SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Please Keep Your Eyes Open For My Stolen SC430

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-08, 09:30 AM
PHXSC
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry for your misfortune.
My advice is to not cash any check they write to you until it is for the correct amount. Often times, the check has lingo on it absolving the ins. co. of any further claims.
Old 08-04-08, 10:58 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Best bet is to drop the car off at a reputable body shop and have them deal directly with the insurance adjuster.
Old 08-04-08, 11:05 AM
MBoom
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
Best bet is to drop the car off at a reputable body shop and have them deal directly with the insurance adjuster.
That's what I'm doing. I had it towed to the shop that my Lexus dealer uses, figuring that they likely do good quality work and are familiar with the ins and outs of Lexus repairs. Within ten minutes of it arriving at the body shop, the owner called and said "What the heck happened to this car?" and advised me--without any prompting on my part--that the estimator had missed a tremendous amount of the damage to the car.

He has called the company for whom the estimator works and asked them to come back out, so he can go over the car with them and ensure that the estimate is written properly. We'll see where it goes from here.
Old 08-04-08, 11:07 AM
norman52
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Here is the link to what you are entitled to provided my the State of Illinois.

http://www.idfpr.com/DOI/autoinsuran..._own_claim.asp
Old 08-04-08, 11:17 AM
MBoom
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by norman52
Here is the link to what you are entitled to provided my the State of Illinois.

http://www.idfpr.com/DOI/autoinsuran..._own_claim.asp
Thanks! That's good info.
Old 08-04-08, 01:46 PM
lugnuts
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

MBOOM:

Also a USAA covered family; I'm suggesting that the estimator was really not a USAA person,, they outsource that effort unless you're in a very large military resident area - my experience was Northern Virginia. Your "hidden" damage sounds huge, not to mention all the little whacks it took. Are you preparing for a "totalled out" reestimate from USAA. Personnally, I'm thinking that may be the happiest route for you.
Old 08-04-08, 02:21 PM
Rippaflow
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lugnuts
MBOOM:

Also a USAA covered family; I'm suggesting that the estimator was really not a USAA person,, they outsource that effort unless you're in a very large military resident area - my experience was Northern Virginia. Your "hidden" damage sounds huge, not to mention all the little whacks it took. Are you preparing for a "totalled out" reestimate from USAA. Personnally, I'm thinking that may be the happiest route for you.
I know it's your car/baby/prize/toy/possession but after what that car went through, I sincerely hope that they do total it out. It will never be the same SC again. You know that car was being shifted up and down the shift gates with ECT power on and by high speed chase, I'm sure the kid was well up in the rpms in 4th...and all us 5 speed auto 430 powered car owners know where that takes you. Good luck and definately don't cash that check. I'm wondering how he got the vehicle to start initially.
Old 08-04-08, 04:11 PM
MBoom
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all your supportive comments. Yes, I'm afraid that having the car totaled may be the best outcome, though ultimately that decision rests with the insurance company. I've seen pretty substantial damage repaired successfully, but to my untrained eye it looks like the costs would very nearly approach, or possibly exceed, the value of the car.

USAA is an excellent company and I've been with them 30-plus years, with very few claims (none at-fault). I hope that this history counts for something with them. As for the estimator, he was working for a contractor to USAA.
Old 08-04-08, 09:39 PM
KilaWombat
Lead Lap

I've followed your story since your OP and it's hurts me just reading about that %^&*%@# who caused all this trouble. I hope things will get better for you & your family.
Old 08-07-08, 03:07 PM
Rippaflow
Lead Lap

When are they coming out to do the estimate?
Old 08-08-08, 10:02 AM
DDLexus
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Not wanting to pour salt in the wound, but can you take some pics and share your story visually?

I too am left asking how the car was started without a LEXUS key? I thought there was something called an engine immobilizer that would prevent unauthorized ignition?
Old 08-08-08, 02:51 PM
GammaLex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I would also like to know how the car was started and drivin without the key? Did you ever misplace your key? How do you hotwire a Lexus? Also a 17 YEAR OLD STOLE IT THAT EASILY? Makes me sleep better at night knowing my car is in a airconditioned garage.
Old 08-08-08, 05:05 PM
rcpeters
Driver

I found your report very interesting and I will be very cautious from now on as to where I park my car. I have been up to now, very secure with the theft protection system, but if a kid can drive an SC430 away, I guess we should all be wary.

I can see a big legal fight coming up with the insurance company. I think it is time for you to see a lawyer, get estimates from more appraisers and get a letter off to the insurance company. I think you would be better off, if the car was not recovered and the insurance sent you check for another car.

In California, the insurance companies are afraid to let it appear that they are neglecting to pay claims. They have lost significant sums in court fights and fines. Better send that check back to them or their defense will be that they paid you.

Old 08-09-08, 10:44 AM
KiNg430
Rookie

being in the insurance industry/collision repair industry i can tell you this.
an owner does not have the right to total out their own car because they feel
"its not the same anymore", as far as the estimate that your insurance co
wrote up its a preliminary estimate and not final, the body shop would call a number provided on the estimate for a supplement the amount would just keep increasing as they find additional damage related to the theft.

suggestion*
what your shop needs to do is write up an estimate on items not noted on the original estimate and have the estimator review when he gets to the shop
it would make things go alot faster and if the amount of the repairs come close to the value of the vehicle, then it would lean into a total loss
Old 08-09-08, 01:43 PM
Roofless
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LLexusc430
being in the insurance industry/collision repair industry i can tell you this.
Well said. Good post.
Thanks.

Quick Reply: Please Keep Your Eyes Open For My Stolen SC430