SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

WEIRD: Parking Brake light comes on during deceleration -- any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-08, 04:49 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts
Arrow WEIRD: Parking Brake light comes on during deceleration -- any ideas?

I don't use the parking brake. Lately, the parking brake light has come on during deceleration, albeit randomly, maybe two or three times a commute, although some commutes not at all.

This is definitely a deceleration thing and not a brake thing. To check, I downshifted without touching the brake and got it to happen once.

I have applied the parking brake and released it, making sure that it releases fully.

Any idea what I could try before heading to the dealer, where I know I could not get it to repeat????

-- Johnny Cakes
Old 10-23-08, 05:29 PM
intdiamond
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyCake
I don't use the parking brake. Lately, the parking brake light has come on during deceleration, albeit randomly, maybe two or three times a commute, although some commutes not at all.

This is definitely a deceleration thing and not a brake thing. To check, I downshifted without touching the brake and got it to happen once.

I have applied the parking brake and released it, making sure that it releases fully.

Any idea what I could try before heading to the dealer, where I know I could not get it to repeat????

-- Johnny Cakes
Did you do any rear-brake work recently? That could mess w/the park-brake sensor; even if you're not touching the brake the deceleration could trigger it if it's loose or outa place... otherwise you probs have a Japanese Gremlin!
Old 10-23-08, 05:46 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Parking brake light

Originally Posted by intdiamond
Did you do any rear-brake work recently? That could mess w/the park-brake sensor; even if you're not touching the brake the deceleration could trigger it if it's loose or outa place... otherwise you probs have a Japanese Gremlin!
I thought I read in one of the shop manuals that the sensor for the parking brake is actually in the parking brake pedal assemble . I could be wrong but I remember when we were installing the luxlink in my car I noticed a switch in the brake assemble when we peeled back the side cover to gain access to the ecu. I would check for a loose wire and or a to sensitive adjustment .

Buddy
Old 10-23-08, 05:57 PM
intdiamond
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mrblister
I thought I read in one of the shop manuals that the sensor for the parking brake is actually in the parking brake pedal assemble . I could be wrong but I remember when we were installing the luxlink in my car I noticed a switch in the brake assemble when we peeled back the side cover to gain access to the ecu. I would check for a loose wire and or a to sensitive adjustment .

Buddy
I agree; what I meant to post was that the actual park-brake is part of the rear brake assembly... not the sensor. Sorry for the confusion....
Old 10-23-08, 06:38 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Originally Posted by intdiamond
I agree; what I meant to post was that the actual park-brake is part of the rear brake assembly... not the sensor. Sorry for the confusion....
No brake work or anything else, really. Can you describe more specifically where this is and what I should do?
Old 10-24-08, 01:06 AM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

isn't the parking brake and regular brake the same light? if so, maybe your brake fluid is low and when you decelerate, the fluid all rushes to the front of the reservoir, causing it to dip below the sensor.
Old 10-24-08, 08:32 AM
SaddleSC
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Fluid

Jason702 is exactly right on the money. I have a 2004 SC430 that experienced the exact same thing. I mentioned it to the service advisor when I took it in for routine maintenance and they said that the fluid was low. They topped it off . . . problem solved.
Old 10-24-08, 08:39 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

yep, brake fluid
Old 10-24-08, 12:59 PM
HKSC430
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Likely Low Brake Fluid Level

The low brake fluid level seems to trigger the warning light easier in the SC 430 than in other vehicles.

The solution is to top up the brake fluid abit.
Old 10-24-08, 01:06 PM
ratha67
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1
low brake fluid

also if your brake fluid is low, that might be a good time to take a look at your brake pads. Might be getting a bit thin.

If you fill your brake fluid reservoir now, when you replace your pads, be ready to have that reservoir overflow once the thicker pads are put in and the caliper pistons sit further back.
Old 10-25-08, 12:43 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Hey, guess what? My brake fluid was a few ounces low. I topped it off today and will report back for posterity whether that fixed the problem.

Thanks guys--checked brake lights, but never would have figured fluid.