SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

K&N drop in filter performance?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-08, 05:54 AM
adi
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile K&N drop in filter performance?

Hi everyone, I stopped by a local parts store(Advanced Auto Parts) with the intention of buying a replacement filter. However, before I purchased the paper filter, the guy who worked behind the desk, showed me an experiment with a fan and a ping ping ball. While using K&N filter you could see a much better airflow vs. regular filter which restricted the airflow (did not move the ball at all). I bought(on line order) 2 K&N filters for my wife's and my car and installed them. I can tell you that without reseting the ECU, everything works fine and this new filter offers 1.5-2 miles more /gallon (tested only for a short distance/20-30 miles).
I was expecting a bit more sound from this filter since the increased airflow.
Anybody has any opinion about these filters? Your inputs will be appreciated.

Last edited by adi; 11-11-08 at 06:51 AM.
Old 11-06-08, 08:04 AM
SpinAll4
Former Sponsor - Cancelled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by adi
Hi everyone, I stopped by a local parts store(Advanced Auto Parts) with the intention of buying a replacement filter. However, before I purchased the paper filter, the guy who worked behind the desk, showed me an experiment with a fan and a ping ping ball. While using K&N filter you could see a much better airflow vs. regular filter which restricted the airflow (did not move the ball at all). I bought 2 K&N filters for my wife's and my car and installed them. I can tell you that without reseting the ECU, everything works fine and this new filter offers 1.5-2 miles more /gallon.
When I got home I started to read about these filters and there are pros and cons. I was wondering in our specific car sc 430, could they really do any damage to the engine? In this case I would get rid of them and forget about the 2 extra miles per gallon savings. Your inputs will be appreciated.
I've never seen the 1.5-2 MPG on any of the cars I put K&N's on. Maybe closer to .5 to 0 in gains, but I've used K&N's on every car I've ever owned and never had any problems with them. I believe the problems come from people cleaning them, then reapplying way too much filter oil. The filter oil then contaminates the MAF, and that's where problems come from.
Old 11-07-08, 05:57 AM
bbatts
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have always heard good things about K&N filters. What is the down side besides being expensive? I installed K&N in a new Ford PU V8 without any change in gas mileage.