SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Brakes suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-08, 08:14 PM
Peter_Klim
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brakes suggestions

Hi, Lexus dealer told me it would be $850 to get my front and back brakes done (rotors smoothed out and pads replaced). Few years ago the dealer back in NJ quoted me the same for my IS (I got it done for about $280 by an auto repair shop).

What I am hearing from CL members is that the stock SC brakes are awesome! I just got the car so I have no idea how well they are but I'll need to get them done soon. I'd like to upgrade the discs and pads, but still stay under $850 (including install). Would like to get some slotted & drilled rotors.

What have you guys used that work as good or better? Here's what I'm currently leaning towards:

http://www.accessoriesgiant.com/incl...VwYXJhdGVseSI=

http://www.accessoriesgiant.com/acce...9&No=10&Npp=10

Not sure which pads to get. Probably the best that Tire Rack has to offer. Or should I get the same brand as that of the discs?

Last edited by Peter_Klim; 08-02-08 at 08:20 PM.
Old 08-02-08, 10:15 PM
ratha67
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Peter_Klim
Hi, Lexus dealer told me it would be $850 to get my front and back brakes done (rotors smoothed out and pads replaced). Few years ago the dealer back in NJ quoted me the same for my IS (I got it done for about $280 by an auto repair shop).

What I am hearing from CL members is that the stock SC brakes are awesome! I just got the car so I have no idea how well they are but I'll need to get them done soon. I'd like to upgrade the discs and pads, but still stay under $850 (including install). Would like to get some slotted & drilled rotors.

What have you guys used that work as good or better? Here's what I'm currently leaning towards:

http://www.accessoriesgiant.com/incl...VwYXJhdGVseSI=

http://www.accessoriesgiant.com/acce...9&No=10&Npp=10

Not sure which pads to get. Probably the best that Tire Rack has to offer. Or should I get the same brand as that of the discs?

Here you go Peter.

Rotors
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LEXUS...spagenameZWDVW

Great Price, and you can go and pick up instead of paying for shipping since it is around the corner from you. You can't beat new silver zinc slotted and drilled rotors for $50 a pair, and immediate pickup.

Pads
You can go with the ones by this Ebay seller for $80 for FR and RR, but I also highly recommend Akebono pads. In my opinion, they are the best brake pads. Durable, great stopping power, no break dust.

For Installation, all you need is a C clamp, a jack, and a couple hours. Go at it. You're at $200 total out the door, and have a sweeet setup. Good Luck.
Old 08-03-08, 10:58 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I use the same rotors but keep in mind that both of my sets do have a low speed sound which can be heard from the cabin if the windows or top is down. Not overly loud but sounds as if something is scraping which it is not.

For pads I use Hawk HPS pads.
Old 08-04-08, 07:34 PM
Peter_Klim
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Ratha - you ROCK! That looks like an awesome price! Did/Do you have them on your car? Did/Do you hear the same kinda noice

PP, what do you think is causing the noise? I think it would anoy the hell out of me (ratha, you know how **** I am - LOL! )
Old 08-04-08, 08:17 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Drill pattern of the holes /slots.
Old 08-04-08, 09:23 PM
ratha67
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter_Klim
Thanks Ratha - you ROCK! That looks like an awesome price! Did/Do you have them on your car? Did/Do you hear the same kinda noice

PP, what do you think is causing the noise? I think it would anoy the hell out of me (ratha, you know how **** I am - LOL! )
Haven't gotten them on my SC yet. I'm cheap, so I refuse to change the pads out until they get at least close to needing replacement, and I also refuse to spend the time to take the calipers and rotors off, without swapping out the pads. So in about a year, as soon as my front pads have a bit more wear, I'll probably put on this same set up.

My CLK has drilled rotors. I haven't noticed much of a noise if any. That might be more of a result of the slots rather than the drilled holes. I think I might have heard the noise pearlpower is talking about on a friend's car with slotted rotors. That noise wouldn't bother me. Kind of like a light sand paper friction noise that you can't really hear with the windows and top up. But, I think its a good trade-off for how much nicer the rotors will look. I've already got my red caliper paint ready for the next brake job, still need to pick up the rotors and stickers though.

Can't wait to do it...Its a shame that my rims have to be coupled with such nasty, rusty, old calipers, and stock rotors.

If you end up getting the rotors, you'll have to post pics.