SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Sc430 V.s. Is300

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-08, 09:13 AM
Peter_Klim
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sc430 V.s. Is300

How do I get the SC430 to ride like an IS300? And how much will it cost me?

I already have the IS (year one, 2001) and have test driven a bunch of SC430's (year one, 2002). The IS300 is stock and it feels like the brakes are much better, it handles betters, feels like it has a tighter suspension and definitely has a MUCH smoother ride.

The one thing that I know I won't be able to have the SC even equal to the IS is the IS's smooth transmission.

Now, just changing tires to non run flats...will that alone make the ride as smooth as the IS ride?

I'll be happy if I can at least get the SC up to par with the IS. Don't need it to excel due to not wanting to spend a lot of extra money. I'm having a hard time convincing myself to get this car (mostly because of the jittery ride), so please convince me. But the car looks so beautiful, it's a hard-top convertible and is extreemly reliable - which is why I would keep it forever!

So, including labor, how much do I have to spend, and what exactly do I need to purchase?
Old 07-21-08, 10:03 AM
intdiamond
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter_Klim
The one thing that I know I won't be able to have the SC even equal to the IS is the IS's smooth transmission.....

Now, just changing tires to non run flats...will that alone make the ride as smooth as the IS ride?
OK, I can't sit idle anymore about the SC not riding like an IS....There's so much talk on CL about the SC not riding as well as the IS; the two cars are totally different in every way, and not even intended for the same target-market!

I've always thought my SC's tranny was smooth as silk... my Lex-dealer loans me the IS when my SC's in service, and I've always thought of the IS as more of a boy-racer feeling ride (no offense intended!) vs. the SC's touring-ride.
If you want a BMW 3-series type ride, get an IS. If you want a top-down touring-ride, get an SC.

Oh yeah, BAG THOSE RUN FLATS! It'll feel like a different car altogether....
Old 07-21-08, 10:05 AM
ratha67
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How do I get the SC430 to ride like an IS300? And how much will it cost me?

I already have the IS (year one, 2001) and have test driven a bunch of SC430's (year one, 2002). The IS300 is stock and it feels like the brakes are much better, it handles betters, feels like it has a tighter suspension and definitely has a MUCH smoother ride.

The one thing that I know I won't be able to have the SC even equal to the IS is the IS's smooth transmission.

I'll be happy if I can at least get the SC up to par with the IS. Don't need it to excel due to not wanting to spend a lot of extra money. I'm having a hard time convincing myself to get this car (mostly because of the jittery ride), so please convince me. But the car looks so beautiful, it's a hard-top convertible and is extreemly reliable - which is why I would keep it forever!

So, including labor, how much do I have to spend, and what exactly do I need to purchase?
Hey peter, good to here you are still in the market for an SC. Before responding to your concerns, I wanted to let you know I completely know where you are coming from. I have also owned a 2001 IS as well as a couple of older SC400's. My current SC430, which I really enjoy, does not have the best ride compared to the rest of the lexus models. The ride in the IS is much better. In my opinion the SC430 will never have the feel of an IS, no matter what you do to it. The IS's handling feels much more responsive. The IS feels light and nimble and the suspension seems to hide any imperfections in the road. The SC doesn't do that. I believe that has to do with the weight of the car, and the suspension that is used on a car of this weight, while still maintaining the stock sporty stance that the car was designed with.

When I changed from run-flats to regular tires, that made the car run a lot less stiff. So now its a smoother ride overall, but you still feel a few of the bumps on the road, which is usually not an issue in all other lexuses, unless you are hitting pot holes or speed bumps.

However, compared to many other cars (not lexus), I would say the Sc430 provides a great ride (with non-runflats). It is much smoother than my Mercedes CLK, and compared to other heavy low 2 door cars, it probably provides one of the best rides. Comparing it to an IS is kind of unfair. Go drive a brand new Corvette, and then get in SC430, you would think the Corvette was running shocks with no springs.

I don't think changing the suspension to an aftermarket suspension will help you much. So your issues with the ride is likely only helped by changing the tires. Cost? about $800. However, don't expect it to give you the same ride as your IS.

Just go out an buy one. You wont regret it. The ride isn't as bad as you make it out to be. This car makes up for its short-comings by providing you with the feeling you get when you are at a light, with the top down, with an IS in the lane next to you. You'll see. Good luck.
Old 07-21-08, 10:21 AM
ratha67
Rookie

By the way, I was in Newport Beach the other day, backed into a parking spot, (lexus badge is removed from the front grill). And a guy stopped his newer Porsche, got out, and walked up to the front of my car and asked me: "Is that a new exotic that just came out? I haven't seen one of these before."

He felt kind of stupid, but was still really impressed when I told him it was an SC, he asked "New model", I told him 02.

Old 07-21-08, 10:44 AM
PHXSC
Lead Lap

I can't comment on the comparison to the IS, since I haven't driven one, but if the SC's you've been test driving were on run-flats, you're not getting anywhere close to the ride and handling you'll get with non-run-flats. I had mine 3 days and took the run-flats off the car. Totally different car with more of a Lexus ride and handling.
I found your comment on brakes interesting - the IS must have some awesome brakes, since my SC has the best stopping power of any vehicle I've owned, other than a 69 Vette.
Old 07-21-08, 10:54 AM
Peter_Klim
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ratha67
By the way, I was in Newport Beach the other day, backed into a parking spot, (lexus badge is removed from the front grill). And a guy stopped his newer Porsche, got out, and walked up to the front of my car and asked me: "Is that a new exotic that just came out? I haven't seen one of these before."

He felt kind of stupid, but was still really impressed when I told him it was an SC, he asked "New model", I told him 02.

Hey Ratha, thanks again for your very imformative responses.

I really want to buy the car, but its hard to dish out the cash for a car that cost twice as much but doesn't give you that same racing thrill. Not that the IS300 is much of a racer...

And what's up with that Porche dude? Was the guy vacationing in the USA or is your SC that super modified? Or was he a traveler from Mars??
Why don't you PM some pics of your car. Still considering selling it? Since we're practically neighbors, maybe I could stop by one day and check it out...
Old 07-21-08, 10:56 AM
ratha67
Rookie

the IS must have some awesome brakes, since my SC has the best stopping power of any vehicle I've owned, other than a 69 Vette.[/QUOTE]

The braking in the SC is awesome. The IS300 is like 600 lbs less than the SC. That a big difference when you talk about how easy it feels to start and stop a car. Fill your seats up with 3 more 200 lbs people, it makes a difference. Braking is not a complaint I have about this car. I felt as if I've stopped on a dime on the freeway. Where if it were another car, I may have rear-ended the guy that cut me off and slammed on the breaks.
Old 07-21-08, 10:58 AM
Peter_Klim
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PHXSC
I can't comment on the comparison to the IS, since I haven't driven one, but if the SC's you've been test driving were on run-flats, you're not getting anywhere close to the ride and handling you'll get with non-run-flats. I had mine 3 days and took the run-flats off the car. Totally different car with more of a Lexus ride and handling.
I found your comment on brakes interesting - the IS must have some awesome brakes, since my SC has the best stopping power of any vehicle I've owned, other than a 69 Vette.
THe brakes really are well built, tight and very responsive. But then again, it is a lighter car too. They must've been aftermarket brakes on the vette (I'm just as old! )
Old 07-21-08, 11:10 AM
ratha67
Rookie

Hey Ratha, thanks again for your very imformative responses.

I really want to buy the car, but its hard to dish out the cash for a car that cost twice as much but doesn't give you that same racing thrill. Not that the IS300 is much of a racer...

And what's up with that Porche dude? Was the guy vacationing in the USA or is your SC that super modified? Or was he a traveler from Mars??
Why don't you PM some pics of your car. Still considering selling it? Since we're practically neighbors, maybe I could stop by one day and check it out...
Car is pretty much stock. Without a badge on the grill though, apparently some people can't figure out what it is from the front...The guy was a bit slow.

My car is currently not for sale. I don't think I can part with it, at least not yet. I was almost forced into a sale because of the parking rules of my home owners association. Basically, my temporary solution is, I have 2 other cars parked in my brother's house (in his garage of course), which is about an hour away from me. The situation sucks, but since I'm using the SC as my daily driver right now, I don't have much choice. I'll PM you a pic anyways.

By the way, where in SoCal are you?
Old 07-21-08, 11:22 AM
Peter_Klim
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ratha67
Car is pretty much stock. Without a badge on the grill though, apparently some people can't figure out what it is from the front...The guy was a bit slow.

My car is currently not for sale. I don't think I can part with it, at least not yet. I was almost forced into a sale because of the parking rules of my home owners association. Basically, my temporary solution is, I have 2 other cars parked in my brother's house (in his garage of course), which is about an hour away from me. The situation sucks, but since I'm using the SC as my daily driver right now, I don't have much choice. I'll PM you a pic anyways.

By the way, where in SoCal are you?

My situation kinda sucks too. I have a tiny garage that I store my IS in (purchased new in 01), then my 90 LS purchased less then a month ago as a beater/surfboard transport car parks right in front of it (1/2 on the sidewalk and the 2nd half on the road - it's legal) and now there's the SC to add to the family - where to park them all?? But the IS is up for sale, just haven't been advertising it yet. Last weekend I started working on it - so far I swapped my "snow" tires & wheels back to the stock set (I moved here from Jersey last Jan)

I'm in downtown H.B. Thanks for the pics in advance!
Old 07-21-08, 11:26 AM
Habious
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I know that everyone has their own opinions...and those that don't have opinions of their own prefer certain reviewers to others but, for what it's worth (how's THAT for a caveat?!?)...

Edmunds.com did a review of the 2002 SC430 with a full road-test. They measured the 60-0 braking at 121 feet. In the section for "Braking comments" this is what they said..."Braking in the Lexus SC 430 is eerie. There is no nosedive, no tire noise, no ABS system noise;it just plain stops, no muss, no fuss. The numbers we generated and the way it performs are inspirational. Put this vehicle up on a platform and let others try to match its superb braking abilities. Our best run was our second, but the third was nearly identical with a difference of only 0.04 feet. The second run was shorter than the first by about 2 feet, so fade was not an issue, and the brakes actually worked better with a little heat in them. Even though the Mercedes-Benz SLK320 generates better braking numbers, the manner in which the Lexus generates the numbers is outstanding."

The link for the fill review is here, if anyone's interested.

As for my personal opinion, I agree with Edmunds; you step on the brakes, even during a panic-stop and the car just stops. Now, I can't say how the brakes feel after 2 hours at the track...I don't drive it that way.

I also agree with intdiamond's comment...The SC isn't an IS...it's never going to be. It's not that kind of a car. I've driven a few IS's (a few loaners, a friend's IS, and was lucky enough to take an IS-F for a spin). With the exception of the IS-F, I wasn't that impressed but, then again, I'm not 22...which I think is more of the target market for the IS.

Also, there aren't too many IS's that turn heads like the SC430 does...even in stock form. How many times have you been sitting in traffic and the person beside you starts talking to you about your car? Well, it happens to me, on average, once a week...no joke. The car gets attention.

But, buying a car shouldn't just be about the look-at-me factor. I don't think you should buy a car to put a smile on someone else's face; you should buy one that puts a smile on YOUR face. The SC430 does that for me. I still get a goofy grin on my face (even when I'm alone) when I drop the top from the remote (thank you LuxLunk). I get in, start the car, the navigation door silently opens and the screen emerges from inside the dash...yeah, this is nice.

As for the ride, my SC430 is my daily driver, and I have no complaints (after I got rid of the run-flats (noticing a trend here?...everyone says this...listen to them!)). I can also say that I had it up to 110 MPH (with the top down) this weekend, racing against a turbo Eclipse spyder (on a closed track..ehem..of course). Rock solid, even at that speed.
Old 07-21-08, 12:14 PM
RolxuSC400
Instructor

Well i think the term "ride" is subjective. Maybe if you define the term ride it might be helpful...suspension, braking, road feel, cornering, acceleration. There are alot of variables to consider. A coupe will not ride like a sedan without some modifications and depending on the car that could be significant. Why would you want the SC to behave like a IS anyway? They are different cars and marketed appropriately. I am curious are you thinking of replacing the IS with the SC?

Habious - so you got that beauty to drive by itself yet? Your car is awesome with all those electronics.
Old 07-21-08, 01:20 PM
Habious
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by RolxuSC400
Habious - so you got that beauty to drive by itself yet? Your car is awesome with all those electronics.
Not quite but, I did get the voice-command working so, now the car listens to what I say. If only I could get that option working with my wife.
Old 07-21-08, 03:07 PM
RolxuSC400
Instructor

Originally Posted by Habious
Not quite but, I did get the voice-command working so, now the car listens to what I say. If only I could get that option working with my wife.
I had that option. Was a really expensive one and worth nothing at trade-in.

I am still waiting to grab some funnel cakes with you man.
Old 07-21-08, 09:53 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Peter, many of your questions have been answered multiple times here on this forum. However, I must say that not many (any?) actually ask for their car to be like an IS300.

As posted above you will never have it ride like an IS. They are two different cars and once you get past that things get pretty easy. This car can be made to be very responsive and can handle very well depending on your skills and expectations. But, it is all driver and not just the car. My car is practically all stock yet everyday I drive 35 miles down a canyon and back up. Not that I drive like a lunatic or clip the apex at every opportunity, but I can easily toss this car around on stock components-albeit with more drama then when it had mods on it.

Now if you were to ask how to make the SC respond better and handle better, there are many options available to you.

Based on your threads, I really tend to think the SC is not for you and recommend another car more to your liking instead of trying to make the car into something it was not designed to be-in your case a IS300.

That stated the aftermarket is kind to a degree and suspension components are available for this car. Whether it makes it into a IS is beyond me as I never aspired to have my SC430 ride like an IS300 or any other car out there, just handle better, brake better ,etc. All of which are available and has been discussed.

search for sway bars, coil overs, big brake kits, etc... Ask yourself what you really want in this car first and why you are interested in this car. If you are still interested in this car, then ask yourself what it will cost to bring it up to your expectations and perhaps you will get a clearer picture on whether this car really is for you or not. Nobody should try to convince you to buy this car, it is your money.

If you want a simple rundown:
Coilovers-$1200.00, or springs/shocks for $500.00
BBK $2000.00-much better than the little Lexus brakes found on the IS or any other stock Lexus. or simply upgrade to STT brakes and call it a day for under $500.00.
Tires-$1200.00
Sway bars-$500.00 if they are available. Hit and miss.
Good alignment required after the above mods-$100.00.

It will ride nice and handle even better, but is it what you want? Only you know or only after you purchased the car and spend the money. There is no way anyone of us can understand what your expectations are but can say the above really changes the car.

Perhaps you can find a member close to you with a few of the mods mentioned and ask for a ride.

Last edited by Pearlpower; 07-21-08 at 10:11 PM.

Quick Reply: Sc430 V.s. Is300