SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Is the SC430 an old person's car?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-09, 11:42 AM
intdiamond
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jackalope
Did you happen to read the post from the guy who can't afford his SC?

Old guys have more money. They can afford a $70K car better than young guys. It's not an old guys' car, it takes an old guys' money.
Since when is a person's age directly correlated to their bank account? I think it has more to do with disposable income; I had more disposable income in my 20's than I do now, though I now have much more money. I also have a few friends who are supporting their parents, who's retirement savings evaporated in the economic meltdown. (Bygones )
Old 02-14-09, 04:36 PM
TEXASMAJOR
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im 20 and the vehicle is very appealing to me...people have different opinions.. a lot of haters out there....
old mans car or not, the sc430 is very well built IMO
Old 02-14-09, 04:59 PM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SSP Racing
Im 25 bought my 04 new. It's white on black so I know its rare.
can you please post some pictures, I would love to see that combo.
Old 02-14-09, 06:36 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Next you guys are gonna say the IS is a comfy fit too.

Before I start thinking I'm crazy, I'm going back to try the SC430 once more. Then I'll more accurately describe my comfortability. I'll also ask the sales guys some info on the demographics of SC buyers.
Old 02-14-09, 10:52 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Ice350
Next you guys are gonna say the IS is a comfy fit too.

Before I start thinking I'm crazy, I'm going back to try the SC430 once more. Then I'll more accurately describe my comfortability. I'll also ask the sales guys some info on the demographics of SC buyers.
Actually I already did I fit in the IS fine. What does feel smaller clearly are the dimensions overall (width/length/headroom) but never legroom IMO. Heck the IS and SC drivers seats hit the rear sit when all the way back.
Old 02-15-09, 09:43 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Actually I already did I fit in the IS fine. What does feel smaller clearly are the dimensions overall (width/length/headroom) but never legroom IMO. Heck the IS and SC drivers seats hit the rear sit when all the way back.
Recently, I took an IS for a loaner. No way I could own that car. Impossible. I owned 2 Nissan Sentra's and felt more comfy in those than the IS.

The seatback hitting the rear seat is my biggest problem with the SC. Can't go back far enough to suit me....but I am going to try it again one day this week. I would love to buy a Lexus coupe again.
Old 02-15-09, 12:50 PM
FALCON1
Driver

I'm 64 and have driven my 2002 since new when I was just 58 and crept out of my 911 Carrera which by the way made me feel old as it beat the hell out of me on long trips and if you notice more gray guys drive them due to their price.

The SC is a great car, once you get out of one it shows in your face and I get more looks and compliments from guys and gals still to the day moreso than I ever got in the Porsche.

As long as YOU like it who the hell cares what anyone else thinks..remember, they are too busy wondering what you think of their wheels in the process.

FALCON 1
Old 02-15-09, 01:25 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 112 Likes on 97 Posts

...at 43 I don't think it's an old man's car...but have always considered it a more classy coupe,for the mature crowd ...lol !!! But seriously I think the price has kept the younger crowd,to think about other alternatives.When the car came out in 02',I had to have it...but wasn't in a situation to afford,due to divorce.Now that I have one...old and young look in awe.I think with the mods,it's becoming more attractive to the young,tuner crowd.Although I own one...when I see one come down the street,it always makes me look twice...and I notice them looking at me also !!! ed
Old 02-15-09, 02:48 PM
Amini9
Lexus Test Driver

Not saying older people dont want speed, but the SC is known for comfort while [other] cars are more sporty... and who as a younger person DOESNT want the petal to the metal feel?

1SC ftw (comfort + speed)
Old 02-16-09, 01:57 AM
carbuff
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

I have owned many different types and styles of cars throughout my life. The common thread linking all of my purchases has been that I have bought the best car that I could afford at the time. One of the determining factors has been that the car I bought had to provide me with what that period of my life required.

By this I mean, transportation for me when I was single, transportation for my family once I had one, transportation for business purposes and finally, a car that provided all the style and quality that I desired for my retirement years.

The SC meets my retirement criteria, needs and desires. I love the look of the SC, luxuriate in its riding comfort and ambiance. I revel in the speed the SC produces when I put the accelerator to the floor. Lastly, I marvel at technical excellence of its bells and whistles.

I am one of those “elderly” who have chosen the SC because I can afford one financially and have given myself a reward earned through a lifetime of labor in the workforce.
Old 02-16-09, 10:16 PM
sc430guy
Rookie

im 23 and I enjoy my 06 sc430 greatly
Old 02-17-09, 09:37 AM
bursond
Pole Position

Question

I am in the market for one. Is anyone selling???

817-800-1271
Old 02-17-09, 09:44 AM
COOLIS
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

I think the SC is a middle aged womens weekend car, as it is for my mom. It looks like a chicks car to me. Dont get me wrong its a great car, just not for someone under 40. If you want something similar get the 03 and up MB SL500 or SL550.
Old 02-17-09, 08:37 PM
intdiamond
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by COOLIS
I think the SC is a middle aged womens weekend car, as it is for my mom. It looks like a chicks car to me. Dont get me wrong its a great car, just not for someone under 40. If you want something similar get the 03 and up MB SL500 or SL550.
Ouch.
Old 02-17-09, 08:42 PM
Roofless
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bursond
I am in the market for one. Is anyone selling???
How old are you?

Quick Reply: Is the SC430 an old person's car?