SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Sirius and Ipod and Garmin!

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-08, 07:23 PM
driftway
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sirius and Ipod and Garmin!

Sorry to rehash this, but in my search I just can't find how people can discreetly hardwire the power cords and aux jacks of these 2 items, using hidden jacks, into the existing 2002 SC430 existing system without wires everywhere.
The Vais does not seem to apply to 2002 SC430.
And while I'm at it, anyone have a good source for the most current disc for the 2002 nav system?
I'll probably just use my Garmin Nuvi, but that's another story - where to mount that?

thanks!
Old 10-31-08, 06:03 AM
Habious
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Vais does make a unit for the 2002-2004 SC430's...the SLU. It gives you 2 auxiliary inputs. You can use one for your Sirius and the other for your iPod.

However, you don't get control of the devices via the factory controls.

When I had my Sirius Satellite Radio installed this way, I put the radio in the ashtray. This way there were a) no visible wires b) I could easy access it to see the display and/or change stations and c) I could close the ashtray door and there was no sign of it at all.

You could easily run an audio cable up into the center console and store your iPod there. Again, you'd have relatively easy access, it's out-of-the-way/hidden from plain sight, and there's no visible wires.

As for power, there's switched 12V in the ashtray...that's what I used for my Sirius. For the iPod, you could either run off that same 12V or grab 12V from the power plug in the bottom of the center console.

I can't speak for the Garmin - I've been very happy with the factory navigation system once I updated to the 2006 data (will be buying the '08 disk here soon).
Old 10-31-08, 01:03 PM
driftway
Driver School Candidate

thanks, I guess I need to buy a smaller sirius head unit to fit in ashtray. What is the secret to running the wires especially to sat antenna - rear deck, I assume?
Old 10-31-08, 02:14 PM
Habious
Pole Position

The Sat radio antenna can be a bit tricky. I installed mine on the trunk. Ran the wire through the 3rd brake-light assembly.

I've installed Sirius in another CL member's car and we ended up putting it on the rear deck, JUST behind the plexi windscreen. There's JUST BARELY enough room if you use a small antenna. Be sure to check for clearance with the rear deck if you do it here. The larger portion of the deck swings up when the top goes up/down.

A few folks here have installed it on the front of the car, above the windshield, and run the wire through the windshield gasket.

Some folks even put the antenna on the dashboard, inside the car, facing out the windshield, and they say reception is fine.

I chose the location I did because that's where most car manufacturers put theirs...and I'm sure they've run tests as to the best location. Also, I have a few years experience with RF communications. A clear, unobstructed view of the sky with a large metal ground-plane underneath it is the best location for an antenna.

But, the guy who has it installed on the back deck has given me no complaints about reception; and he's a real whiner. If he'd had a problem, I'd have heard about it.

I used the Sirius Starmate receiver...fits in the ashtray nicely.

Last edited by Habious; 11-01-08 at 11:54 AM. Reason: Updated Sirius Radio Pic
Old 11-01-08, 07:14 AM
ZMonet
Driver School Candidate

Habious -- I'm looking for a Sirius receiver with the right dimensions for the ashtray. Which Starmate did you end up using? I want to make sure I get one that fits the spot. The image that you posted isn't coming up. Thanks!

Starmate 5

Starmate 4

Starmate 3
Old 11-01-08, 11:53 AM
Habious
Pole Position

I found a different picture...we'll see if that one works.

It's the "Starmate Replay". I've looked at some of the newer ones but, I see a problem with the new docking station system they use. The new receivers connect everything on the bottom, via the docking station. I don't' think there's enough room in the ashtray for the receiver AND the docking station.

The Starmate Replay has all of the connectors on the left side (which you can see in the pic, assuming it shows up).
Old 11-01-08, 03:24 PM
ZMonet
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Habious! You might have been over this before, but do I have to make any mods to the ashtray in order to get it to fit in there? I took a look at the ashtray dimensions and it seems quite small. Thanks for your help. My wife can't stand terrestrial radio and she desperately wants Sirius before she starts using this car as her daily driver.
Old 11-01-08, 09:18 PM
driftway
Driver School Candidate

ok, are these satellite antenna wires routed by owners or technicians?
I mean, can I just take a drill and go through the ashtray and under dash to dashboard or under carpet to rear deck?
Old 11-02-08, 05:39 AM
Habious
Pole Position

Originally Posted by driftway
ok, are these satellite antenna wires routed by owners or technicians?
I mean, can I just take a drill and go through the ashtray and under dash to dashboard or under carpet to rear deck?
I, as an owner (and as a technically-minded person) ran the antenna wires. To run wires through to the back-deck, you need to pull out the rear seat and headrests. Instructions for that are all over the board. And yes, they'll go under the carpet.

Originally Posted by ZMonet
Thanks Habious! You might have been over this before, but do I have to make any mods to the ashtray in order to get it to fit in there? I took a look at the ashtray dimensions and it seems quite small. Thanks for your help. My wife can't stand terrestrial radio and she desperately wants Sirius before she starts using this car as her daily driver.
Yes, I had to, for lack of a better word, destroy the ashtray and make a mount for the receiver. The ashtray isn't deep enough to hold the receiver and be able to close the door without modifying the ashtray significantly. I basically cut out the back of the ashtray, mounted the satellite radio in there, and then put a piece of black construction paper in behind it, so you couldn't see any of the car's "guts" between the gaps.

I didn't want to do this but, I didn't find any other options.

Here's a picture of what it looked like in the ashtray.

Old 11-02-08, 06:25 AM
ZMonet
Driver School Candidate

Thanks again Habious. One more question. When you modified the ashtray, did you use a hacksaw or what did you use? Did you modify the part where the cigarette lighter plugs in too, or did you leave that intact?

Looks like I have a project in my near future.
Old 11-03-08, 05:40 AM
Habious
Pole Position

I used a Dremel rotary tool. I use that sucker for everything, including trimming/shaping my toenails.
Old 11-03-08, 07:09 AM
ZMonet
Driver School Candidate

LOL. Thanks Habious. And what about the part where the cigarette lighter plugs in? Did you leave that intact? I have some concerns about cutting too much and destroying the portion set up for the ash tray cover.
Old 11-03-08, 07:41 AM
Habious
Pole Position

I destroyed/removed the cigarette lighter and the "ashtray" part of it to make room for the receiver. The area on the right (passenger) side of the ashtray has to stay intact because that's where the gears/mechanism for the ashtray door is located. I removed everything else.

In fact, now that I no longer have Sirius in that location (Sirius is now integrated into my carPC), I need to rebuild my ashtray. The Sirius receiver is still in the ashtray, just so there's not a gaping hole leading into the bowels of my console!

The semi-good news is that, if you're careful and don't cut/modify the trip piece itself, you can replace the whole ashtray/cigarette lighter assembly (it's got 4 screws holding it onto the trim piece).
Old 11-04-08, 01:22 PM
ZMonet
Driver School Candidate

I need to get a Dremel for this project. Can you recommend one Habious? I bought a cheap one once, but it wasn't even good for trimming the dogs nails let alone cutting through plastic. Thanks.
Old 11-04-08, 02:05 PM
Habious
Pole Position

Something like this would be all you need....
Dremel 300 Series Rotary Tool Kit

(If, for some reason, the link doesn't work, go to www.homedepot.com and type in "dremel" in the search box. It's the "Dremel 300 Series Rotary Tool Kit", for $59.97)

The cordless ones seem nice for convenience but, they've got no "oomph" to them. Take a corded one, set it for 35,000 RPM and that bad boy will do some damage! (Wear eye protection!!!!)

The fiber-reinforced cut-off wheels work well for plastic. You want to use a lower RPM setting, otherwise the plastic tends to melt and you won't get a clean cut.

My main piece of advice when doing something like this...take your time and work in small sections. It's easy to cut a little bit...then a little more. Once you've cut too much, there's no going back. But, if you don't cut enough, it's a simple task to cut a little more.

Quick Reply: Sirius and Ipod and Garmin!