SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Passenger Seat Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-09, 06:04 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

I am just wondering that perhaps the seat reset will only work correctly after you disconnect the battery. Then do the re-programing by moving both seats forward till the beep and then tilting both front seats forward till you get the beep. It may be a sequence you have to do as far as getting beeps in the same reset time span.Any one figure it out let us know. My car is also in a garage for the winter so I cant test it out
The manual is very clear about re-setting the seats after a battery disconnect

Buddy
Old 02-07-09, 06:33 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

OK, just went to the garage for testing purposes:
Move passenger seat all the way forward = BEEP
Tilt passenger seat all the way forward = BEEP
Moved seat backwards (to give it room to guide forward)

Result: Memory was reset (i.e. the "Seat 1" and "Seat 2" presets were erased) but no seat movement upon using the seat back latch.

Maybe NMLexus (the original poster) is just misremembering this feature. Has anyone actually seen their seats do this lately?
Old 02-07-09, 07:51 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

The Manual reads as follows:

This is regarding the seat angle if you have it tilted to much to the rear then when you try and move the seat backward " The seat will adjust the seatback angle forward "

If you push the seat backward when the seatback reclined too far backward. the seat will adjust the seatback angle forward. This function does not work after reconnecting the battery. In addition ,the driving position memory system does not work in this case. When you push back the seat or recline the seat backward , a buzzer sounds to warn that the rear seat may interfere with the seatback novement

The following procedure must be performed after first reconnecting teh battery.
1 Move the seat position control switch forward until a beeping sound is emitted.

2 Move the seatback angle switch forward until a beeping sound is emitted

Gee I would really like to know what the seat is supposed to do if you manual release the seat foward does the seat back move forward and then back after you close thes eat back manually. Perhaps someones is remembering it different . I admit the manual is a bit confusing,

Time to ask the steallership \

Buddy
Old 02-07-09, 09:41 AM
intdiamond
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OK, my car definitely does NOT perform the self-adjusting function. It also has NEVER moved forward on it's own. Maybe I have the base-level power-seats in my SC, not the optional self-adjusting versions
Old 02-07-09, 01:22 PM
tfischer

Received 230 Likes on 170 Posts

There are no options for the seats; they all came standard the same way. (There are very few options on the SC.) Why your passenger seat is not moving forward on its [not it's, which means "it is"] own is a mystery to me.
The brochure archive, referenced in the postings, would probably indicate if this feature was altered in recent production years, but I doubt it, as it would cost more to alter it than leave it unmodified, since it's really software that we are talking about here. My guess is that these non-performing passenger seats got out of sync with a power loss at some point, and now they don't want to go back.
I'm curious now to test my own car, but that will have to wait a few days for slightly better weather. If this feature stopped working on my car, it might be months or even years before I would notice, as I seldom put the seat forward except for cleaning, and often I go in via the driver's side.
Old 02-07-09, 02:15 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

The manual does not make a distinction for passenger or drivers seat. It reads to me that .both should be moving. Please let us know once you check yours .

Buddy
Old 02-07-09, 02:42 PM
tfischer

That may be sooner than I thought. Although there is an inch of ice (5 days old) on my driveway today, the temperature for Mon and Tues will be in the high 50s, which makes ice go away fast.
Full report to follow.
Old 02-07-09, 06:58 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

tfischer,

With NMLexus reporting that this "no longer" works, it seems that you are the only person with a moving seat. Your report will indicate if there is hope for the rest of us.

Signed,

Johnny "Praying that My Grammar Passes Muster" Cakes
Old 02-07-09, 07:26 PM
tfischer

If you think I am the only person with a moving seat, you haven't seen Jessica Simpson lately.
Old 02-12-09, 08:39 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

So what's the verdict, tfischer?
Old 02-13-09, 05:56 AM
tfischer

Well, here's the verdict: I checked my car and the seats do not move when the seat back is released. This surprised me, at least at first (see above). Upon further recollection, I think it was my SC400 that had the passenger seat that moved forward and then back when the seatback was released and then returned to its upright position. I think that the SC430 never had that feature, which makes sense, since the rear seat in the SC430 is, unlike the 400, almost never used by people. For the most part, on rare instances, small children have ridden back there with the top down, much to their delight. Other than that, it's groceries and briefcases.
To put it another way, I sold my moving seat when I moved to the SC430.
Humbly, I stand corrected.
Old 02-13-09, 06:45 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Weird how the mind works. I became pretty sure that you were right. In fact, I seem to have a memory of the seat going backwards automatically and my kid in the back worried that it was not going to stop. Maybe we all are just doing the reset wrong.......
Old 02-13-09, 06:58 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

I checked the manual again and it reads as follows

This is regarding the seat angle if you have it tilted to much to the rear then when you try and move the seat backward " The seat will adjust the seatback angle forward "

If you push the seat backward when the seatback reclined too far backward. the seat will adjust the seatback angle forward. This function does not work after reconnecting the battery. In addition ,the driving position memory system does not work in this case. When you push back the seat or recline the seat backward , a buzzer sounds to warn that the rear seat may interfere with the seatback novement

The following procedure must be performed after first reconnecting teh battery.
1 Move the seat position control switch forward until a beeping sound is emitted.

2 Move the seatback angle switch forward until a beeping sound is emitted

Gee I would really like to know what the seat is supposed to do if you manual release the seat foward does the seat back move forward and then back after you close thes eat back manually. Perhaps someones is remembering it different . I admit the manual is a bit confusing,

Time to ask the steallership
Old 02-13-09, 08:44 AM
tfischer

That looks to me like the seat simply remembers the angle of the seatback, and I think this was added to '03 models and beyond. The seatback of my '02 will not recline fully if the seat is moved all the way to the rear. Certainly it says nothing about the seat itself moving forward to make ingress to the rear seat easier when the seatback is released. As noted above, my SC400 did that. My '02 seems to have no special memory or adjustment functions for the passenger seat, and I recall something being added to later models to allow the passenger seatback to recline fully and not hit the "back seat." This is not a big deal for me at all, as I never have more than one passenger, other than the spare child, and who cares about spare children?
Old 02-13-09, 09:23 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

I think the function to which mrblister refers is the ability of the seat to automatically adjust the seat back angle while the seat is moving backwards, so as not to have the seat back hit the rear seat.

It is sort of a silly function. It increases the maximum rearward travel of the passenger seat at the expense of the seat back angle. They could have programmed it the opposite way, had they chosen to do so (seat automatically moves forward to permit greater reclining).

One of my warranty parts (mirror assembly) was not available when I took my SC in for servicing last week, so the dealership is sending their "mobile tech" to my house today to install it. I'll try to remember to ask him.

Quick Reply: Passenger Seat Question