SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

SC430 Door Alignment

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-09, 07:48 PM
ntr987
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SC430 Door Alignment

I have been noticing some wind noise coming from the top part of the drivers window. I checked the rubber molding on the door and along the car and could not find any anomalies.

I notice small amounts of water dripping into the car when Im getting a car wash. So, obviously the door is not sealing properly. I do not think there is a problem with the rubber molding but I think the door is slightly off alignment and not providing enough pressure against the rubber molding to create the necessary seal.

I searched the forum and could not find anything on door alignment. Anyone with similar problems?
Old 01-11-09, 01:03 AM
Jackalope
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just curious, I can't help you in either case but why do you think it's the door that needs alignment rather than the top?
Old 01-11-09, 04:01 PM
ntr987
Driver School Candidate

The lexus dealership replaced the rubber molding and it had only a minor impact on the problem. I will have to contact a body shop. I will post some pictures so you can understand what I am taking about. The door closes fine and is aligned horizontally, but I think vertically the door is off alignment.

I know this sounds confusing, I will post some pictures so you can understand what I am talking about.
Old 01-11-09, 04:44 PM
Jackalope
Pole Position

Well, don't go to a lot of trouble for me. I can't help you anyway....although I've got a shop repair manual on the way and it might have something that could give us a hand.

But from the problems you're describing, it seems that it's not mating up to the top properly and I'd be much more inclined to believe that the top isn't mating quite right than a door.

I just ordered those manuals this morning and they said they'll ship them tomorrow (Monday 1/12/09) so it'll probably be at least Thursday or Friday before I get them, but I'll look it up as soon as they get here.
Old 01-13-09, 05:57 PM
talwang

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

If your car has never involved in an accident or roof repair work, then it is most likely caused by the weatherstrip or mirror filler.
I had the same issue a couple years ago and my local Lexus dealer fixed it by replacing both.
Old 01-16-09, 08:48 PM
ntr987
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, I will take the car into the dealer and tell them to replace the weather-stripping.
Old 01-16-09, 08:53 PM
ntr987
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, I will take the car into the dealer and tell them to replace the weather-stripping.
Old 01-17-09, 09:52 AM
Jackalope
Pole Position

There are adjustments inside the door to move the "tilt" of the glass in and out as well as up/down. It will require taking the interior door cover off and then it's fairly complicated. Are you ready to tackle all that?
Old 01-17-09, 02:26 PM
ntr987
Driver School Candidate

Yes, that sounds exactly what the car needs. The weather stripping on the car appears to be in good condition but replacing it might make a difference.

I think adjusting the window alignment would solve the problem. I think I'll take a shot at fixing it myself.

I searched and figured out how to take the door apart.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...all-sc430.html

But how do I adjust the window tilt?
Old 01-17-09, 04:42 PM
Jackalope
Pole Position

Okay, once you get the interior door off...

A. Adjust the upper end of the Front door glass horizontally.
1. Loosen the two nuts at the bottom of the window regulator and the nut of the front door mirror bracket.
2. Adjust the fitting of the front door glass at the upper end in the horizontal direction by turning the stud bolt with a 4mm hex wrench.

When the stud bolt is loosened, the upper end of the glass leans to the inside of the vehicle, When the stud bolt is tightened, the upper end leans to the outside.

3. Tighten the 2 nuts after adjustment - 71 in/lbf

B. Adjust the bottom of the front glass horizontally by:

1. Loose the 2 nuts at the top of the door.
2. Adjust the fitting at the bottom of the front door glass in the horizontal direction.
3. Tighten the 2 nuts after adjustment - 71 in/lbf

C. Adjust the slant of the front door glass (when fully closed in the up/down direction and in the front/rear direction.
1. Loosen the installation bolts for the front door glass stopper and install the glass temporarily at the upper end.
2. Loosen the 3 installation nuts for the front door glass.
3. By operating the power window regulator master switch assembly, stop the front door glass at approximately 3 mm (.118 in) before the fully closed position.
4. Adjust the slant of the front door glass in the fully closed position, press it tightly toward the front door glass stopper and then tighten the bolts and nuts properly (8.5 ft/lbf).

Please note that I gave you both horizontal and tilt instructions. Use only those you need to fix the problem.

This would probably be a lot easier if you had the diagrams in the manual. If you'll PM me an e-mail address, I'll try to get these put on a PDF file Tuesday when I go back to work if you can wait that long.