SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Car Stereo

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-08 | 11:20 PM
Peter_Klim
Lead Lap

Default Car Stereo

What are your thoughts on the ML system. I think, no, I know it's WAY over priced and it sux.

ML specializes in amplifiers, not CD players, and DEFINITELY not speakers - which is the most critical part for sound quality.

If I were still into car audio, I would replace the speakers with some kevlar series Focals (or maybe their Utopia series), or Dynaudio's higher end speakers. A Boston Acoustic Pro series sub (they work in really small enclosures). A nice Alpine head unit and a good high end amp (it's not as critical - maybe a Phoenix Gold Ti amp).

My ears are are shot from too many concerts and loud car systems, so I can't listen to any car stereos without protecting my ears with musician earplugs (long story on why that works).

What really sucks about it is the crummy bass. Not that it doesn't go low in bass (which suxs too), but that the bass that comes out is very sloppy and kinda hollow. Does it use a sub? If so, I'm going to have to remove it. It would sound better with no sub at all.

It doesn't realy sux, just not as good as aftermarket systems priced much lower. And just not up to par for audiophiles.

What your thoughts? Anyone have pics of their installs.
Old 07-24-08 | 08:48 AM
intdiamond
Lead Lap

There's a sub behind the back seats. There are many useful threads you can search r.e. replacing/adding subs and everything you want to know about head units, speakers, etc.
Congrats on the new ride! Enjoy.
Old 07-24-08 | 10:56 AM
ratha67
Rookie

Hey Peter, have I mentioned you are one of the most positive people on this forum...

I remember tellin you "go out and buy one, you'll never look back". Now I'm thinking I might have been a bit presumptuous.

Well I hope you're enjoying your new SC. The weather has been great lately. Seeing as how you just moved down here from Joysey a few months ago, how about takin a nice drive this weekend in your new ride and enjoying the sites.

Here, this will get you started and the Newport/Laguna/Irvine Drive is right in your back yard.

http://www.lexusdrives.com/

I'm still waitin on that thread about how much you love your SC and the inferiority of your IS.

How'd the detailing go?
Old 07-24-08 | 12:17 PM
PHXSC
Lead Lap

Curious how you established the price of the system. Mine came in the car as standard equipment. And if your ears are shot, why spend a bunch of money on new stuff?
Old 07-24-08 | 12:39 PM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

Do a search for subwoofer or image dynamics. I got a few threads detailing how the bass improved with the different things I did with the sub.

Originally Posted by Peter_Klim
What are your thoughts on the ML system. I think, no, I know it's WAY over priced and it sux.

ML specializes in amplifiers, not CD players, and DEFINITELY not speakers - which is the most critical part for sound quality.

If I were still into car audio, I would replace the speakers with some kevlar series Focals (or maybe their Utopia series), or Dynaudio's higher end speakers. A Boston Acoustic Pro series sub (they work in really small enclosures). A nice Alpine head unit and a good high end amp (it's not as critical - maybe a Phoenix Gold Ti amp).

My ears are are shot from too many concerts and loud car systems, so I can't listen to any car stereos without protecting my ears with musician earplugs (long story on why that works).

What really sucks about it is the crummy bass. Not that it doesn't go low in bass (which suxs too), but that the bass that comes out is very sloppy and kinda hollow. Does it use a sub? If so, I'm going to have to remove it. It would sound better with no sub at all.

It doesn't realy sux, just not as good as aftermarket systems priced much lower. And just not up to par for audiophiles.

What your thoughts? Anyone have pics of their installs.
Old 07-24-08 | 01:03 PM
ratha67
Rookie

I think I generally agree with you. However, maybe my expectations for a stock system were much lower than yours. The ML system will not hold a candle to any high end aftermarket systems. But, its a stock system and even Bose systems like the one in my Mercedes and Harmon Kardon systems in the BMW's I've driven are still stock systems that falter against their aftermarket counterparts. The stock head units are pretty decent and they will usually run 8 ohm speakers just like our ML system does, to get cleaner sound with less THD, but an aftermarket system with a clean amp running at 4 ohm, pushing premium speakers will definitely put away any stock car audio configuration.

The old Lexus SC's I used to have had a Nakamichi system as their premium sound system. You'll have to admit, the ML system is a big upgrade to the Nakamichis of the past. I remember those used to have flimsy Toyota paper speakers that were much worse in sound quality and durability. I replaced my old SC's speakers with Infinity Kappas and installed a separate Boston Acoustics amp to run them. However, the ML system in our cars have kept me pretty content for a stock system, and I probably won't upgrade it until the speakers blow.

First night I had the car and was driving it home, I was actually quite impressed with the stock ML system, and considering I knew it had a stock 8" free air sub, I was surprised at the bass it produced. Who knows, I sometimes get a little bored on the weekends, so it might see an upgrade sooner rather than later. But I guess I generally agree with you, just my expectations were probably not as high.
Old 07-24-08 | 01:14 PM
ratha67
Rookie

Hey tony, I just searched it...That is an awesome sub enclosure you fabricated. It doesn't even look like there is that much space to fit an enclosure with that much volume. Damn...I gotta get more familiar with working with fiberglass.