 52K miles for $24K and I consider it a better deal because it had new non run flat tires and chrome wheels. Very clean car, no issues.

Old 07-07-08, 08:52 PM
PHXSC
Lead Lap

I paid $26k about a month ago for an '02 with 19k miles - private party - original owner. They had optioned it with rims and gold package off the lot. I'd say anything around $24k would be a good deal, and money well spent!
Old 08-30-08, 04:19 PM
Peter_Klim
Lead Lap

So I'm reading this old thread of mine ...feeling good that I only paid $22.5K for the car metioned in this thread's 1st post...

I'll feel even better once I finish detailing my car before the day ends
Old 08-30-08, 05:26 PM
ASER
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Peter_Klim
So I'm reading this old thread of mine ...feeling good that I only paid $22.5K for the car metioned in this thread's 1st post...

I'll feel even better once I finish detailing my car before the day ends

Just curious, did you follow your friend's advice to pay off the loan with your first payment or did you pay cash upfront? How willing was the dealership to lower the price to earn your business? Did they give you a warranty (since it wasn't a Lexus dealer)?

Hmm...I wonder if the next time I am buying a car I should say I'll be financing only to "change my mind" in the business office and pay cash. Won't the dealership be more willing to drop the price lower in hopes of making up for that with the profit they earn by getting me a loan? Does anyone have any opinions?
Old 08-30-08, 05:34 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

$22.5k is a very good price for a 02' considering the low mileage. Does the price include tax and other surcharges?

I also did a lot of research before purchasing my SC. In the past couple of months, the best price I found for a SC430 of an acceptable condition would be a silver 02' with 85k miles for $19,888. But then again, it's got 30k more miles than your car, didn't have a working antenna, the tires were almost out of treads and it was built in 2001', technically a 2001' year car.

Another 03' white SC430 next to the silver car was selling for $22,888. But then it also had 85k miles on the clock and had quite a few rock chips up front.

I almost settled for a 03' Indigo SC430 with Saddle interior here in California for $23.5 with 67k miles on the clock. The deal fell through because the seller made me wait for more than an hour in front of his house after I drove 50 miles to see the car, after I left his house he begged me to go back but didn't disclose the ripped front bumper, non-working interior lights, wouldn't take a check in full amount, and wanted to bicker with me about $20 Pay Pal fees from the deposit he insisted upon. So I took my money and bought a 03' white one w/ 77k miles instead.

Congratulations on your purchase though!

Jon

Last edited by Baby ///M3; 08-30-08 at 05:53 PM.

Quick Reply: What kind of deal am I offered?