SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Why all the Run Flat hate???

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-08, 11:10 AM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

before i changed my wheels and disabled the tps system, the warning would come on when a tire was about 3 psi low. which is about right for letting you know you have a leak. it's easy enough to figure out which tire with a gauge. some newer cars do give you a readout of the psi in each tire. my friend's g37 has it and it seems accurate. there are a lot of reasons not to use runflats, but this isn't one for me. it's actually a bit harder for me to tell with regular tires. i have 20" wheels, so my tires are low profile. by the time i can see a tire is getting low, it's usually at least 5 psi low.
Old 12-31-08, 01:09 PM
dcgamer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'm still rolling on the stock potenza RFT that came stocked with my sc i got this past summer..a while ago i noticed the tire pressure monitor system indicating they needed air, came in handy and had it taken care of. the ride is bumpy to be honest but i don't really notice it as when i first drove it, however I am interested in seeing how the drive improves with different/newer tires.

my only grievance is the fact RFT's are tricky when going rim shopping as my dealership hasn't given me a straight answer if non-OEM rims conflict with runflats..they've just gave a me 'we're not sure type of response', anyone have a say in this?
Old 12-31-08, 02:02 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why, other than the expense, harsh ride, poor handling, limited tire selection.
Old 12-31-08, 02:18 PM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dcgamer

my only grievance is the fact RFT's are tricky when going rim shopping as my dealership hasn't given me a straight answer if non-OEM rims conflict with runflats..they've just gave a me 'we're not sure type of response', anyone have a say in this?
you can put runflats on any wheels (assuming they make a runflat in the size you want). the only issue would be whether or not they're tps compatible. if you can't put the sensors in, you probably won't know you have a flat until your tire is trashed. any tire/wheel shop should know this. if they don't you're shopping in the wrong place.
Old 12-31-08, 04:35 PM
Jackalope
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ghfoto
LOL...

What a way to break into a forum, LOL.

Ok...

I like them for the percieved safety value of them.

I just feel confident in case of a blow out.

But I see everyone's point.

Gene
Don't feel like the Lone Ranger...sort of.

I've got them on my SC and my Vette too. I love the idea that I'm not going to be laying down in the mud on some rainy night trying to get a jack under the things. I love the security it gives my wife knowing she's not going to be stranded on the highway. I love the standard pressure sensors.

But I hate the ride and the noise.
Old 12-31-08, 05:17 PM
EJC
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by ghfoto
LOL...

What a way to break into a forum, LOL.

Ok...

I like them for the percieved safety value of them.

I just feel confident in case of a blow out.

But I see everyone's point.

Gene
BLOWOUT - rethink your comment.
Runflats are useless in blowout situations, they're the same as any other tire.

They'll only protect you when you take a nail to the tread and lose air.
Old 12-31-08, 06:52 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

When I lived in Mexico they had some good value when you were on the highways, where the chance of a multiple puncture (and blowout in some rare cases) due to garbage on the road and you were in a remote area. Even then out in the middle of the desert in say between Mexico City going up to Monterrey, you can find a lot of tire repair places on the side of the road known as vulcanizadoras who do superb job of patching up one's tire for often just $5 USD or so (hold's up better than a worm).
Old 01-01-09, 05:18 AM
jimmer!
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

after all the test drives, after my 04 SC430 purchase and after driving the car for awhile, it blew my mind that Lexus would OEM runflats on this upscale, cool, personal, sleek roadster. after finally finding a tire shop that could do 'road force balancing' and being assured that any steering wheel chatter and destructive feel was from the runflats, I gave up on them and switched to conventional low profiles, bought a plug-in tire pump and then a new/used donut. it still blows my mind that Lexus would put us through all of this.
now, with the conventionals, the SC430 is the way it should have been along - a real beauty with a nice sporty ride feel.