SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

dead spot on initial acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-07, 02:50 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts
Default Programmed acceleration delay

Is there some way to disable the delay that the engine control module forces on the driver from the time that you mash the accelerator pedal until the time that the car actually reacts?

Not only is that really annoying, it borders on hazardous. When I mash the accelerator pedal, I expect the car to react, not wait a few seconds and then jump. In a tight spot, this delayed reaction could cause an accident.

I would expect that someone out there has an EPROM fix to this "feature". I find it surprising that even in the performance mode, it still delays.
Old 12-30-07, 03:33 PM
aquanuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I was going to fit a torque converter but after I changed my exhaust it took 90% of that lag out, maybe all of it as I really dont notice it now even with the pwr switch down and and traction on.

If you search theres plenty of threads about it.

I dont think the Blitz exhaust helps.
Old 12-30-07, 05:00 PM
JTMav
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Having owned both an'03 and now an '06 I can tell you that the delay is non-existent in the '06. I am sure it is the reprogrammed ECU. I haven't heard of a "chip"upgrade but that most likely solves that annoying glitch. I always was annoyed with the lag in my '03. I really enjoy the throttle response in my '06.

JTMav
Old 12-30-07, 05:08 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

I have an 06 and I find a very noticeable lag. It is like the car is thinking about what gear to be in and what to do for a second.
Old 12-30-07, 05:18 PM
Habious
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I have an '03 and I agree with JohnnyCake; I think the issue is with the transmission. If you manually put it in 1 and hit it, it GOES. Likewise, when you're cruising along at 40 mph and you romp on it, the car has to kick down 2-3 gears and THEN go...and you can feel that delay. However, at the same 40 mph, if you put it down to 3 first, then hit it, it's immediate.

At least the '06+ cars have the sequential shift gate; it's a bit of a PITA with the '02-'05's because of the funky-shaped shift-gate. Because it's all over the place, you have to know what gear you're in and where the next one is to get to it (let's see, I'm in 3rd now so 2nd is over-to-the-right and then down).

When I'm in a sporty mood, I cruise down the highway in 3rd and the throttle is EXTREMELY responsive. You can make the car lunge forward just by flexing your big toe!
Old 12-30-07, 09:23 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

06+ have far better response coz' they have 6 speed and also different throttle ecu mapping.

02-05 have much worse throttle response. unfortunately, no ecu fix for it. you can put in a 3.76 gearing, it will help a bit
Old 12-30-07, 09:51 PM
johnnyreno
Driver

06 and mine is ballsout when i nail it especially over a 100 mph you may be driving it to mild and its set in wimp mode
Old 12-30-07, 11:36 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

If the delay is bordering on ,"hazardous" then something else is awry with your vehicle. There is a slight delay but not to the extent being mentioned. Now is it the delay or is it the traction control kicking in which will prevent you from getting anywhere as it throttles back the power. This can occur an still not trigger any light on the dash.
Old 12-31-07, 08:17 PM
johnnyreno
Driver

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
If the delay is bordering on ,"hazardous" then something else is awry with your vehicle. There is a slight delay but not to the extent being mentioned. Now is it the delay or is it the traction control kicking in which will prevent you from getting anywhere as it throttles back the power. This can occur an still not trigger any light on the dash.
what pearl power said is a issue you may need to look at
Old 07-07-08, 03:47 PM
rickjaffe
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dead spot on initial acceleration

I recently bought an 04 sc400 with around 66k miles.
It seems like I have any small dead spot when I initially hit the gas pedal. it doesn't seem completely linear, Initially anyway. wouldn't call it a hesitation exactly.

I have a number of carburated old cars, and when that happens on one of them, it is usually the spring which connects to the carburetor. The problem usually gets fixed upon replacement of the spring.

is there something like this on these newfangled cars which I can check?

I have the same problem with an 01 rx 300 which we've had for a couple years.
is it an easy fix?

thanks,

rick jaffe
Old 07-07-08, 04:05 PM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello Rick, Welcome to CL

The problem you are experience is prevalent in the SC community, we have concluded that this "lag" is caused by the drive by wire throttle positioning system. The older generation utilized a wire, which had one end connected to the gas pedal, and the other the throttle body, with this configuration throttle response was almost immediate. With the technology in our new cars, there is a sensor and according to how much you depress the pedal the sensor relays that information to the throttle body, which acts accordingly. This option tends to create a lag time between the sensors signal and the throttle body’s reaction causing the feeling you are experiencing.

I hope this helps
Old 07-07-08, 05:08 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

You may be experiencing what Tommy above stated. It really all depends on how bad it is. I would recommend driving another SC at the dealer first or have them take a look at your car in case there is really something wrong with it.

What you have consider a lag may actually be a problem or the inherent issue with the car.
Old 07-07-08, 06:34 PM
Peter_Klim
Lead Lap

Yeah, this is the same thing i was saying in my threads after test driving a couple over the past weekend. Not liking it. Does the 01 IS300 have the same technology as the SC430? It doesn't seem that way to me.
Old 07-07-08, 06:41 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

All of the 430's of that time have it.
Old 07-07-08, 07:51 PM
Peter_Klim
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
All of the 430's of that time have it.
Then I think that's pretty crappy of SCs. It makes it hard to spend twice as much as an IS when an IS doesn't do that.

Quick Reply: dead spot on initial acceleration