SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Surprising things you learned about the SC long after buying it

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-13, 11:55 AM
Habious
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Prasha
I think few people here have used silicon glue over the cracked speaker, not sure about the quality of sound.
As others here have done, I replaced the foam surrounds on both door 6x9's and the 8" sub in the rear seat.

I got the refoaming kits from Amazon.

For all three speakers, I think it cost me maybe $40...total.

Brought the system back to factory original sound (which is pretty decent...for a factory system).
Old 11-04-13, 03:22 PM
teacher
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2008 PB SC430 but not sure what Gen that navigation is. Does anyone know if I'm able to override the navigation?
Old 11-09-13, 07:24 PM
sorka
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I went a whole month before I realized there was a wood trim door that covers the ML sound system and that the little button right above the ashtray opens and closes it.
Old 11-10-13, 09:01 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you can unplug the rear power antenna so that its always down, I did it on mine and it was "okay" with my new pioneer unit I purchased a powered hidden antenna that i left behind the HU and it works even better
Old 11-16-13, 10:38 AM
depone
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sc430guy
Date girls who exercise haha.

"Why are we parking way over here?"
"so I dont get my door dented or paint scratched"
"you're just worrying / that wont happen / blah blah blah"
"Ok. Next time you pick me up and you drive"
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

just spent over $700 to repair a door dent put in by some inconsiderate ***. I really think in some cases it's done by an envious dimwit. One time, while exiting a grocery store I saw a woman empty her cart and then push it hard toward three empty parking places across the aisle and send it crashing into the side of my car. When I confronted her she said "it's only a car. what are you going to do about it?"

Being the commanding officer of a sheriffs department I took her by the shoulder, turned her around, cuffed her and called for a cruiser to transport her to the county jail. All that frozen food! Too bad lady.

She got 100 hours of community service and had to pay full restitution for the damages. For some reason I felt much better.
The following 2 users liked this post by depone:
jimisbell (06-12-21), rlp1949 (08-07-23)
Old 11-16-13, 11:37 AM
barncat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by depone
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

just spent over $700 to repair a door dent put in by some inconsiderate ***. I really think in some cases it's done by an envious dimwit. One time, while exiting a grocery store I saw a woman empty her cart and then push it hard toward three empty parking places across the aisle and send it crashing into the side of my car. When I confronted her she said "it's only a car. what are you going to do about it?"

Being the commanding officer of a sheriffs department I took her by the shoulder, turned her around, cuffed her and called for a cruiser to transport her to the county jail. All that frozen food! Too bad lady.

She got 100 hours of community service and had to pay full restitution for the damages. For some reason I felt much better.
It does my heart good when things work out like that! People can be such jerks.
Old 11-17-13, 12:46 AM
lolabunny
Driver School Candidate

What a great thread. Thanks for the insight
Old 03-03-14, 02:27 PM
430red
Driver School Candidate

Default GPS Override

New to a 2003 red SC430 and enjoy browsing the forum. Sure would like to read about the override.
Thanks
Old 05-01-14, 05:56 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

If you are driving down the freeway doing 55 MPH and shift into reverse, the SC is smart enough to not actually shift the transmission into reverse.

However, if you have added a rear view camera, you will get the rear video on the screen.

No, I didn't do this on purpose. It did take a few seconds before I figured out what had happened. Seeing the rear video while going forward at 55MPH was a bit disorientating.
Old 05-02-14, 07:07 AM
Habious
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyCake
If you are driving down the freeway doing 55 MPH and shift into reverse, the SC is smart enough to not actually shift the transmission into reverse.

However, if you have added a rear view camera, you will get the rear video on the screen.

No, I didn't do this on purpose. It did take a few seconds before I figured out what had happened. Seeing the rear video while going forward at 55MPH was a bit disorientating.
I can't imagine how anyone could do this accidentally, unless they were...I don't know...changing their clothes at freeway speeds or something crazy like that.
Old 05-02-14, 07:13 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Habious
I can't imagine how anyone could do this accidentally, unless they were...I don't know...changing their clothes at freeway speeds or something crazy like that.
Maybe someone was trying to join the Mile High club on 4 wheels and hit the shifter LOL

Simple work around if you have a camera that is activated by shifting your shifter into reverse.

Just install a 12 volt switched feed to your camera and when ever you want to see what is behind you while driving forward just hit the switch. Works for me
Old 05-03-14, 09:26 AM
NAmVet68
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by teacher
I have a 2008 PB SC430 but not sure what Gen that navigation is. Does anyone know if I'm able to override the navigation?

I know its an old thread, but I thought I'd answer this to close the loop.

I have a 2008 also...and the Nav system is a Gen 4.....and no, the override doesn't work, and they haven't fixed it even with the latest map upgrade (13.1).
My solution: I carry a spare Garmin as a backup...

Great thread BTW!
Old 05-03-14, 11:03 AM
Moonstruck
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

OK, how about this one. How you randomly open the garage door 2 or 3 times a day just to have a look at her sitting there in all her glory. Just got my 07 out of winter storage yesterday so I might be a little over emotional right now.
Old 05-03-14, 03:01 PM
FLYCT

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Moonstruck
OK, how about this one. How you randomly open the garage door 2 or 3 times a day just to have a look at her sitting there in all her glory. Just got my 07 out of winter storage yesterday so I might be a little over emotional right now.
Better yet, put a security camera in your garage so any time you have a need for a "fix" just bring it up on your smart phone.

Here are my SC430s in the garage, with hoods up since they are connected to battery minders.

Old 05-03-14, 04:12 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

One important aspect I've learned from owning my 2002 is when you drop the top at a stop light in traffic, onlookers' necks break trying to sneak a peak!

Quick Reply: Surprising things you learned about the SC long after buying it