SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Is there a all-in-one radio/nav replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-09, 08:36 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts
Default Is there a all-in-one radio/nav replacement?

I've seen a lot of threads about modifying the radio and NAV units but none about a full replacement unit. With the size of just the OEM radio, I would think that an aftermarket with a video screen would be available that has NAV features in it also would be available. (I have seen similar units that are quite nice. A co-worker of mine has one in his truck.)

Since it costs around $300 to upgrade the NAV DVD and another $300 (or so) to add on extra audio or video sources to be able to play MP3s, WAVs, etc., it seems that it would be easier to replace the OEM radio with an all-in-one unit that has the radio and audio features needed along with the NAV features.

Then you just don't use the current NAV unit on the dash at all, unless you convert it to a DVD player or backup camera. Has anyone researched for a decent all-in-one unit like that?
Old 02-08-09, 07:06 PM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Harold57
I've seen a lot of threads about modifying the radio and NAV units but none about a full replacement unit. With the size of just the OEM radio, I would think that an aftermarket with a video screen would be available that has NAV features in it also would be available. (I have seen similar units that are quite nice. A co-worker of mine has one in his truck.)

Since it costs around $300 to upgrade the NAV DVD and another $300 (or so) to add on extra audio or video sources to be able to play MP3s, WAVs, etc., it seems that it would be easier to replace the OEM radio with an all-in-one unit that has the radio and audio features needed along with the NAV features.

Then you just don't use the current NAV unit on the dash at all, unless you convert it to a DVD player or backup camera. Has anyone researched for a decent all-in-one unit like that?
The ML system comes with a stock amp so your going to have to bypass that and power your speakers through an aftermarket amp or the headunit itself. You would also need to rewire the speakers so that it bypasses the stock amp. Not so easy. I'd keep the stock unit and add the nav to tv, it was pretty easy to install & only $140 from the group buy.
Old 02-08-09, 08:33 PM
aquanuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

You could try contacting these people, or should give you some ideas

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ypa6ZWpEfrY
Old 02-08-09, 09:40 PM
Habious
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by aquanuke
You could try contacting these people, or should give you some ideas

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ypa6ZWpEfrY
I will give them props for a clean installation...however, there's some information that they left out that really bother me.

They didn't mention that the "super cool", amazing, state-of-the-art powered second screen, that seemed to just emerge from the dash...is factory. They didn't do that. (they showed it off like they did that as a custom installation).

That fact that they got that amazingly-cool second video screen to automatically close when he took the key out. Brilliant. How did they do that? Oh yeah, all SC430's with factory navigation do that (he even did a "watch this" moment before taking the key out).

These are things that us SC430 owners know and take for granted. Others would see that video and think these guys were able to invent anti-gravity.
Old 02-09-09, 05:31 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

God they even make a refferance THEY TOOK THE FACTORY SCREEN OUT AND REPLACED IT WITH ANOTHER SCREEN . I am not sure what they really did since they dont show the navigation running. They just say it was the old navigation. Kind if misleading.!!!!!
Old 02-09-09, 08:54 AM
EddierRo
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is a crappy pic of mine. The metal trim has since been polished and been adjusted.

Old 02-09-09, 01:53 PM
GammaLex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I have the Pioneer in mine

Old 02-13-09, 08:15 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

Nice. What models did you (EddierRo & GammaLex) get? Do they drive the OEM speakers properly? Did you do the install yourself or have it done? Were you still able to control the radio using the steering wheel buttons?

Last edited by Harold57; 02-15-09 at 04:10 PM.
Old 02-17-09, 11:22 AM
jptl
Driver School Candidate

Question

I'm new to this forum and am trying to help out my father-in-law who has an '02 430. He says that his fact. ML doesn't work (I haven't checked it out yet to assess the problem).
He was asking about replacement units that have nav. capability and can play iPods.
I figured that I'd address this in three steps:
  1. Try to find out what's wrong with the head unit - if anything
  2. Determine if there's an Aux. in @ the front of the unit; or RCA jacks behind - for iPod/MP3 input
  3. If 1 & 2 pass (unit is easily repairable & unit is Aux capable) then I'll suggest a portable GPS unit. If 1 or 2 don't pass, then I assume that he'll be looking for an aftermarket GPS capable w/iPod interface.
So..are there common problems with these (CD player issues, etc) and do they have Aux. capabilities?
Is replacing with an aftermarket unit a huge headache?
I plan to pick up the car in a few days to figure things out, but I figured I'd try to get some answers here first.
Thanks,
J.P.
Old 02-17-09, 01:42 PM
Habious
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by jptl
I'm new to this forum and am trying to help out my father-in-law who has an '02 430. He says that his fact. ML doesn't work (I haven't checked it out yet to assess the problem).
He was asking about replacement units that have nav. capability and can play iPods.
I figured that I'd address this in three steps:
  1. Try to find out what's wrong with the head unit - if anything
  2. Determine if there's an Aux. in @ the front of the unit; or RCA jacks behind - for iPod/MP3 input
  3. If 1 & 2 pass (unit is easily repairable & unit is Aux capable) then I'll suggest a portable GPS unit. If 1 or 2 don't pass, then I assume that he'll be looking for an aftermarket GPS capable w/iPod interface.
So..are there common problems with these (CD player issues, etc) and do they have Aux. capabilities?
Is replacing with an aftermarket unit a huge headache?
I plan to pick up the car in a few days to figure things out, but I figured I'd try to get some answers here first.
Thanks,
J.P.

1) You're going to have to check the unit out and see what's going on. One problem that sometimes happened with the '02's (I won't say it's a "common" problem but, it's a known issue) is the ML Amp that's in the trunk behind the factory navigation system, under the carpet).

2) There are no factory aux inputs. However, you can add a Vais SLU unit to give you 2 dry aux inputs.

As for nav, if the car has factory navigation (most did...a very-rare few didn't), you could also look at updating the navigation disk to a current/more-current set of maps. The newest map version was released just a few months ago so, there are several "last year's" disks available. You could spring for the newest but, they're a little pricy. You could get a "last year's" disk for considerably less and, if the car still has the original 2002 Nav disk, there would be a huge improvement, both in map data and updated software/interface.

And, one final answer...yes, replacing the factory head unit with an aftermarket one is a fairly big deal. It's not as simple as buying a bezel kit and wiring harness from Crutchfield and slapping in any double-DIN head unit. There's a lot going on (and through) the factory head unit. A few folks here have done but, not too many. I've seen at least one person on here that replaced the head unit and lost the factory navigation, because the audio is routed through the factory head unit. Another person ended up relocating the factory head unit to the trunk and put the aftermarket unit in it's place in the dash. They kept the factory head unit in the system because it was too much of a PITA to try to rewire the system to work without it.

Bottom line though is, yes it CAN be done.

I did a siginificant stereo upgrade on mine (installed a CarPC to gain all of the 21st century features) but, I used the Vais SLU unit to aux into the factory stereo. Much simpler solution.

Last edited by Habious; 02-17-09 at 01:48 PM.
Old 02-23-09, 02:03 PM
jptl
Driver School Candidate

Question Couple of questions....(long)

Thanks for the reply.
To somewhat keep with the original topic of this post, I have a question relating to modifying the oem head unit in order to play iPods or MP3 players:
Considering that my father-in-law never uses the cassette player in the oem unit, and doesn't smoke, the cassette player, lighter circuit and ashtray are up for grabs.
Since I may have to remove the unit to retrieve stuck CD's (see below), I'm thinking that a cassette-to-mini stereo plug adapter may be an inexpensive, easy and convenient alternative to replacing the head unit or installing the SLU unit. I could stick the cassette adapter in the cassette bay, and while the face of the unit is off, close the cassette door behind it (for aesthetic, dust and sound reasons, mostly). I'd disable the cassette eject button, so that if the button were accidentally pushed, attempting to eject the cassette behind the closed door it wouldn't work. So the cassette adapter would be a permanent, non-ejectable fixture inside the unit.
I'd then run the adapter cord & plug downward, behind the trim face of the unit and up through the ashtray. The ashtray, being removable would not only hold the iPod (neoprene cushioning), but could hold several inches of cord so that the iPod could be pulled out 2' or so while plugged in. The cord could be tucked back in followed by the iPod, and all could be concealed behind the wood door.
I realize that by using the cass. adapter, I'm taking a digital signal and making it analog, but my guess is that the sound quality will be pretty decent, considering the quality of this head unit. Am I right on that?
I'm wondering if anyone has heard of this mod. being done.
Also, I'm wondering if there's an Apple or aftermarket cradle made specifically for Nano that has an output plug and the ability to charge the Nano while plugged in.
My second question relates to troubleshooting the oem head unit...Error 3
I had a chance to check out the unit, and it does the following:
When CD is selected, the display indicates that the unit is reading the CD's. Shortly thereafter, "Error 3" appears.
We were unable to eject any cd's by using the eject button or any combination of buttons. After pressing "Load", it started on disc 1 and appeared to be reading that CD, but shortly thereafter, "Error 3" appeared. After trying to change CD's, I see that discs 2-6 are referenced, but no sign of disc 1. Radio works fine.
My father-in-law can't recall how many discs were in the unit when he started to experience the problem.
Is there a way to override the eject feature and get the discs out, or does the unit have to come out and the discs manually retrieved?
Old 02-23-09, 02:40 PM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jptl
Thanks for the reply.
To somewhat keep with the original topic of this post, I have a question relating to modifying the oem head unit in order to play iPods or MP3 players:
Considering that my father-in-law never uses the cassette player in the oem unit, and doesn't smoke, the cassette player, lighter circuit and ashtray are up for grabs.
Since I may have to remove the unit to retrieve stuck CD's (see below), I'm thinking that a cassette-to-mini stereo plug adapter may be an inexpensive, easy and convenient alternative to replacing the head unit or installing the SLU unit. I could stick the cassette adapter in the cassette bay, and while the face of the unit is off, close the cassette door behind it (for aesthetic, dust and sound reasons, mostly). I'd disable the cassette eject button, so that if the button were accidentally pushed, attempting to eject the cassette behind the closed door it wouldn't work. So the cassette adapter would be a permanent, non-ejectable fixture inside the unit.
I'd then run the adapter cord & plug downward, behind the trim face of the unit and up through the ashtray. The ashtray, being removable would not only hold the iPod (neoprene cushioning), but could hold several inches of cord so that the iPod could be pulled out 2' or so while plugged in. The cord could be tucked back in followed by the iPod, and all could be concealed behind the wood door.
I realize that by using the cass. adapter, I'm taking a digital signal and making it analog, but my guess is that the sound quality will be pretty decent, considering the quality of this head unit. Am I right on that?
I'm wondering if anyone has heard of this mod. being done.
Also, I'm wondering if there's an Apple or aftermarket cradle made specifically for Nano that has an output plug and the ability to charge the Nano while plugged in.
My second question relates to troubleshooting the oem head unit...Error 3
I had a chance to check out the unit, and it does the following:
When CD is selected, the display indicates that the unit is reading the CD's. Shortly thereafter, "Error 3" appears.
We were unable to eject any cd's by using the eject button or any combination of buttons. After pressing "Load", it started on disc 1 and appeared to be reading that CD, but shortly thereafter, "Error 3" appeared. After trying to change CD's, I see that discs 2-6 are referenced, but no sign of disc 1. Radio works fine.
My father-in-law can't recall how many discs were in the unit when he started to experience the problem.
Is there a way to override the eject feature and get the discs out, or does the unit have to come out and the discs manually retrieved?
Sounds like the cd player has a stuck cd. But as for the tape player, I use it exclusively with my iphone and it works great. The sound quality is pretty good. I didnt see a need to disable the eject button, i have the casset wire running straight down behind the ashtray trim so its under the shifter/wood trimming and straight into my arm rest, inside the arm rest is another cigarette plug so it just seemed logical for me to have the charger/3.5 plug in there. To take off that trim all you got to do is pop the seat warmer thing up, may take a little wiggling but should come up without a problem. After that you can pop put the trim that contains the ashtray and cup holder. I think there might be 1 screw under the seat warmer. Not sure but u should be able to tell once u take it out.
Old 07-10-10, 08:40 PM
Peter_Klim
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you still have control of the wooden door covers? If so, what needs to be done to keep them working?

Originally Posted by EddierRo
Here is a crappy pic of mine. The metal trim has since been polished and been adjusted.

Old 07-10-10, 08:42 PM
Peter_Klim
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

same question

Do you still have control of the wooden door covers? If so, what needs to be done to keep them working?

Originally Posted by GammaLex
I have the Pioneer in mine

Old 07-16-10, 02:43 PM
WantGS
Rookie

There's also the beatsonic one: