SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Please Keep Your Eyes Open For My Stolen SC430

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-08, 12:54 PM
MBoom
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm still on hold, waiting to see how the revised estimate turns out. I'm familiar with how things normally work; it's not unusual for additional costs to be added to the initial estimate once the body shop starts digging into things and sees what hidden damage may be present. The body shop has done that and I'm presently waiting for the updated estimate.

What did surprise me was how much damage was missed in the initial estimate. For instance, the passenger window was broken, with glass everywhere inside the car. The perp--or his buddies--had tried to pry out the nav screen and scraped it up. Neither of these items, or the cuts on the seats that resulted from the glass that was scattered throughout the interior, nor the scrapes on every wheel, nor the damage to the windshield frame, nor the . . . well, you get the idea . . . were noted. Also, the rear wheels are canted about 10-15 degrees to the right, indicating some pretty significant damage to the rear suspension (or its mounting points?). Without going into excruciating detail, these and many other things were simply not reflected in the estimate.

Frankly, I was amazed at the amount of clearly visible damage that was overlooked.

Having said that, I've always been very satisfied with USAA and I am still operating under the assumption that they'll deal with my claim honestly and professionally. Hopefully this will get straightened out soon.
Old 08-11-08, 03:27 PM
PHXSC
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Claims Adjusters

I wouldn't be suprised about how much was missing from the initial report. He'd loved to have written you a check on the spot for that amount, and been on his way. His job is to settle the claim for the least amount of money he can. Politely stay firm with him/her. Sounds likely, as you discover more and more damage, that they're going to total it out. That final figure is negotiable, too. Good luck!
Old 08-11-08, 03:44 PM
Little E
Lexus Champion

With all that damage, seriously I would want the car to be totaled if it was me in this situation (it's never going to be like it was no matter how much body work is done).

Sorry your beautiful SC was ruined.
Old 08-11-08, 03:53 PM
davidv433
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i still want to know how they started the car, dont they have immobilizers? i mean a 17 yr old most likely is now gonna know how to bypass it. sorry to hear about that man.
Old 08-12-08, 10:09 AM
MBoom
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by davidv433
i mean a 17 yr old most likely is not gonna know how to bypass it.
I don't know, but maybe the fact that this particular 17-year-old was on probation and had multiple outstanding arrest warrants would indicate that he's got some experience.
Old 08-12-08, 10:24 AM
Habious
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

MBoom,

Did you have a LuxLink with the Remote Start installed? Or any other system that would disable the Immobilizer?

P.S. I also agree that it sounds like the best thing for you would be for them to total it out.
Old 08-13-08, 06:13 PM
MBoom
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Habious
MBoom,

Did you have a LuxLink with the Remote Start installed? Or any other system that would disable the Immobilizer?
No LuxLink, or anything else that I know of that would disable the immobilizer. However, I bought the car used (Lexus Certified) and it's possible that some modification might have been done prior to my ownership.