SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Passenger Seat Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-09, 10:38 PM
NMLexus
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passenger Seat Question

On the passenger side, when you lift the handle to fold the seat to access the rear, the seat used to automatically move forward and when you put the seat back, it will move backwards to the original spot but since I've changed the battery, it doesnt do that anymore.

Is there something I need to do to get that to work again?

Thanks!
Old 02-06-09, 04:13 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

Unlike most who declare this car a two-seater, I drive with three people almost every day. I've never had the seat automatically move forward for the backseat passenger, although I know other models have that feature. Maybe I'm missing something also.
Old 02-06-09, 06:10 AM
tfischer

Received 223 Likes on 164 Posts

Johnny: the passenger seat will motor forward when the seatback is released. However, if you regularly have 3 passengers, perhaps you have the passenger seat already forward to create more space in back. Try this: move the passenger seat all the way back, then fold the seatback forward; that should cause the seat to glide forward. If not, something is wrong. Perhaps the switch is not adjusted correctly.
Mine works fine, but it does not get much use.
Old 02-06-09, 07:41 AM
Habious
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Mine's never done this ('03) and I have both seats all the way to the rear. Would be a handy feature to get working.
Old 02-06-09, 08:08 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Habious
Mine's never done this ('03) and I have both seats all the way to the rear. Would be a handy feature to get working.
Mines an 05 and the seat does not move forward either when you release the front seat and open or when you move seat back to the closed position. I also have diconnected my battery and then had to re-initialize the seats by moving them all forward till they beep and the move them all the way back till they beep. I am going to read the manual see if i missed anything

Buddy
Old 02-06-09, 09:03 AM
intdiamond
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My '02 doesn't have that function; when did Lexus start with it in SCs?
Old 02-06-09, 09:46 AM
tfischer

Mine was one of the very first '02 models, and I thought it was a nice touch. I am unaware of any cutoff switch, although, like some window controls and like the sunroof in my RX, disconnecting the battery requires a "reset." As far as I know, it's still working after all these years, and I can't check it now because the car is outside, covered with a car cover and about 6 inches of snow (battery tender enabled). I'll try the passenger seat after the spring thaw and post a note here if it's not working.
Old 02-06-09, 10:42 AM
1NICESC430
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

>the car is outside, covered with a car cover and about 6 inches of snow<

What a desirable winter destination (and abode) for the local mice. How do you keep them out?
Old 02-06-09, 10:56 AM
tfischer

With my shotgun.
Old 02-06-09, 12:29 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

I read the manual. It states after a batt disconnect. Do the following.

Move the seat all the way forward hold the button forward till you get a beep . Then use tilt seat forward untill it beeps. Then program your seat settings, When ever you release the front seat to fold it forward with the manual release the seat should move forward to allow a rear passenger in or out once you fold seat back the seat should return to what ever position it was in before you manual released it. I will try it on my car when I get home

When I originally did the reset I did not tilt the seat until it beeped . I just moved the whole seat forard till it beeped and then reward till the beep. Maybe it will work . I will report back .

In the mean time some of the earlier year owners try it as well .

Buddy
Old 02-06-09, 01:09 PM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mrblister
once you fold seat back the seat should return to what ever position it was in before you manual released it.
Buddy

that could mean the amputation of someone's feet.
Old 02-06-09, 01:22 PM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

ps... i just tried it and i get no beep
Old 02-06-09, 01:42 PM
IcEnPinKi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i never had this working either?
Old 02-06-09, 01:54 PM
tfischer

"that could mean the amputation of someone's feet"
My recollection is that the automatic return does not slide the seat all the way back under any circumstance.
This feature is on my original issue early '02, and I do not recall seeing anything about it being discontinued. As far as I know, it should be on all model years.
Finally, I just checked my list of C-Best settings (personalized settings) for the '02 model, and there is nothing there to activate or disable the passenger seat auto slide. So if it's not working in your car, it was probably disable during a battery disconnection or something like that, and it needs to be "reset" as noted above.

Last edited by tfischer; 02-06-09 at 01:59 PM. Reason: Added even more useful and helpful information, at no charge.
Old 02-07-09, 12:43 AM
Roofless
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Completely forgot about this feature . Mine used to do it, but hasn't in years. I just tried the reset, and get no beeps.

(My car was built a month or two after tfischer's, and has no mice.)

Quick Reply: Passenger Seat Question