SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Teins coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-09, 07:45 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Teins coilovers

I need some advice. I am looking for a qualified shop to install Tein coilovers and able to properly alighn my 2005 sc430 when installed. I live in a suburb of Philadelphia and would consider traveling in the tri state area in order to find the right shop. I would buy the coil overs form them as well. I really need to find a one stop shop. One where I can talk with them regarding what would be the best set up for what i am trying to accomplish. My interest is really ride quality . I have always been a bit apprehensive in lowering the car for fear of tire rub etc. I am running 20 " x 8 " front and 20" X 10" In the rear on Toyo t1 proxys. I just want to improve the ride quality since I lost a bit when I went to 20" RIMS . Better ride then the OEM runflats . I need to have confidence with who ever I allow to work on my car. I have learned from many years of dealing with johnny no nothings that have no idea of what they are doing other then selling something that is in-appropriate for its use. I just dont want to be a guinea pig for profit.

Buddy
Old 02-09-09, 07:58 PM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

i'd ask in your regional forum. someone there should know a good shop.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/northeast-21/
Old 02-09-09, 08:57 PM
Roofless
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Although it's not that hard of a job, I agree with you in finding someone good just to assure a nice clean job and proper coilover adjusting. I don't know if you remember Henry's (rominl) Tein Coilover debacle, but someone did some very sloppy work and he had to have everything redone by another shop.

You probably know this already, but after you've had the new coilovers on for a few days, they will settle, lowering the car another quarter to half inch. You want to allow for that when setting your heights, otherwise you'll be rubbing in a few days.

This is relevant to your desire to get aligned as well. You should wait a week until your car has settled before getting an alignment. Otherwise it will be a tad off.

Hope that's helpful.

Last edited by Roofless; 02-09-09 at 09:24 PM.
Old 02-10-09, 09:32 AM
intdiamond
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Roofless
Although it's not that hard of a job, I agree with you in finding someone good just to assure a nice clean job and proper coilover adjusting. I don't know if you remember Henry's (rominl) Tein Coilover debacle, but someone did some very sloppy work and he had to have everything redone by another shop.

You probably know this already, but after you've had the new coilovers on for a few days, they will settle, lowering the car another quarter to half inch. You want to allow for that when setting your heights, otherwise you'll be rubbing in a few days.

This is relevant to your desire to get aligned as well. You should wait a week until your car has settled before getting an alignment. Otherwise it will be a tad off.

Hope that's helpful.
Roofless is spot-on with his comments.... I just want to add that you should wait even longer than a week if you don't drive the car much. I drive my SC maybe 60-70 miles a week, tops, and it took about 3 weeks for my Teins to settle-in completely. I think driving the car makes them settle in quicker than just sitting... I had to re-adjust my height higher and realign after 3 weeks because my Teins dropped at least another 1/2" once settled.
Old 02-10-09, 09:47 AM
Bellex
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Buddy,

Might I reccomend to you R/T Tuning which is located in Lansdale PA - address is 635 W Third Street Lansdale, PA. Trusted them to do major work on my girlfriend's 350z - i.e. Install & adjust Coil Over Suspension / additional suspension parts/alignment and the Single Turbocharger install... One Stop Shop - Install / adjust / align

These fellas are spot on when it comes to modifications for your vehicle (might I add that they have a gutted GS400 Drift Car that they are planning to do a Manual Swap!!).

As far as the Install, they will adjust the suspension according to your needs (racing/comfort/sporty/semi-aggressive e.t.c.). I was totally impressed that they adjusted the settings to compensate for our weight in the drivers seat! Totally thorough!!

-Coilover install was timely (dropped off in the evening & picked up the next day) - We take her car to them to lower (i.e. slam) it in the summer, and raise it back to stock height in the winter.

-Prices are reasonable given the amount of time they spend tweaking your car to perfection - after all is done they will take a ride with you to verify that all is well (or make further adjustments)

-In the summer we run 19 x 10.5 in the back, and have never rubbed a fender or bottomed out on the highway - we chose to go a bit stiffer than shock, with minimal wheel gap

Trust me, we have done research about local tuning shops with the install of the Turbo- I feel as though they are the best around for Japanese Vehicles... Worth the time to stop in and discuss your options- they are not pushy and will not sell you anything you do not need - I'm sure you will be pleased!

*If you go, tell them Erin and Chris with the Silver Z sent you

Last edited by Bellex; 02-10-09 at 09:53 AM.
Old 02-10-09, 11:20 AM
Roofless
Lead Lap

intdiamond - completely agree. After reading your post and thinking about it, mine did take close to a month to fully settle and that's when I got aligned. But just so others understand, 80%-90% of the settling takes place in 3-5 days.

Bellex - nice recommendation! Sounds like a winner.
Old 02-11-09, 05:59 PM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

if you want the job done right do it yourself or only trust good friends. it sucks but its true. Its what pearlpower did so I just try to follow in his footsteps
Old 02-11-09, 06:10 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

How difficult is it to do the coil overs. Special equipment needed beyond your standard tools. I would attempt it if I had more specifics
Old 02-11-09, 06:25 PM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

Basic wrenches are needed. Air tools will make your life much easier.
The hardest part for me was the time consuming process of removing all the panels in the trunk to access the rear upper mounts.
As simple as it sounds, its just removing certain screws, swapping out units, and then tightening them back up.

I personally would rate the job a 5-6, 1 being replacing a blown light bulb, 10 being a transmission rebuild.