SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

ready to replace run flat tires

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-09, 03:23 PM
PHXSC
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by robsvdp
Which g-force? I heard the g-force summer tire is mediocre, but the all season super-sport is supposed to be great. Installing this Thursday (already paid), so hopefully I have a better experience.
The BFG super sport I am referring to is a relatively new tire, introduced mid-2008.
Perhaps Big Mack's experience was with the previous model tire.
Old 02-17-09, 06:00 PM
man8959
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just replaced mine with bridgestone turanza serenity and very satisfied with it. the only problem is every once in a while at highway speed i feel little vibrate on the steering wheel and they already balanced them twice with road force machine but vibrate is still there.
Old 02-17-09, 08:49 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by PHXSC
The BFG super sport I am referring to is a relatively new tire, introduced mid-2008.
Perhaps Big Mack's experience was with the previous model tire.
Yes, mine were the G-Force "sport." Worst. Tire. Evar. If the new one is made better and has a different design, I'm sure your experience has a better shot. It certainly couldn't be much worse. I will say, however, that even though I'm not an aggressive driver I do love the Yoko's. Before the BFG's I had Michelin Pilots, and I would say that the Yoko's are on par, possibly even a bit better riding/handling for the rare times I have tested them.

Let us know how it turns out! I'm curious if the new ones are going to be a quiet riding tire, because mine certainly weren't. When the guy who was very nice to me at Costco in trying to get them to perform properly drove it (from the bay to the door, possibly 80 feet), even he commented that they were the loudest tires he had ever heard on a car. Given how quiet a Lexus is, you can only imagine how bad it was...

Big Mack
Old 02-18-09, 08:22 AM
coach1
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The feedback I received when shopping for replacement tires was there are several good choices including those mentioned here. Some were cheaper, some performed as well, but the Michelin Pilot Sports tipped the scale with feedback on quality throughout the life of the tire. Reported....After 10K miles the side walls were not daul or old looking, after 10K they didn't start getting noisy and ruff. There are many good choices over RunFlat....Good Luck
Old 02-18-09, 08:30 PM
bopc1996
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by coach1
The feedback I received when shopping for replacement tires was there are several good choices including those mentioned here. Some were cheaper, some performed as well, but the Michelin Pilot Sports tipped the scale with feedback on quality throughout the life of the tire. Reported....After 10K miles the side walls were not daul or old looking, after 10K they didn't start getting noisy and ruff. There are many good choices over RunFlat....Good Luck
I just replaced my rf with the Michelin Pilot Sports All Season plus. The plus is only a dollar more but comes with a 46000 mile warranty and has better tread specs.
Old 02-19-09, 02:53 PM
NorCal430
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Pilot Sport(s)

If you are interested in the Michelin Pilot Sport tires, just be aware that Pilot Sport is not a single tire, but a family of tires.

Michelin Pilot Sport (Max Performance Summer)
Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 (Max Performance Summer)
Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 ZP (Max Performance Summer)
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus (Ultra High Performance All-Season)

I purchased the PS2 variation and I have had them for 10,500 miles. When I went in a few weeks ago for the 10,000 mile maintenance the Lexus dealer measured the tread depth as 8/32. New tires are 9/32.

I don't see any uneven wear from these tires, so I'm anticipating 40,000+ miles instead of the 20,000 miles that many CL members have reported getting from their tires. I'm happy with the ride quality and the quietness.

YMMV
Old 02-19-09, 04:23 PM
coach1
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good point NorCal.........I did get A/S (Plus....I don't know?)......Local Discount Tire, good service and good price. Watch for Michelin rebates.
Old 02-20-09, 10:39 AM
robsvdp
Pole Position

Default g-force super sport

Had mine installed yesterday, only put about 25 miles on them and can only compare to the Dunlop run flats they replaced, but so far very happy. Quieter, smooter --basically feels like someone put air in my tires (the Dunlops required a lot more effort to turn, etc). I have no basis to compare to the Michelins.
Old 03-13-09, 05:30 PM
bbatts
Driver School Candidate

I replaced my run flats with Bridgestone 960s at Discount Tire. 2 were out of round so all 4 were replaced with Michelin Pilot Plus. You can't beat Michelin's even if they cost a little more initially.

BB
Old 05-24-09, 09:44 PM
dcgamer
Driver School Candidate

just an update ClubLexo peeps...

I ended up getting some Goodyear Eagle GTs @ Big-O-Tires, came slightly over 8 bills
^

I've been driving them for about a little over two months, and from the time I drove off the installation facility I instantly noticed the improvement in comfort level (less "turbulence" and feel of the road) and performance compared to the RFT (OE Bridgestone Potenza). Less jumpiness and better handling, plus no skipping from my speakers which the RFTs were prone to causing when driving with the volume loud and hitting a bump. I may look into getting a spare tire kit off ebay in a bit, but for now my AAA card is good, & for those out there who are considering changing from RFT-- I recommend it all the way!
Old 05-25-09, 04:33 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Klynn
I am on my second set of Michelin Pilot Sports on my 2002 and I really like them. Got a little over 40,000 miles on the first set.
I have the same tires, and have 35,000 miles on them, will probably replace in the next six months, will purchase a second set, love the tires!!
Old 05-25-09, 09:48 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

BigMack,
Which Yokos did you get? I was looking at the YK520's back when I got new tires. I wound up staying with the run flats to put off needing to get a spare tire kit and then modifying my trunk. The YK520 would have saved me about $300 there at Discount Tire. (I bought the Pirelli P-Zero M+S Run Flats, which I've like much better than the original Bridgestone R050's.) The Yokos have a 60k warranty and good ratings, so they were quite tempting and I may still get them the next time around.
Old 05-25-09, 11:57 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

This is really an impossible question to answer as there are tradeoffs. For example, do you want "comfortable" luxo-handling tires or are you looking for top handling? How important is noise, longevity, etc. You'd have to tell us what characteristics are important to you.

As for cupping, I've always heard that's either really cheap tires or a suspension problem (bounce).