SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Surprising things you learned about the SC long after buying it

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-21, 02:33 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 557 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by jimisbell
Because it has the over ride capability. I have a 15.1 version and can put it in if I am going on a trip to the inner cities where all the changes are. But even the latest version is 5 years old and things have changed in the past 5 years.
On a long road trip it is often nice to be able to put in a new destination on the fly and the long road trips are when the old versions are OK.
Your phone map can all of that and much more.
Old 06-15-21, 02:59 PM
jimisbell
Instructor

Received 143 Likes on 108 Posts

yes and the screen is tiny and it looks like hell awkwardly clamped to the dash with an aftermarket piece of plastic trash. Kind of like a motorcycle with training wheels and a one wheel trailer clamped to the back bumper and a bent clothes hangar for an antenna.
Old 06-15-21, 05:13 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

yes and the screen is tiny and it looks like hell awkwardly clamped to the dash with an aftermarket piece of plastic trash. Kind of like a motorcycle with training wheels and a one wheel trailer clamped to the back bumper and a bent clothes hangar for an antenna.
Then replace the ML with modern unit then mirror it to the Nav screen. The idear is not using the outdated software and no live traffic. The latter is a great benefit especially for those who live in big cities and commute to work.
Old 06-15-21, 05:15 PM
jimisbell
Instructor

what is ML?
Old 06-15-21, 06:05 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

what is ML?
It’s your Radio, CD, Cassette combo unit namely Mark Levinson.
Old 06-15-21, 06:08 PM
jimisbell
Instructor

ok, well no, I wont replace it. I dont go into the "Big City" often and I have never needed trafic reports. So i can stick with the old system. Just need to know how to get to that secret menu.
Old 06-15-21, 06:38 PM
oneround
Intermediate

Received 136 Likes on 103 Posts

ok, well no, I wont replace it. I dont go into the "Big City" often and I have never needed trafic reports. So i can stick with the old system. Just need to know how to get to that secret menu.
Is this post what you were looking for?

Old 06-15-21, 06:59 PM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Received 190 Likes on 149 Posts

I use the lower screen pioneer on apple car play then show waze. I can use the factory nav to select alternate routes/destinations.
Old 06-15-21, 07:03 PM
jimisbell
Instructor

Originally Posted by oneround
Is this post what you were looking for?
Yes, that is what I was looking for. Thank you.
Old 06-15-21, 07:03 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Here you go:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...overrride.html
Old 07-30-21, 06:58 PM
elibutton
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I'm in the SC Club now. Just purchased a 2010 SC430, 52k miles. Only driven it about 200 miles in the past month but there are some things I didn't know about this model - some of which I assumed would be in this vehicle since it's in my 2008 GS460.....
- No backup camera....? Huh?
- No park assist sensors - - that makes me nervous as I'm used to them
- No automatic mirrors (folding).....huh? I thought this was a given too but nope.
- No push button start w/ key fob? WTH? I thought this was a given too since it's in my 08 GS
- Lacking controls on steering wheel

I get this feeling that Lexus knew it was ending the SC and they opted not to put in any additional tech upgrades as mentioned above. I'm also getting a slight wind noise as the car hits 35mph with the top closed - located at the top right hand side (passenger side) near where it latches and closes. Wonder if that's the weather stripping wearing?

And I had no idea about the motorized antenna sticking up when radio turned on. I heard the noise but figured it was something else or lights but I didn't know and I went into a carwash with radio on. Yeah, feel like Homer Simpson.

But when you put the top down and cruise - oh baby - that's just gorgeous. Doesn't ride as smooth as my GS, I may look into upgrading the suspension.
Old 07-31-21, 07:45 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

Welcome to the SC430 forum elibutton. Yeah, all those items are not included with the SC430. (There's a stickie about things to look for on a SC430 at the top of the forum.)

Lot's of folks have added the rear camera and some the park assist sensors.
Regarding the steering wheel controls, there are the audio system controls on the steering wheel but that is about it.
Regarding the antenna, there's a thread or two about how to replace the antenna mast.
Regarding the wind noise, most likely that is the little triangle weatherstripping around the tweeter. Here's a thread with DIY that I recorded to replace that (see post 37 & 109 and a few after that with further hints.)
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...ml#post5681301
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...l#post10509396

Good luck with upgrades/repairs and enjoy your SC430!
The following users liked this post:
elibutton (07-31-21)
Old 07-31-21, 09:25 AM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Received 190 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by elibutton
Well I'm in the SC Club now. Just purchased a 2010 SC430, 52k miles. Only driven it about 200 miles in the past month but there are some things I didn't know about this model - some of which I assumed would be in this vehicle since it's in my 2008 GS460.....
- No backup camera....? Huh?
- No park assist sensors - - that makes me nervous as I'm used to them
- No automatic mirrors (folding).....huh? I thought this was a given too but nope.
- No push button start w/ key fob? WTH? I thought this was a given too since it's in my 08 GS
- Lacking controls on steering wheel

I get this feeling that Lexus knew it was ending the SC and they opted not to put in any additional tech upgrades as mentioned above. I'm also getting a slight wind noise as the car hits 35mph with the top closed - located at the top right hand side (passenger side) near where it latches and closes. Wonder if that's the weather stripping wearing?

And I had no idea about the motorized antenna sticking up when radio turned on. I heard the noise but figured it was something else or lights but I didn't know and I went into a carwash with radio on. Yeah, feel like Homer Simpson.

But when you put the top down and cruise - oh baby - that's just gorgeous. Doesn't ride as smooth as my GS, I may look into upgrading the suspension.
factory shock dampening setup has too much high speed compression dampening and not enough low speed compression dampening. Kicks back on sharp edges and bottoms on big dips.

the MeisterR’s CRD struts fixed both issues,
elibutton (07-31-21)
Old 08-01-21, 02:52 PM
jimisbell
Instructor

Last night I was shocked to find this. Next time I wont react as I did last night. I was driving at dusk with the sunset behind me and a clear, almost white sky in front. As I rounded the corner I saw two guylines from a telephone post streaching across in front of me and I was about to hit them.. I swerved slightly and they disapeared and I went on. It was the two leads in the windshield to the antenna that I saw. Lighting was just right. Probably never see that again. But I am ready now if I do.

Last edited by jimisbell; 08-01-21 at 04:24 PM.
Old 08-04-21, 03:56 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 485 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by elibutton
...there are some things I didn't know about this model - some of which I assumed would be in this vehicle since it's in my 2008 GS460.....
Congrats on getting the 2010, the last year the SC430 was manufactured! Unfortunately, the tech you miss is due to the fact that your vehicle was designed in the 1990's. During its ten-year run in the 2000's, it had relatively few upgrades, especially tech upgrades.
elibutton (08-14-21)

Quick Reply: Surprising things you learned about the SC long after buying it