SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Looking to buy a '04 SC430...any advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-08, 02:52 AM
jameschang
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to buy a '04 SC430...any advice

Hey everyone in the forum, first time poster here.

I currently own a TL, but I miss my old car, a G35 coupe. I've been complaining to my friend's uncle about the TL and how I want a coupe again. He owns a few dealerships; and after months of nothing happening, I was told he could get one for me.

It's an '04 with 40k miles for only 15k. Basically I would just trade in my TL for the SC plus I might even get some cash. The SC is clean with no accidents.

The SC wasn't my first choice, I was actually thinking of a CLK, but 15k is a really great deal. I was wondering what everyone thought of their car; and what problems are common with used SC's. I am 26, and am told the SC is more of an older person's car. Also, is it possible to have the roof retract using a remote similar to the CLK?

Thanks everyone. I think the SC deal is too good to turn down; and I might end up being a regular on this forum.
Old 07-14-08, 03:27 AM
carbuff
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

If you miss your G35 coupe then the SC is not for you. Although the G35 is not a Vette, compared to the SC, the G35 is a performance car. The SC is quite the opposite.

The SC is a stylish, luxurious but quite sedate automobile. With the run flat tires replaced, it is a very comfortable ride.

It is not a car to evoke excitement nor one that offers great handling or exhilarating power. These are not failures for the car does not puport to be one to raise the pulse.

I think it far better than the CLK. It is, IMO, a beautiful automobile. Its retractable top is a super feature that continues to amaze me every time I operate it.

Good luck with your choice.
Old 07-14-08, 04:38 AM
ratha67
Rookie

That's a great deal. Buy it, drive it for awhile, if you end up disliking it (not likely), sell it. If you don't want the hassle of selling it, you can sell it to CarMax for more than that and get your money back the same day. Or trade it again at your friend's uncle's dealership. I think that is a few thousand less than the wholesale bluebook for an 04. If the rumors about them discontinuing the SC line are true, you may never see it depreciate below your purchase price.

I agree with the first reply, but lets not make this car sound wimpy either. It doesn't throw you back in your seat when it takes off from the line like the light weight sports cars it gets compared against. If you want/need that feel, you can change the gear ratio and maybe even the torque converter. However, this car will probably still run a 14 sec 1/4 mile stock and has no problem picking up to pass on the freeways.

This car definitely gets me more looks than my CLK. It will probably give me a whole lot less issues than the CLK. Toyota make a much more reliable car than Mercedes. Remote retracting roof feature is available with a system called LuxLink. Many people on here have had it installed. As you probably have already decided, this is a no brainer.

Just don't be one of those guys that buys one and complains that the backseat is only big enough to fit a golf bag (medium size golf bag at that ). Did they not look back their before they bought it? Just know you are buying a 2-seater, with a rear storage compartment to makes up for the lack of trunk space.

It doesn't drive like a G35. But "old person's car" sounds like a Buick. This car does exactly what it promises to do. After one test drive, you'll know how it drives... There are no surprises. (except I hear the back seat won't even fit a little person with no legs )

Welcome to the forum. We'll see you back here soon.
Old 07-14-08, 05:50 AM
RolxuSC400
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would look at the car, drive it, and if this guy is a "friend" suggest an overnight test drive. You owe it to yourself first to see it, drive it, research it, and read comments and issues on here, then make a decision. Dont just buy something for the price. My gut is if you had and liked the G35 before you REALLY need to drive and experience this car for a bit before you make a decision I think you will end up with the G again.
Old 07-14-08, 07:27 PM
PHXSC
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

An '04 with that mileage is easily worth $15k.
My vote is to buy it because of the price, and if you don't like it, sell it for $20k and take a vacation with the $5k to get over your misfortune....
Old 07-14-08, 08:54 PM
Peter_Klim
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PHXSC
An '04 with that mileage is easily worth $15k.
My vote is to buy it because of the price, and if you don't like it, sell it for $20k and take a vacation with the $5k to get over your misfortune....
yeah, sell it to me - I'll buy it for 20!
Old 07-14-08, 09:31 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

An 04 with 300,000 miles would be worth 15k. Pick it up and judge for yourself, you can always turn it. If performance is your goal the car does have many aftermarket performance options that will make it embarrass a G-been there myself.
Welcome aboard
Old 07-14-08, 09:58 PM
robsvdp
Pole Position

Default Hate to be a nay-sayer, but

If something looks too good to be true.... I'd have a good mechanic check it out, and make sure they can assess accidents/bodywork. For your friend to part with it for $15k, he paid something less. I don't think we need a poll here to see if anyone on this board would sell a low mileage '04 for $13k. Just make
sure it's clean. Blue book wholesale on that car is $30k.
Old 07-14-08, 10:05 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by robsvdp
If something looks too good to be true.... I'd have a good mechanic check it out, and make sure they can assess accidents/bodywork. For your friend to part with it for $15k, he paid something less. I don't think we need a poll here to see if anyone on this board would sell a low mileage '04 for $13k. Just make
sure it's clean. Blue book wholesale on that car is $30k.
Have to agree, unless he is very close why would he sell/trade a car for well under what we could sell it for? Figure it this way, it would be the same as him walking up and just giving you at least 10k in cash.
But, if everything checks out then he is really taking good care of you and I would take the car in a heartbeat. Hope to see you back with some pictures of your new SC.
Old 07-14-08, 10:21 PM
jameschang
Driver School Candidate

Default Thank everyone

Hey thanks for the responses everyone.

I actually live in Canada, I don't remember seeing an option to put Canadian info instead of U.S. info. I just put Cali cause I go there every year.

There's actually two, the first is white with a black interior. Second is blue with black interior, similar milage. And yeah, with that price, it's pretty much a no brainer, I'll have to buy it. Of course after taking it to my mechanic, etc. It comes into his lot later this week. Earlier in the year he got my friend a '04 M3 for 19k. No mechanical problems, and completely clean. Yeah, the friend is pretty close; definately trustworthy.

I am thinking of just getting the regular tyres, and not the runflats....does anyone have an "ilink" hooked to their car? So you can play your ipod? I'll admit, I miss the attention I got with my G coupe, the TL definately gets ignore...I am sure the SC gets some looks...does anyone have any interesting stories?

Thanks again for the great responses guys.

Last edited by jameschang; 07-14-08 at 10:29 PM.
Old 07-14-08, 10:24 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

The G does not hold a candle to the attention the SC gets. There are plenty of threads on any topic you can think off that will keep you wake for days. Do a search above. Sounds like a winner.
Old 07-14-08, 10:29 PM
CAMAracer
Pole Position

If I were you, I'd totally buy that car, no questions asked. Well, a few questions asked

$15K for that car? No way...that's just too good of a deal. Somethings up or you have the best "uncle" in the world...haha. Like some others have suggested, buy it and sell it for a BIG profit

As for it being an older person's car...that may be true to some extent but as you can see from the poll on this forum, there's quite a few of us <30YO guys with this car so you definitely won't be alone.

And I take pride in knowing that while most of my peers are driving around in 350zs, STis, and the like, I'm driving something very different (and classier). And besides, my SC won't just be any other SC out there. By the time I'm done transforming her, she'll be able to put the scare into those other aforementioned cars
Old 07-15-08, 12:39 PM
RolxuSC400
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=jameschang;3679844]Hey thanks for the responses everyone.

There's actually two, the first is white with a black interior. Second is blue with black interior, similar milage. And yeah, with that price, it's pretty much a no brainer, I'll have to buy it. Of course after taking it to my mechanic, etc. It comes into his lot later this week. Earlier in the year he got my friend a '04 M3 for 19k. No mechanical problems, and completely clean. Yeah, the friend is pretty close; definately trustworthy.

Well if this turns out to be a straight up deal then drive it like you stole it off that lot....cuz ya did!

Maybe you could send a few of those deals to the states
Old 07-15-08, 03:20 PM
Rustito
Pole Position

This past January I bought an SC430 2004 Pebble Beach edition - light blue, ecru interior, black wood dash etc. - perfect condition. Got from Lexus dealer with certification and warranty and they did major tune-up and fixed a few minor things, put in new PB badged mats etc. so it looked and even smelled new! Clean record, one owner, no accidents, 25,000 miles and was owned by a forum member who took great care of it, only serviced at Lexus dealers and I got the entire service record from the dealer - I read all his forum posts to see what issues he might have had - plus I asked him ofcourse. Dealer bought for about $35,000 (which we all thought was lower than if he had sold to a person directly). Two days later the dealer's asking price was about $46,000 so I told them I knew what they had paid and I offered $1,500 over cost to them and they took it (but that then added about $2,000 for certification and warrenty and a bit more for the major tune-up and other work they had done - which they itemized for me. So total came to about $40,000 USD in perfect condition. My reason for wanting an 04 was color of PB that year - Lexus has never done that color on an SC since and I wanted the SC in that color and it was worth over a years wait to find one locally in perfect condition - each person should get exactly what they want - I don't compromise on things that are impt. to me. To someone else color might be secondary but I had one choice - loved the car but wanted that color only!!

As far as age - you have your focus on wrong variable. Perhaps the car attracts people other than young because of what it offers (and what it does not), i.e., offers smooth ride - minus flat runs, quiet, luxury ride, automatic and comfortable with great sound system and great interior look and great coupe look as well as top down. As another response said, perhaps what appeals to younger people is more of a roadster type ride. So my point, look at whether this is the ride you want or not - it might just happen that what you want appeals to a certain age - but heck, the car makes anyone feel young and wonderful no matter what you age. If you want to shift and really feel the road, hear the engine roaring in your ears, teeth chattering type ride - this is not the car for you. So forget the age and think about whether it matches what you like. No stigma here - no one will ever think - gee, why is this young guy driving this old person's car!!! he he

Everytime I get into my SC I love it - everything about it is "me". I am not you, maybe not your age, but maybe - just maybe - we both might like the same thing in a car. This car is an ego boost no matter your age or gender. To me it is the envy of others - or not but I know before I got mine I envied others who drove by in an SC - and there are not many out there. My friend got a Boxter - fun for me to drive on occasion but doesn't compare to the joy of an SC - but that is me - the Boxter is him - we are the same age!

To answer your other question - One problem I had with my 04 SC430 - trunk leak (you can check my previous posts about this). Guess it does on occasion happen with the SCs (not just the 2004s), however, seems like very few on this forum had this problem. My lexus dealer service supervisor told me over many years of working with these cars he has seen this before but is fixable and they would work with me to find and fix the problem. After a few tries they resealed my trunk (no charge since under warrenty - good to get on a pre-owned) and so far so good and it has been a couple of months now (BTW - leak was very minor and did no damage but still disturbing).

Also agree with another poster - wonder why selling the care you are looking at so cheap - unless USD is different. Did it come from Florida - remember, 2004 in Florida?? 4 hurricanes.

BTW - Is your TL an Acura? I own a 2001 Acura CL coupe with only 31,000 miles - fantastic blue color, black leather and perfect condition. Enjoy the car but as we all know there is no comparison in the ride. Most obvious the first time I drove the SC was that the automatic shifting was totally seamless - can't feel it shift at all. My CL now really bothers me because I notice the automatic gears shifting - which it always has done but when you have better it is harder to ignore things that are not as "perfect" as my SC. Only thing that is not perfect is the cupholder - but that is most definiately not a deal breaker - just be careful and learn what you can and can't put in it so you don't mess-up your interior - love the ecru in the convertable!!

Let us know what you decide - we always learn from each other's experiences and thoughts!! This is a great forum and will help you along your way and you can help others too!

Rustito
Old 07-15-08, 10:50 PM
jameschang
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Rustito
This past January I bought an SC430 2004 Pebble Beach edition - light blue, ecru interior, black wood dash etc. - perfect condition. Got from Lexus dealer with certification and warranty and they did major tune-up and fixed a few minor things, put in new PB badged mats etc. so it looked and even smelled new! Clean record, one owner, no accidents, 25,000 miles and was owned by a forum member who took great care of it, only serviced at Lexus dealers and I got the entire service record from the dealer - I read all his forum posts to see what issues he might have had - plus I asked him ofcourse. Dealer bought for about $35,000 (which we all thought was lower than if he had sold to a person directly). Two days later the dealer's asking price was about $46,000 so I told them I knew what they had paid and I offered $1,500 over cost to them and they took it (but that then added about $2,000 for certification and warrenty and a bit more for the major tune-up and other work they had done - which they itemized for me. So total came to about $40,000 USD in perfect condition. My reason for wanting an 04 was color of PB that year - Lexus has never done that color on an SC since and I wanted the SC in that color and it was worth over a years wait to find one locally in perfect condition - each person should get exactly what they want - I don't compromise on things that are impt. to me. To someone else color might be secondary but I had one choice - loved the car but wanted that color only!!

As far as age - you have your focus on wrong variable. Perhaps the car attracts people other than young because of what it offers (and what it does not), i.e., offers smooth ride - minus flat runs, quiet, luxury ride, automatic and comfortable with great sound system and great interior look and great coupe look as well as top down. As another response said, perhaps what appeals to younger people is more of a roadster type ride. So my point, look at whether this is the ride you want or not - it might just happen that what you want appeals to a certain age - but heck, the car makes anyone feel young and wonderful no matter what you age. If you want to shift and really feel the road, hear the engine roaring in your ears, teeth chattering type ride - this is not the car for you. So forget the age and think about whether it matches what you like. No stigma here - no one will ever think - gee, why is this young guy driving this old person's car!!! he he

Everytime I get into my SC I love it - everything about it is "me". I am not you, maybe not your age, but maybe - just maybe - we both might like the same thing in a car. This car is an ego boost no matter your age or gender. To me it is the envy of others - or not but I know before I got mine I envied others who drove by in an SC - and there are not many out there. My friend got a Boxter - fun for me to drive on occasion but doesn't compare to the joy of an SC - but that is me - the Boxter is him - we are the same age!

To answer your other question - One problem I had with my 04 SC430 - trunk leak (you can check my previous posts about this). Guess it does on occasion happen with the SCs (not just the 2004s), however, seems like very few on this forum had this problem. My lexus dealer service supervisor told me over many years of working with these cars he has seen this before but is fixable and they would work with me to find and fix the problem. After a few tries they resealed my trunk (no charge since under warrenty - good to get on a pre-owned) and so far so good and it has been a couple of months now (BTW - leak was very minor and did no damage but still disturbing).

Also agree with another poster - wonder why selling the care you are looking at so cheap - unless USD is different. Did it come from Florida - remember, 2004 in Florida?? 4 hurricanes.

BTW - Is your TL an Acura? I own a 2001 Acura CL coupe with only 31,000 miles - fantastic blue color, black leather and perfect condition. Enjoy the car but as we all know there is no comparison in the ride. Most obvious the first time I drove the SC was that the automatic shifting was totally seamless - can't feel it shift at all. My CL now really bothers me because I notice the automatic gears shifting - which it always has done but when you have better it is harder to ignore things that are not as "perfect" as my SC. Only thing that is not perfect is the cupholder - but that is most definiately not a deal breaker - just be careful and learn what you can and can't put in it so you don't mess-up your interior - love the ecru in the convertable!!

Let us know what you decide - we always learn from each other's experiences and thoughts!! This is a great forum and will help you along your way and you can help others too!

Rustito

Hey that was a great response. Nothing wrong with a bit of an ego boost. Yep, the TL is an Acura. To be honest, there's nothing wrong with the TL. And people give me the wierdest looks when I bash it. It's a fine car, just nothing that stirs the emotions.

I remember when I use to feel blue and as soon as I hopped in my G35 coupe, and went on some windy roads, I instantly felt better. The TL definately doesn't do that. I don't drive the TL for fun, purely to get from A to B. What I want is a car that stirs my emotions. By the looks of what everyone is saying, the SC will definately do that.