SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Third battery in less than three years!

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-08, 11:11 AM
velocity12
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Third battery in less than three years!

Well, I blew through the third battery in less than three years a couple of days ago. Took the 2002 into the dealer agaain and the charging system checked out fine. (Even went to Sears afterward and to make sure and they said everything was OK.) The original battery lasted a long time and all the replacements have been from the dealer.
The dealer believes I don't drive enough to keep the battery charged but I am sure I do. Given the fact that the battery seems to go in the summer, is it possible that the roof mechanism may be drawing power from the battery and the alternator is not doing its job? If so, is there an easy test with a multimeter I could run to check this out, or ask the dealer to perform?
Old 09-03-08, 11:36 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

I'm starting to think that the dealer batteries are just crap. The dealer replaced my battery (free) about a year ago. I just returned from a Labor Day trip where I drove 300 miles on the way home, presumably charging the battery. Yesterday morning: flat. Jumped okay and has started fine since, but this is not something we should have to worry about.
Old 09-03-08, 11:40 AM
ebruce2
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Personally I buy as little from the stealerships as possible, especially something as simple as a battery. I have an Odyssey PC1200 battery in my GS, what an amazing piece of technology.
Old 09-03-08, 12:24 PM
aquanuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought a new battery couple days ago. TBH I wouldnt buy from a dealer as your paying a premium price for no doubt an inferior product.

I have a JDM car and apparently they have a smaller battery then the US counterparts. Im not sure what the specs should be but I just did a search and found 55Ah listed for US spec SC430. Is that the size on yours?

Anyway I bought a 70AH to replace mine. I use the luxlink without the engine running frequently and do alot of short journeys with plenty of in the garage time so a beefer battery should be much better.

Actually the first battery I bought a 75AH was way too tall and I could not close the hood. I would have got an Optima but I think the physical size and battery terminal position is off alot and theres not alot of play in my battery leads.

Last edited by aquanuke; 09-03-08 at 12:32 PM.
Old 09-03-08, 12:36 PM
Habious
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I've had mine for 2 years. I have whatever battery was in it when I got it (a Lexus battery, I'm sure...the car was CPO). Had zero problems with the battery/charging system. I don't even own a set of jumper cables. I've gone from driving it every day for weeks on end to parking it for 3 or 4 days before getting in it.

I have a LuxLink and often drop the top before starting the car. I've replaced the battery in my FOB three times but, haven't done a thing to the car's battery.

Can't be climate because I live 15 miles from Johnnycake and he's saying he's having all kinds of problems.

Would be curious to measure current draw of several vehicles (those having problems and those not)...see if there's any difference.

With all the electronic crap I've added to my car, you think if anyone would have problems, it would be me.
Old 09-03-08, 03:17 PM
KiNg430
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just replaced the original panasonic mitsubishi made battery after 50k
i bought a bosch battery hope it last the same.
Old 09-04-08, 07:49 AM
DDLexus
Racer

My battery seems to be weak also. It was fine for the first couple months I owned this used car, but after leaving it at a body shop for a week (with the doors open probably), the battery was dead and they jumped it.

Now, i've not had to jump the battery again since, but it appears to struggle a little when starting. I expect that i'll be looking to buy a replacement here within the next few months.

regarding charging... If you don't run the car's accessories when the engine is off, a short trip vs. a long trip should not impact the battery. Also, battery life should typically be anywhere from 4-6 years or more. My 2001 LS430 had it's battery for 7 years before replacement.
Old 09-04-08, 05:02 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Habious
With all the electronic crap I've added to my car, you think if anyone would have problems, it would be me.
This one had me laughing. I think NASA wants to speak to you about powering the space shuttle.
Old 09-04-08, 05:27 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Average car battery life is 3 years. Some go out much sooner and of course some go out much later. Proper maintenance is required (clean clamps, water level is not too high or low,etc). Also make sure the vehicles charging system is working fine. If the sides of the battery are bulging then it is getting overcharged. If the battery smells like rotten eggs it is bad and always wear protective goggles as I have seen batteries explode like a bomb and also have seen the after effects to a persons eye after meeting battery acid-no eye left.

I went through 4 batteries in one of my old German cars. Was not the car though, just a bad run on those batteries. I have been very fortunate since then as only had one bad battery in my SC300 many moons ago.

Keep in mind that the more expensive batteries have thicker plates, plate mounting is more secure to prevent internal shorting, etc so I always recommend staying away from the low price point units. That stated I did have a Walmart battery last 3 years with no problem and I paid $22.00 for it back then.
Old 09-10-08, 06:24 AM
DDLexus
Racer

another victim... car wouldn't start this morning "click-click-click"

any suggestions on where and what battery to buy?
Old 09-10-08, 10:23 AM
DDLexus
Racer

Default replaced the Lexus battery with interstate

I called around and found that Interstate had a good price on a replacement battery. Battery was the factory model, as pictured here. Since I am the 2nd owner, I can just speculate that this was the original equipment. I think the car was sold in late 2003, so the life of it was approximately 5 years and 60k miles. Not bad! The OEM was made in Spain, and didn't have any other brand names on it like Interstate, Optima, or Excide.

I purchased the Interstate MTP-91 with 700 CCA and 880 CA. Had a 30mo FREE replacement and 85mo prorated warranty. Cost was $112.91 w/o tax.
Attached Thumbnails Third battery in less than three years!-attachment.jpg