SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Surprising things you learned about the SC long after buying it

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-11, 01:11 PM
JerryB
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ausbun
Looking through the manual for my wife's new RX350, I noticed a listing for the automatic transmission lock override button. Then I found it in my SC430 manual, too.

It's that little slotted cover near the shifter.

If you can't take the car out of park, even with the brakes on, just slip a flat-blade screwdriver in the slot, pull the cover off and push the button inside while moving the shifter. That's all.

Some days, I learn something.
Hi ausbun,

My '03 Toyota Tacoma has this feature also.

I found out the hard way. Had a trailer taillight receiver wired wrong and popped the fuse everytime I stepped on the brake pedal to get it out of PARK. I called my mechanic & he explained this neat feature to me. After I got the SC home, I noticed that little slot and thought 'Very nice.'

I'm thinking that probably all Toyota vehicles have this feature.

Jerry Baumchen

PS) I 'understand' that the actual design is to have you put a key in the slot.
Old 01-23-11, 01:26 PM
antigeek
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I've seen that slot on several cars, but never understood how you could fit a key into it to disengage the park lock. I finally learned, while installing my Vais SLU unit, that it's a cover. It's not as easy as with a small screwdriver, but you can insert the tip of your key, twist it slightly and lift. Then you can use the key to depress the switch.
Old 01-24-11, 07:27 AM
ausbun
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Changes in antenna length

Originally Posted by rcroller
Awesome thread...I just learned why my power antenna goes up all the way and then part way back down...in addition to a dozen other things that I wouldn't have known otherwise. You guys rock! (and thought it deserved the bump for any other noobs)
I notice the antenna changing position as I change stations sometimes. Is the car automatically changing the mast length to maximize reception? I know that antenna length is important to transmitting stations; is it that crucial to receivers, too? My science education doesn't quite reach that far.
Old 01-24-11, 08:03 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by ausbun
I notice the antenna changing position as I change stations sometimes. Is the car automatically changing the mast length to maximize reception? I know that antenna length is important to transmitting stations; is it that crucial to receivers, too? My science education doesn't quite reach that far.
You hit it right. It optimizes reception by varying the mast height.
Old 01-31-11, 06:09 PM
margie
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I cant believe how many options my sc430 has , I have never owned a Lexus, I know this is a stupid question, but what is the antenna for in the windshield for? The
radio reception, The navigation system?
Old 01-31-11, 06:29 PM
VVTiBob

Received 268 Likes on 204 Posts

It an auxiliary antenna for the FM radio used to reduce multipath interference. The NAV antenna is behind the NAV screen and under the dash.
Old 02-02-11, 09:05 AM
jeffwingo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by scrdstr
Did anyone know this I sure didn't, found out today and tried and it works. When you put the top back up the quarter windows don't auto open so I had to put the top up a little way then press open and they opened and then I could put the top up.

Closing the quarter windows

1. Turn the ignition switch on.
2. Turn the trunk lid opener main switch (in the glove box) from the operative position to the inoperative position
(in the canceled position)
3. Push the "OPEN/CLOSE" switch on the "OPEN" side twice slowly, within 10 seconds after Step 2.
4. Hold down the same switch on the "CLOSE" side once within 10 seconds after Step 3.
The quarter windows will close.
One note: The Ignition is to be in the ON position but the car shouldn't be started. IMHO, this should be much easier. My Solara had a single switch that put them all up or down.
Old 02-02-11, 10:13 AM
mandyfig

Sorry in advance, is the above referring to the ability to put up the qtr windows? If not, how do you get the qtr windows to go up while the top is down?
Old 02-02-11, 11:11 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

You either have to re-wire the window controls (in an earlier thread that you can do a search for) or get Luxlink. I'm not aware of any other way.
Old 02-02-11, 12:08 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

AS far as I know the only way to control rear 1/4 windows is either with the luxlink or a build it yourself relay control that you have to wire in. There was a thread a number of years ago about being able to just slightly tapping the inside roof switch and being able to fool the windows into staying down with the top up. I never tryed it and I think it was just a lot of trouble and stress on the top switch to do that. There was someone that showed there car with top up and 1/4 windows down. I put in a luxlink with 1/4 window mod and that works for me

Last edited by mrblister; 02-02-11 at 12:16 PM.
Old 02-02-11, 02:37 PM
antigeek
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Here's a link to the relay DIY mod for the 1/4 windows:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...part-deux.html
Old 02-07-11, 03:05 AM
jeffwingo
Driver School Candidate

Default quarter windows

Originally Posted by mandyfig
Sorry in advance, is the above referring to the ability to put up the qtr windows? If not, how do you get the qtr windows to go up while the top is down?
the post above describes how to put up the quarter windows with the top down. yes, it works.
Old 03-25-11, 07:22 AM
mandyfig

Originally Posted by scrdstr
Did anyone know this I sure didn't, found out today and tried and it works. When you put the top back up the quarter windows don't auto open so I had to put the top up a little way then press open and they opened and then I could put the top up.

Closing the quarter windows

1. Turn the ignition switch on.
2. Turn the trunk lid opener main switch (in the glove box) from the operative position to the inoperative position
(in the canceled position)
3. Push the "OPEN/CLOSE" switch on the "OPEN" side twice slowly, within 10 seconds after Step 2.
4. Hold down the same switch on the "CLOSE" side once within 10 seconds after Step 3.
The quarter windows will close.
Been reviewing this gem of a thread for a refresher. Is the above a way to raise the QTR window when the top is down? Had to ask.
Old 03-25-11, 07:36 AM
mandyfig

Originally Posted by Habious
The override ability is still present in the Gen 2/3 systems using the latest map data disk (10.1).

I have 10.1, and I used the override just yesterday (handy!!)
I have the 10.1, can you please tell me how to overide? What does override mean?
Old 03-25-11, 08:22 AM
VIPNiSS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mandyfig
I have the 10.1, can you please tell me how to overide? What does override mean?
Mandy,

The override allows you to use the nav system while the car is moving. There is a "safety lockout" that disables alot of the functions while the car is moving. When you enable the override it allows to you to navigate around the system freely. The only downside is when you turn off the car you have to do the sequence again to put it in to the "override" mode

Quick Reply: Surprising things you learned about the SC long after buying it