SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Cheapest cell phone with Bluetooth push, just to upload contacts?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-08, 08:42 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Cheapest cell phone with Bluetooth push, just to upload contacts?

There was a thread earlier this week which indicated that any cell phone with Bluetooth push could be used to upload contacts to the SC, regardless of whether it has a SIM card or is activated.

First, if anyone has any info to dispute that, definitely post here!

Second, it seems like it might be possible to pick up an old crummy cell phone on eBay with outdated technology that's not worth very much, just to use its Bluetooth push capability to take an Outlook contact list and upload it to the SC.

Anyone have an ideas for cell phone models with the ability to upload the whole phone book at once (not just each contact one-by-one) which might be had cheaply on eBay?

P.S. Got a PM that the Treo 650 might be a good choice and it seems to be about $40 on eBay with shipping -- anyone confirm that it works for uploading the entire phone book at once?

Last edited by JohnnyCake; 12-12-08 at 10:00 PM. Reason: Additional info
Old 12-13-08, 01:35 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

as far as i know. There is no phone capable of loading the entire address book at once. I have a 2005 sc gen 4. I had to load each contact one at a time. On my new Iphone 3g I do get the static burst. I called apple they had me lower the volume on the phone. They also started a case file on the Lexus sc 430. Any one else with same problem call apple and do the same. If enough of us complain thye may try and fix it. I can live with it for now. It sems to happen on begginning of dial.

BUDDY
Old 12-13-08, 02:56 AM
Jackalope
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mrblister
as far as i know. There is no phone capable of loading the entire address book at once. I have a 2005 sc gen 4. I had to load each contact one at a time. On my new Iphone 3g I do get the static burst. I called apple they had me lower the volume on the phone. They also started a case file on the Lexus sc 430. Any one else with same problem call apple and do the same. If enough of us complain thye may try and fix it. I can live with it for now. It sems to happen on begginning of dial.

BUDDY
Sorry Buddy, that's incorrect. I transfer my entire phone book into contacts regularly with my plain old blackberry.
Old 12-13-08, 06:55 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Originally Posted by Jackalope
I transfer my entire phone book into contacts regularly with my plain old blackberry.
Could you indicate what model number Blackberry you have?
How does the SC handle multiple phone numbers for the same contact?
Does the SC balk on non-numeric symbols like ()?
Old 12-13-08, 09:44 AM
Jackalope
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JohnnyCake
Could you indicate what model number Blackberry you have?
Sure. It's the 8830.

Now that is a PITA. It just gives one of the numbers and I see no way to change them. I have to make multiple contacts in my bb address book if I want multiple numbers. For example, "Mom Home", "Mom Cell".

Can't really say. I don't have many of those and I haven't tried to call any that have that sort of character.

One thing that is a real pain is that it loads the address book, but once there, I see no way to edit it. The only way to change something in the telephone book is to do a reload.

But if you're trying to find a compatible phone, why not just go to the Lexus Knowledge Center and use one on the list? Look over on the right side of this page and it will give you a search for compatible phones.

http://www.lexus.com/models/LS/acces...bluetooth.html

Last edited by Jackalope; 12-13-08 at 09:50 AM.
Old 12-13-08, 10:55 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Originally Posted by Jackalope
Sure. It's the 8830.

Now that is a PITA. It just gives one of the numbers and I see no way to change them. I have to make multiple contacts in my bb address book if I want multiple numbers. For example, "Mom Home", "Mom Cell".
I guess I could figure this out by trial and error, but which number does it "take" (e.g. home, office, fax, etc) -- I'm going to have to set this up special so I might as well put it in the right place.

Until your message, it never dawned on me that my wife's Blackberry (which she uses only for email) is actually a cell phone too. I have high hopes that this is going to work, assuming I can figure out how to give the Blackberry a command to "send" the contact list.

]But if you're trying to find a compatible phone, why not just go to the Lexus Knowledge Center and use one on the list? Look over on the right side of this page and it will give you a search for compatible phones.

http://www.lexus.com/models/LS/acces...bluetooth.html
Good idea, but I wonder what Lexus thinks "compatible" means. They might just mean the phone will pair, not that all advance features will work. Or they might think that "contact-by-contact" uploading is compatible. But it is a great place to start.
Old 12-13-08, 11:48 AM
Jackalope
Pole Position

On your wife's blackberry, go to the "Blackberry Setup" and press the options key (on mine, that's the second from the left with all the dots on it). In that options list you'll see "Transfer Address Book". Pair that up with the below directions and you should be good to go.

Old 12-13-08, 05:55 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Thanks -- I'm good on the Lexus side and can upload one-by-one with my cell phone. I was hoping the wife's Blackberry Storm would upload the whole book at once. Unfortunately, as a government-issued phone, Bluetooth is disabled.

Found a link to phones which should upload to the car:
http://www.cellular-store.com/categorybluetooth.aspx
if the OPP column is green, your phone should upload, at least via the one contact at a time method.

But my quest for a phone which will upload the whole phone book at once continues. So far, the Blackberry 8830 is the only one which anyone has mentioned.
Old 12-16-08, 01:15 AM
Jackalope
Pole Position

Interesting.

If I have time, I might grab my wife's razr and see how that does. If I can get to it, I'll let you know.