SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Is the SC430 an old person's car?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-09, 05:05 PM
farkas
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyCake
Young people generally can't afford to pay $56,315 for a car. It usually takes about 11 years after college before someone can afford this car.
+1 JohnnyCake!!!!!
Old 02-12-09, 05:33 PM
coach1
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I maybe an old guy, but for the record, this is me and my other ride.

Old 02-12-09, 05:53 PM
velocity12
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool

I am 61 years old and love the car which is proof that young people go for the SC 430.
Old 02-12-09, 05:56 PM
intdiamond
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by velocity12
I am 61 years old and love the car which is proof that young people go for the SC 430.
Old 02-12-09, 06:15 PM
coach1
Pole Position

PS: I'm 67
Old 02-12-09, 07:00 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Yeh I am 64 and my other ride is a kawasaki 1989 vn 750 full custom I did frame off .

Iam just getting started Old Old that must be someone else other then me \
Old 02-12-09, 07:05 PM
calboy76
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

personally, i strongly believe that a car is a car. there's no such thing as a girl's car, a guy's car.

after traveling to Asia, visiting countries such as Thailand, Taiwan, Malaysia, China, and Korean, I come to the vivid realization that we Americans are truely blessed.

to me, there are only good cars and bad cars, affordable cars and expensive cars. i consider us so lucky to buy a lexus, be it LS, SC or ES or IS in America, whether used or new, for a relatively low, low price compared to people who live in other countries.

to me, SC430 is not an old man's car. it's one of those cars most people around the world could only dream of. but for those of us we can afford one, no matter how much we pay for it, we should be thankful and know that we are driving one of the BEST cars made in human history.

i am currently 32. I have come from a BMW 328i, then two BMW M3's, GS400, ISF, and now, the SC430. I have been to many forums, and heard many compare and complain about how much faster they want their rides to be and how the BMW M is better than AMG or the vice versa or how the lexus is too slow or too this and that

i just feel we should all send those ppl away from America, and maybe, justmaybe, they will begin to appreciate what they have in their hands.

that's just my humble opinion.
Old 02-12-09, 07:29 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by PHXSC
I guess this is turning into "how tall are you and how much do you weigh" thread after Ice350's inaccurate comment.
I'm 6'4", 220 lbs., have a vertical leap of at least 4", and the car fits me fine.
Inaccurate.......what the heck.....now you're telling me how I felt in the car. Look, I love coupes. Since I'm a Lexus lover that left me with only the SC300/400 or the SC430 to choose from. Has the 300/400 and wanted a newer car. I tried sitting in the 430 many times. I almost just gave in but I couldn't pay that much coin to be uncomfortable....and that's what I was uncomfortable. Maybe some of you taller guys are okay bending your knees in a car but I want mine to be stretched out. I'm 6-2 270 lbs. I was 285 lbs when I was shopping the SC430. I have a shorter torso, meaning my legs are the length of a taller person, with big thighs. Plus I have a belly (not as big as a beer gut but there is a belly) and sore knees from HS/college football.
Bottom line, I need a lot of legroom. The SC430 just didn't make me feel comfortable. I'm not really as comfy in the GS as I'd like to be. The car has narrow door openings and just barely satisfies my legroom requirements. Lexus just doesn't get it. It seems only the trucks, the LS and the SC300/400 fit me well enough.
It isn't just me. You ever see guys my size in the SC430? No.
Old 02-12-09, 09:34 PM
CAMAracer
Pole Position

The SC430 does come in a lot of "old people" colors which is why I choose Indigo Ink.

I'm <30 YO and live in SF and I drive around in my car all the time (my DD). I'm surprised you haven't seen me around 'cause I know you won't miss me
Old 02-12-09, 10:46 PM
jsl757
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dzy
Don't get offended, everybody on this message board seems like fun loving types. But I'm driving around the SF Bay Area and I seem to be the only guy under 50, let alone 35 driving a 2nd gen SC. Plenty of young dudes driving the first gen though. I should of got an IS-F, except it's too small for me and I really wanted a convertible. I like sitting in it and driving it, I'm probably just too self consious. But it doesn't help that all my friends started calling me "old man" when they found out I like to eat at places like Harry's Hofbrau.
I'm 29 and I love Harry's Hofbrau. That place is dead after 6:30pm though since all the older folks eat dinner at 5, tomorrows special is the miner bones. Yum!
Old 02-12-09, 11:07 PM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ice350
I'm 6-2 270 lbs. ... You ever see guys my size in the SC430? No.
sports coupes in general aren't exactly made for obese people. you probably won't have any better luck fitting in a g37. that doesn't make it an old man's car.
Old 02-12-09, 11:44 PM
Roofless
Lead Lap

It sounds like in addition to the SC430 being an old man's car, it's also a car for BIG and TALL men -- except Ice350.

Ice350, this conversation came up in 2002 or 2003 in this forum, and after many posts, we figured out that the guy who couldn't get a good fit, had longer legs than everyone else, even though he was a couple inches shorter than other tall owners reporting a good fit.

That, along with your football knees, could explain your discomfort. Sorry 'bout that.

Last edited by Roofless; 02-12-09 at 11:54 PM.
Old 02-13-09, 12:16 AM
LexFather

No its not but the internet will have you believe some things.....When it debuted it was the hottest car out for a moment and clearly the hottest Lexus out. Anyone remember the SC 430 with the "Davin" wheels on MTV? It was quite the hit with young people initially. Of course, young people move on to the next thing while older people (wiser with money) stick with the SC. It appealed to both.

Technically it WILL (as any) appeal to older people b/c its a $65,000 car new and looking at demographics, older people can easily afford it.

With the prices now in the 20s, look for young people and value conscious older people to buy it.
Old 02-13-09, 05:04 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jason702
sports coupes in general aren't exactly made for obese people. you probably won't have any better luck fitting in a g37. that doesn't make it an old man's car.
Obese......I'm big, not obese. I look like a guy who used to play football.
I guess the AMA definition would call me obese but no one I know considers me that.
I've already sat in the G37 and I felt more comfortable than in the SC430 or my GS350. Had I been sure it was gonna be more comfy than the G35, I would have waited for it.

The thread topic is about age of SC430 drivers. I only introduced size because very few tall and/or big people buy it despite what a few tall guys here say. Just look around. I think that has a bearing on choice more than the age. This means I don't think it's an old persons car. I think it's a car for smaller people. Even if your body fits it's feels tight. Lexus hasn't learned how to maximize space as well as other brands. If I fit comfy in a c-class benz I should fit in any Lexus.

Last edited by Ice350; 02-13-09 at 05:16 AM.
Old 02-13-09, 06:11 AM
Bellex
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
No its not but the internet will have you believe some things.....When it debuted it was the hottest car out for a moment and clearly the hottest Lexus out. Anyone remember the SC 430 with the "Davin" wheels on MTV? It was quite the hit with young people initially. Of course, young people move on to the next thing while older people (wiser with money) stick with the SC. It appealed to both.

Technically it WILL (as any) appeal to older people b/c its a $65,000 car new and looking at demographics, older people can easily afford it.

With the prices now in the 20s, look for young people and value conscious older people to buy it.
I do remember the SC430 on MTV back in the early 2000's - however I have lusted after one since I first laid eyes on it at the 01 Philadelphia Auto Show in stock form. I am still in my 20's (yet I've been told that i'm an old soul). I did not buy the SC for status or to "show off": I absolutely love the sexy look, the unparalleled ride, the stellar reliability and build quality... not to mention the amazing resale value these cars have! Also notable I am a car enthusiast (as mentioned in my intro thread - I've driven it all from Maximas/ Audis/ G35c/ 350z/e.t.c.) - I have not fell in love owning any car like I have with this - so my answer is no - the SC430 is not an "old person's car." It is a car for drivers who exude style and desire the best all around coupe/convertible for the money.

*now if you have a beige SC430 the story might be a bit different

Quick Reply: Is the SC430 an old person's car?