SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Another TPMS post

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-08, 07:29 AM
DDLexus
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Another TPMS post

To my surprise, the TPMS light came on during my short drive home from work yesterday. I figured I probably ran over a nail and one of my tires was going flat. When I got home, I visually checked all four tires. All looked OK. So I used my tire pressure gauge to get actual readings. They were between 29psi and 32psi. I read the pressure should be 33psi, so I added air to all of them. I started the car again to see if that fixed it.... It appears that was not the problem. I read the manual and saw the information on the secondary TPMS switch. So, i double-checked it and toggled between primary and secondary settings. I returned it back to the Master setting and left it alone.

This morning, started the car... no light? What? I'm thankful the light is off, but what changed? I drove to work, about 10minutes, and didn't have any issues. I wonder what did the trick? Was it the lag time from the addition of air, a weak battery in a sensor, or the toggle between the master and secondary settings?

Any ideas?
Old 09-16-08, 08:10 AM
Habious
Pole Position

That's EXACTLY how mine started failing....see THIS post.

Right down to thinking it was the switch in the glove box.

I've now had 3 of the 4 sensors replaced...one at a time as they've failed. PITA.
Old 09-16-08, 09:27 AM
intdiamond
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[quote]"Was it the lag time from the addition of air, a weak battery in a sensor, or the toggle between the master and secondary settings?"

My TPMS light goes off immediately after adding air to bring it to the right pressure level.

Every year at this time my TPMS light goes on and off as the temperature fluctuates so much in this region. It was 83 degrees a couple days ago and barely 50 degrees last night.... I have to add air to get the light to go off. Once the temps stabilize (read: it gets COLD) the problem goes away till spring, when it starts all over again.
Old 09-16-08, 10:38 AM
DDLexus
Racer

A cold front did go thru yesterday and the temp and humidity dropped by about 15 degrees. I can only hope that it is just a ambient temperature issue.

Has anyone posted a poll on how long before the TPMS failed? My car is a 2004, so it's roughly 5 years old. I am curious about what is average life of this item.
Old 09-16-08, 01:31 PM
Dottiebubb
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just went thru "IKE" and TPM light went on. All tires needed some additional pressure after the cold front and the light went out immediately.
Old 09-17-08, 05:54 AM
olsliproc
Driver School Candidate

Hey guys honestly its not worth mucking with these things they are expensive and any good driver knows when he/she has a flat tire etc. Just dis engage the tpm under the console it works great and reduces worry on those costly head aches..
Old 09-17-08, 06:11 AM
DDLexus
Racer

Originally Posted by olsliproc
Hey guys honestly its not worth mucking with these things they are expensive and any good driver knows when he/she has a flat tire etc. Just dis engage the tpm under the console it works great and reduces worry on those costly head aches..
Spoken like someone who is tired of this technology and doesn't appreciate protection that a TPMS has to offer. For runflat users, this is critical. For non-runflats, this is a simple convenience. Just like wiper fluid alert, and low fuel warnings.

Sure, it cost money to fix, but that's what you deal with when your car is outside of the factory bumper-to-bumper warranty. right?
Old 09-22-08, 03:12 AM
clint999
Driver School Candidate

[quote]"Was it the lag time from the addition of air, a weak battery in a sensor, or the toggle between the master and secondary settings?"

My TPMS light goes off immediately after adding air to bring it to the right pressure level.

Every year at this time my TPMS light goes on and off as the temperature fluctuates so much in this region. It was 83 degrees a couple days ago and barely 50 degrees last night.... I have to add air to get the light to go off. Once the temps stabilize (read: it gets COLD) the problem goes away till spring, when it starts all over again.