SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

retractible roof problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-09, 09:03 AM
hiloboston
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Retractable roof

I have tried all the items I can think of including the trunk cover, checking applicable fuses, trying the valet lock both off and on, closing the roof and trying to re-open. The hydolics on the trunk are not working. I took it to the dealership and they quoted about $550-$600 to replace the hydrolics on the trunk but said just to use an umbrella to keep in open and save myself some money...now I wonder if there is a connection???i
Old 04-13-09, 09:53 AM
mhoepfin
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hiloboston
I have tried all the items I can think of including the trunk cover, checking applicable fuses, trying the valet lock both off and on, closing the roof and trying to re-open. The hydolics on the trunk are not working. I took it to the dealership and they quoted about $550-$600 to replace the hydrolics on the trunk but said just to use an umbrella to keep in open and save myself some money...now I wonder if there is a connection???i
You can get replacement shocks for the trunk for $50 on ebay and it takes less than 10 minutes to replace them yourself. Just did it this weekend.
Old 04-13-09, 08:54 PM
hiloboston
Driver School Candidate

Default hydrolics

Thanks for the info. mhoepfin - I will try that...any special tools needed?

Also,another twist...without doing anything differently than yesterday, the button worked and the roof retracted. That was after I made an apt. for tomorrow morining to take it to the dealership. Guess I will cancel apt. and wait for the SC430 spirit gods to move again.
Old 04-13-09, 09:05 PM
ntr987
Driver School Candidate

Haha, I did not sell my SC430, mines gold.

It sound like your roof is not working consistently. When you open the trunk check the cables that open the roof, maybe one is loose or off the tracks. (There was a thread not too long ago about this.)
Old 04-14-09, 05:52 AM
mhoepfin
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the info. mhoepfin - I will try that...any special tools needed?

Also,another twist...without doing anything differently than yesterday, the button worked and the roof retracted. That was after I made an apt. for tomorrow morining to take it to the dealership. Guess I will cancel apt. and wait for the SC430 spirit gods to move again.
All you need is a small screwdriver to unclip the old ones.
Old 08-01-09, 04:54 PM
hiloboston
Driver School Candidate

Default Retractable roof problems

After several months of the top going up and down just like it should, it again refused to go down. Took it to the dealership today. It seems that a pair of binoculars were stuck in the hole from trunk where gear hinge arm is located and bent the arm. Was $375 to get it working again. I got to keep the binoculars from the previous owner but sure I could have found some that were less expensive.
Old 08-02-09, 04:23 PM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

After several months of the top going up and down just like it should, it again refused to go down. Took it to the dealership today. It seems that a pair of binoculars were stuck in the hole from trunk where gear hinge arm is located and bent the arm. Was $375 to get it working again. I got to keep the binoculars from the previous owner but sure I could have found some that were less expensive.
At least you solved the problem, could have cost you an arm and a leg with all the other things that could have been wrong with the roof, enjoy your binoculars
The following users liked this post:
Options2k (05-10-21)
Old 09-05-09, 12:19 PM
hiloboston
Driver School Candidate

Default retractable roof

Back to the dealership after they found the binoculars last month and charged me $375, - roof still not dependable- they now say the gear arm is bent and needs replaced ($2,000) not under warranty. However, if I take out fuse #17 and put it back in, 90% of the time the top comes down. Also the dome light comes on the passenger side everytime the door is opened but the driver side dome light comes on in relation to when the top will go up.
They want to replace the gear arm and if that doesn't work, the "ECT"
$2,000) may need replaced- also not under warranty.
BUT they did ofer to give me $15,000 (no KY jelly in the deal) on a trade in on the SC430 with 56,000 miles if I wanted to purchase another car.
I talked to the chief mechanic and he said he didn't know what the problem was and it was just a matter of expensive elimination and that the Japanese ownership of Lexus basically liked to keep dealerships in the dark about the "high tech" functions.
I have searched the internet and found no other postings with this problem....any ideas - anyone????
Old 09-05-09, 01:23 PM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Don't take that 15k deal for your car, what a low ball offer !
Old 09-05-09, 06:29 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

I have searched the internet and found no other postings with this problem
Really? I figured "binoculars in the retractable top mechanism" was a pretty common problem.

Originally Posted by tromley
Don't take that 15k deal for your car, what a low ball offer !
Au contraire! Definitely take that offer and tell them that you'll have a $10K check to make up the difference on the new SC430. But be a nice guy and throw in the KY for free.
Old 09-05-09, 07:02 PM
IStoSC
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^haha, bro this binocular thing is crazy as I legit thought (and wondered wtf) that binocular was the name to some hinge as a part of the roofing mechanism and it made no sense to me...wow crazy...
Old 05-08-10, 06:19 AM
easyrider
Driver School Candidate

Smile Had same problem with truck and roof not opening

This post was really helpful - truck release button was not working and the roof would not open. Had the car at the dealer last week for a O2 sensor replacement and had not driven it since. Last night I tried to open the roof and nothing just the red indicator light as if the truck roof protector was not in position so after a few check and rechecks it became clear that something was not right. Was just about ready to start ckecking fuses when I did a search for this subject. Wow - After reading the posts and replies I checked the glove box valet lock switch and it was in the out (locked) position. Pushed the button back in and everything starting working. The dealer mush have hit the button when getting logbook info or something. This post saved me tons of time and wasted effort and maybe even a trip to the dealer.
Thanks so much for everyones input. We learn something new everyday......

Love my SC430.....

EasyRider
Columbus, Ohio
Old 10-03-10, 06:49 AM
genec220
Driver School Candidate

Default hardtop stuck

My hardtop operates 1/2 way and no more. i checked the valet button and contrary what i have read here, the button pushed in, seems to be the working mode and popped out, looks like the valet mode. at least, the mechanism have juice and move with the switch pushed in, and do nothing with the swtich popped out.
My issue seems to be related to the package tray. The instructions for manually closing the top in the manual SUCK but even when i worked through them, i got to the point where the package tray being fully open obstructs the top from being maually pushed into the closed position.
i am going to try the fuses and battery disconnect to see if it resets the package tray motor (or something) but i'm really reaching and doubt it will make a difference. i hope it is ok to drive the car at 25-35mph with everything pushed down in the open position and the package tray fully vertical. the front of the trunk is not locked.
thanks for the info in this thread i at least have things to try before a long, slow drive to the dealership. This really sucks.
Old 10-03-10, 09:02 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

You are correct that the instructions for manually closing the top in the manual suck -- plus they require two people and lots of time.

Habious posted a service bulletin in this thread which have different (and better) instructions that one person can do. Maybe a different approach will help you.

I stuck a copy of this service bulletin in the manual in my glove compartment, but hope never to need it.
Old 10-25-10, 04:56 PM
genec220
Driver School Candidate

Just to report back after having intermittent problems with the opening and closing of my roof. Package tray kept malfunctioning. would not open or after being opened, when tried to close, the p-tray would end up in 90 degree vertical position and not budge. In that position it would not allow manual closing of roof either.
Replaced roof motor assembly- Part=$327, labor=$605. pretty ugly. luckily dealer i purchased it from manned up with an extended warranty.

Quick Reply: retractible roof problems