Search this Thread

Old 12-29-08, 06:01 PM
ghfoto
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why all the Run Flat hate???

Hey all...

I'm a newb to this forum.

So I'll introduce myself and start a heated debate, LOL.

I like the Run Flats.

Granted - I hate the costs of them.

But I love how they have that sensor that tells me when I need air - and when the tire is actually flat.

Ok... debate me...

Gene
Old 12-29-08, 06:46 PM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

they are rigid. that means you're riding on very little cushion. which means you feel every little bump in the road.
Old 12-29-08, 06:47 PM
CBG
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ghfoto
Hey all...

I'm a newb to this forum.

So I'll introduce myself and start a heated debate, LOL.

I like the Run Flats.

Granted - I hate the costs of them.

But I love how they have that sensor that tells me when I need air - and when the tire is actually flat.

Ok... debate me...

Gene
Uh the sensor has nothing to do with having runflats. I just bought new rims and regular tires that have the sensors also. I know on mine the sensors are on the rims.
Old 12-29-08, 06:56 PM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

they're heavy and rock hard...a no no in terms of ride comfort and performance
Old 12-29-08, 08:02 PM
EJC
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Kaydee
they're heavy and rock hard...a no no in terms of ride comfort and performance
They also like to grab any rut in the road and take off on their own. Not a pleasant situation
Old 12-29-08, 08:21 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I test drove my first SC430 over the weekend and didnt seem like the thing was riding like a subway car. It was stiff but in a german kind of way. I would change them out in the future but wouldnt flip out if the used car my brother is looking at can only come with the run flats as part of the deal
Old 12-30-08, 04:57 AM
FLYINGFUN
Driver School Candidate

Recently coming off of a 2001 Audi TT I can tell you riding in the SC with the run flats is like riding in a new LS460 with pillows for tires. The Audi was pretty bad and noisy; the new one are a whole lot better however. But I know what you guys are talking about regarding the harsh ride.

I think when the tires need replacing I will try to buy some wheels and non-run flat tires though. I sure would like to be able to see some wheels and tires in person so that I could make sure of no rubbing, etc.

Great site!
Old 12-30-08, 06:56 AM
tfischer

Received 228 Likes on 168 Posts

. . . and when you do have a flat, you can only travel 50 miles at slow speed to find service that will be able to take the runflat off the rim without damage (pretty tricky) and be able to get a new runflat for you (rare and probably time comsuming). In many situations, you wind up needing a tow to a Lexus or Toyota dealer or to an upmarket tire dealer equipped to deal with your problem. This is the same as having a flat with no spare, and all that while you endured the harsh ride.
Old 12-30-08, 08:48 AM
PHXSC
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not much of a debate here - kind of one-sided towards standard tires.
I've never seen it on this forum that someone posted regretting they changed from run-flats.
It is a totally different car in terms of ride and handling.
The one thing I hated the most, as mentioned above, is the tracking of seams in the road.
Old 12-30-08, 09:31 AM
jonra99
Driver School Candidate

Run Flats are only fair the first 5000 miles. After that they're horrible. Very harsh, hard, loud, all the other things mentioned earlier - especially after the first 5000 miles.
Old 12-30-08, 09:46 AM
ghfoto
Driver School Candidate

LOL...

What a way to break into a forum, LOL.

Ok...

I like them for the percieved safety value of them.

I just feel confident in case of a blow out.

But I see everyone's point.

Gene
Old 12-30-08, 11:17 AM
Yes

blowout are extremely rare with modern tires. and even in those cases, it's usually due to grossly improper tire pressure. with the quality of tires most sc owners use, i don't think it's a risk at all.
Old 12-30-08, 05:46 PM
v8haha
Driver School Candidate

I actually dont like the fact that I can't tell if my tire pressure is low with the runflats. With regular tires, you can usually eyeball a low pressure tire, but with the runflats you can never tell.
Old 12-30-08, 06:06 PM
Yes

Originally Posted by v8haha
I actually dont like the fact that I can't tell if my tire pressure is low with the runflats. With regular tires, you can usually eyeball a low pressure tire, but with the runflats you can never tell.
that's what the tire pressure sensors are for
Old 12-31-08, 06:03 AM
tfischer

Received 228 Likes on 168 Posts

No, not really. These sensors will not tell you that the pressure is "getting low," they will only tell you that the tire pressure (in one of your tires, take a guess as to which one) is so far gone that you need to head to a service facility now.
I think that there are newer sensors in some cars that will actually give a readout of the psi for each tire, which would be nice, if it were accurate.
I've had my 2002 since 2001, and here's how I handle the tires now: the runflats are gone and I have Pilot Sports, which are a great improvement. I have a spare tire from the dealer (but not the "kit") which I use on trips, when the top is up anyway. In town, I just take my chances and keep my AAA up to date. Flats are rare, and I have not had one in 10 years or so, but I do not want to have a flat on a trip not near a good size city with no spare and the need to find a high tec tire place to replace a run flat (which can sometimes take days to get a tire in and installed, probably incorrectly). So that's how I roll.

Quick Reply: Why all the Run Flat hate???