SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Next generation SC news/discussion here

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-08, 12:46 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Next generation SC news/discussion here

As there has been several threads recently on this topic I feel it would benefit everyone to keep news on any next generation SC in one location. As information is available please feel free to discuss the next generation SC here. This is not for discussing the current SC430.

Try to keep the post positive and constructive for the benefit of everyone.

Last edited by Pearlpower; 09-07-08 at 12:49 PM.
Old 09-07-08, 12:49 PM
intdiamond
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My friend is a Lex-dealer owner and told me the SC is finished after '10. The new model IS-coupe/vertible will be the closest thing to the hole the SC will leave in the lineup , unless you consider the +$100K LF-A as a close thing, too....
Old 09-07-08, 01:06 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

I would tend to believe that Lexus will go that route as well. The market is soft for luxury cars to begin with and a 70k convertible is a niche market.
Old 09-07-08, 04:28 PM
CAMAracer
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I fail to understand how the IS can be a coupe/convertible since...the "S" in IS stand for...sedan

Originally Posted by intdiamond
My friend is a Lex-dealer owner and told me the SC is finished after '10. The new model IS-coupe/vertible will be the closest thing to the hole the SC will leave in the lineup , unless you consider the +$100K LF-A as a close thing, too....
Old 09-07-08, 05:45 PM
intdiamond
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CAMAracer
I fail to understand how the IS can be a coupe/convertible since...the "S" in IS stand for...sedan
I don't know... but there's plenty of credible evidence out there now about the IS line expanding in that direction....

http://www.automobilemag.com/future_...ble/index.html

and a bunch of threads you can search...

Last edited by intdiamond; 09-07-08 at 06:04 PM. Reason: .....
Old 09-07-08, 07:54 PM
Peter_Klim
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CAMAracer
I've owned an IS since the first year it came out and was always told IS stands for "International Sedan" but read this in Wikipedia last month: "According to Lexus, the IS designation stands for Intelligent Sport."

Maybe when it eventually comes out it will be called an "IC" or "IS-C" while still belonging to the IS family, like the IS-F, who knows...
Old 09-07-08, 10:22 PM
CAMAracer
Pole Position

The new price for the LF-A is closer to 200K, putting it now well above the reaches of 99.9% of people out there. Unfortunately, I am not out of the running for this car 100K, I could deal with...but 200K is too much when there's other alternatives like the GTR and future NSX...

So here's hoping the LF-C is the next SC, receives a new design (current one isn't that hot) and is priced in the 70-100K range.

Old 09-08-08, 09:20 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My hypotheses:

IS-c will only be offered as a hardtop convertible (why have a coupe?). It will provide Lexus its introductory V6 with sport performance to match. Expect prices between $40-55k. Prediction: Definitely will be produced. Lexus needs this to stay competitive. I predict an unveiling of the IS250c and IS350c in early '09, for release in late '09 as an MY2010.

SC will only be offered as a hardtop convertible, and will remain a V8 grand tourer. It will not have the sporty pretention that other V8 droptops have. Expect prices between $70-80k. Prediction: Delayed, but necessary to be produced. With so much time and effort in developing the LF-A, the SC was ultimately neglected. I predict that the SC430 will be dragged into 2010, and a newly designed SC460 for MY2011, to be unveiled by late '09, for release in mid-2010.

LF-A will be offered as a coupe and a cabrio. Of course, having a racing performance gene, it will be astronomically priced. Although pricing estimates have sky-rocketed, I still believe that the car will most likely be priced near $150-175k. Prediction: Highly unlikely. With the economy, rising gas prices, and imperfect performance (the engine and chassis are great, but technical engineering needs to work on a lot of bugs); I don't think it will end up in production. And if Toyota does decide to mass-produce it by the time the economy is better, I think it will be outdated rather quickly, and will only appeal to a very few collectors.

Last edited by PhilipMSPT; 09-08-08 at 09:30 AM.
Old 09-22-08, 11:06 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Many news, rumors and indications is saying there won't be a next generation SC due to very slow sales. I predict Lexus will discontinued the SC430 in 1~3 years, then no more. They might bring it back after a few years when the economy is better and they figure out how they want to go with it.

The LF-A is not going into production as of now, I think if Toyota is winning F1 and the economy is blooming, it would happen. But both are not happening, Toyota is calling it off. Toyota is lucky they are selling the $120k+ LS600hL, that is pretty crazy highend for a Japanese car company. $150k~$225k sports car, that is REALLY stretching it. Ferrari/Lamborghini shoppers absolutely do not look at any Japanese brand, doesn't matter how good and fast it is.

The IS coupe/hardtop convertible make a lot of sense, that sure is happening in the very near future.
Old 09-22-08, 01:04 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Disagree as the NSX proved that shoppers are interested in the product, just the NSX did not keep up with the times. Many pushed off the established brands to purchase the NSX and the LF-A will be no different. There will always be exceptions though.
Old 09-22-08, 02:44 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
Disagree as the NSX proved that shoppers are interested in the product, just the NSX did not keep up with the times. Many pushed off the established brands to purchase the NSX and the LF-A will be no different. There will always be exceptions though.
The NSX was always less then half the price of a comparable Ferrari (348/355/360), that was why it worked.

The LF-A with the same price as a comparable Ferrari F430/Aston Martin DB9, very few people in that market would want one. The Japanese offer reliability/longevity/value, while the European offer prestige and image. Most people who want a $200k sports car are looking for a weekend toy car to go to Sunday Brunch in, they are looking for prestige and image. They don't need the car to be reliable or long lasting since they won't drive the car much or keep it that long.

Lexus is my favorite brand as I am poor, I like cars that are reliable and long lasting so over time, they are cheap to own. If I am ever rich enough to have a $200k budget for a weekend sports car, I would not look at any Japanese brand.
Old 10-20-08, 02:16 PM
intdiamond
Lead Lap

I was just reading the Autoweek buying guide that just came out, which lists all the automakers' new models and updates to current models.... Infinity is coming out w/a G37 hardtop-vertible in a year or so... THAT should be the closest thing to the next-gen SC that's not going to happen. (They also said the SC should be "put out of it's misery already" )
Old 10-20-08, 03:32 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by intdiamond
I was just reading the Autoweek buying guide that just came out, which lists all the automakers' new models and updates to current models.... Infinity is coming out w/a G37 hardtop-vertible in a year or so... THAT should be the closest thing to the next-gen SC that's not going to happen. (They also said the SC should be "put out of it's misery already" )
The G37C is a direct competitor to the IS250C, no where near the class, quality and refinement of the SC430.

The SC430 is like the NSX, doesn't matter how incredibly dated it is, it is still a highend car with extremely high quality and refinement.
Old 10-20-08, 03:52 PM
felixsc300
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BNR34
The SC430 is like the NSX, doesn't matter how incredibly dated it is, it is still a highend car with extremely high quality and refinement.
I totally concur with this statement.
Old 10-20-08, 04:18 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Felix.
I totally concur with this statement.
Thank you

Features/electronics and quality/refinement is 2 totally different things!

Last edited by BNR34; 10-20-08 at 05:02 PM.

Quick Reply: Next generation SC news/discussion here