SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

help w. clunk. Its killing me.

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-08, 07:03 PM
Tensi
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default help w. clunk. Its killing me.

I have that terrible clunk from the front end, mostly on cold starts. It occurs with change of direction. Best shown on k turns. I have read all the threads, and pm'ed forum vets. I ended up having a new "front fit kit" installed. The noise is definitely better, but its still there. Doesn't happen as often, or as severe in sound level. But its still there. I honestly love this car, but this dang noise is making me insane. It truly is taking a lot of the joy of the car for me. Please, PLEASE... you guys are my last resort. Is there anything I can do???

Thanks sooo much everyone. Seriously.
Old 12-04-08, 07:11 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Under what conditions does this occur. Turning only? Backward then going forward? Over bumps? There are many components up front that will cause bumps such as struts, springs, sway bar, control arms, ball joints, brakes, etc.

Keep in mind that the front rear lower control arm does go out frequently and when the bushing does wear the metal portion will clunk. Same goes for bushings everyone under the car.
Best to get a very thorough inspection using a pry bar to check for loose components.

Too bad your not closer otherwise I would volunteer a free inspection at my place.
Old 12-04-08, 07:42 PM
Tensi
Intermediate

Hi. I appreciate the sentiment, I seriously do. Thanks.

It doesn't happen over bumps, and the car is very stable. It seems almost always going backwards then forwards and while backing up as well. It happens mid movement which makes it so strange to me. And usually my foot is somewhat on the brake pedal (think K turn in a somewhat narrow driveway).

I have taken it to three different Lexus dealerships about this, and one independent. No one could find anything and they all swear "this is normal for all SC's and most newer Lexus'."

I wish I was more mechanically inclined to fix this. But truthfully, I just don't have the actual know how.

Last edited by Tensi; 12-04-08 at 07:46 PM.
Old 12-07-08, 05:03 AM
EJC
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Tensi
Hi. I appreciate the sentiment, I seriously do. Thanks.

It doesn't happen over bumps, and the car is very stable. It seems almost always going backwards then forwards and while backing up as well. It happens mid movement which makes it so strange to me. And usually my foot is somewhat on the brake pedal (think K turn in a somewhat narrow driveway).

I have taken it to three different Lexus dealerships about this, and one independent. No one could find anything and they all swear "this is normal for all SC's and most newer Lexus'."

I wish I was more mechanically inclined to fix this. But truthfully, I just don't have the actual know how.
We sometime get a clunk when the car shifts from a stop. The dealer found no problem. The car is leased so they'll get it back next year.
Old 12-07-08, 05:19 AM
Tensi
Intermediate

Anyone have any ideas on if I can grease a component to resolve this? Cause the replaced part seems to have helped, so I want to believe it is related and some sort of friction eliminator is needed... plus thats part of what I read in my searching. Any details or ideas are greatly appreciated.
Old 12-07-08, 12:09 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

anti sway bars bushings under brackets need grease . I would check this first. I have daizen antio sway bars on mine and it comes with urathane busings. I also bought new brackets that have zerks on them so you can grease the busings with out having to take apart. Search files for daizen sway bars you will find pictures and lots of good info

Buddy

Last edited by mrblister; 12-07-08 at 12:10 PM. Reason: added
Old 12-08-08, 04:27 PM
Tensi
Intermediate

Really??? Thanks! I will search now!

edit: looks like thats for a squeak issue. Mine is a straight "clunk". I wish I could lube the clips or something.

Last edited by Tensi; 12-08-08 at 04:37 PM.
Old 05-03-09, 01:30 PM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

check your sway bar bolts, my car made a similar noise and tightening the bolts helped my problems
Old 05-03-09, 03:21 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

Are you sure that it is not your brakes? My clunk like that also on a direction change. The dealer confirmed that it was the brakes and that it was normal. Something about the floating brake pads (or some weak explanation like that).
Old 05-03-09, 03:53 PM
FunGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
front rear lower control arm does go out frequently and when the bushing does wear the metal portion will clunk. .
Happened to me already.... Had to do what Pearlpower said... problem fixed.
Old 05-05-09, 10:21 PM
Turboo
Pole Position

I had the same thing SC2004 and the dealer charged me around $200 and fix it. they say the opend the rotors and pads cleaned it and greesed some breaking parts and the sound demolished. After two weeks the sound came back?!!!!!!
Old 05-06-09, 09:42 AM
flygirl62
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all, I'm new to this forum with a new (to me) '06, one of those 'CPO' cars. Mine has just over 12,000 miles on it and I love it.

I, too, have noticed the clunk as described, when doing a 3-point turn or when first moving forward after reversing and turning. It only happens once, usually coming to a stop with the wheels turned, and not at all when driving.

I parked the car with the wheels turned and pushed on the LH front tire with the car in park and the brake set, and sure enough, I heard this metallic click/clunk sound coming from what seemed like the center front of the car.

I looked underneath and it doesn't seem like it had been in an accident with new parts under there...surely it's not normal, or has to do with the brakes...?

It's a difficult noise to reproduce reliably, so difficult to diagnose. Besides, way I figure it this is a good way for me to get to know the car better.

From what little I know, it sounds like a bushing somewhere is worn, or maybe the swaybar brackets are loose as suggested above.

It's a great automobile, so little things like this seem to stand out more, somehow.

Thank you!!
Old 05-06-09, 10:58 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 105 Likes on 83 Posts

That's the sound of the brakes alignning back to the rotors when being reversed than forwarded. Completely NORMAL.
Old 05-06-09, 12:54 PM
Tensi
Intermediate

This noise is not normal. If it is, this car is complete ****. I have taken it to several dealers numerous times each. No one can find it. One dealer replicated and installed new shim kit as well as pads, and greased all points. It still exists.

Its tough to fix as it only seems to happen a few times when completely cold.
Old 05-06-09, 02:05 PM
flygirl62
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nope, definitely not normal and I'm feeling quite sure it's not the brakes. It's like a worn out ball joint, or something loose under there as has been suggested, I'd bet on it.

Suspension, definitely, I think the control arm or like that would be my prime suspect. Not brakes, that may be another problem but not this one.

Taking to dealer this weekend. Kind of a drag, this.

Quick Reply: help w. clunk. Its killing me.