SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

New Hardtop Convertibles

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-09, 08:56 PM
ntr987
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Hardtop Convertibles

VW came out with a real four person hardtop convertible. Check this link out. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQvY18zk2IY
Im not suggesting that VW could even compare to the luxury of the lexus, but its a stride in seeing many more manufactures producing hardtop convertible. As far as I know VW, Lexus, Mercedes, infiniti and volvo currently have some sort of hardtop convertibles. The Aluminum hardtop seems to be the new standard and hopefully Lexus has something up their sleeve. Maybe a new SC?
Old 02-13-09, 11:19 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

These are all the hardtop convertibles available in the American market this year:

3-Series
G37
IS-C
SC430
Volvo C70
VW Eos
MB SLK
MB SL
Mazda Miata
Cadillac XLR
Pontiac G6
Chrysler Sebring
Ferrari California

Most cars will have hardtop convertibles due to safety, security, and stability.

The problem is that it makes the car extremely heavy and bulky-looking, so most performance oriented cars such as Aston Martin, Ferrari, and even the Sky/Solstice will continue making ragtops. On the other hand, automakers will just go the cheaper route for economy cars, such as the Mini Cooper or VW Beetle.

The IS-C is going to be more of a "cruiser." If Lexus decides to make the next gen SC more sport-oriented (which they should), it may revert to coupe-only form, or a ragtop. Did you notice that the LF-A is a coupe, with a ragtop option?

Last edited by PhilipMSPT; 02-14-09 at 08:26 PM. Reason: Forgot a car...
Old 02-14-09, 04:16 AM
CBG
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
These are all the hardtop convertibles available in the American market this year:

3-Series
G37
IS-C
SC430
Volvo C70
VW Eos
MB SLK
MB SL
Mazda Miata
Cadillac XLR
Pontiac G6
Ferrari California

Most cars will have hardtop convertibles due to safety, security, and stability.

The problem is that it makes the car extremely heavy and bulky-looking, so most performance oriented cars such as Aston Martin, Ferrari, and even the Sky/Solstice will continue making ragtops. On the other hand, automakers will just go the cheaper route for economy cars, such as the Mini Cooper or VW Beetle.

The IS-C is going to be more of a "cruiser." If Lexus decides to make the next gen SC more sport-oriented (which they should), it may revert to coupe-only form, or a ragtop. Did you notice that the LF-A is a coupe, with a ragtop option?
Chrysler Sebring also has a new hardtop convertable.

Last edited by CBG; 02-14-09 at 04:38 AM.
Old 02-14-09, 06:48 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 222 Likes on 150 Posts

The Mazda MX-5 hardtop convertible is only 75 pounds heavier than the ragtop version. I think the next SC should definitely be a hardtop convertible instead of a ragtop.
Old 02-14-09, 11:50 AM
intdiamond
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CBG
Chrysler Sebring also has a new hardtop convertable.
AND the Fisker Karma S
also, Maserati is due to unleash a hardtop convertible later this year...
Old 02-14-09, 08:29 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
I think the next SC should definitely be a hardtop convertible instead of a ragtop.
If Lexus does keep it a hardtop, it needs to be a two seater to differentiate itself from the IS-C. One for cruising, and one for sport.

Like how BMW has the 335 convertible as well as the new Z4 hardtop. Both have different functions and cater to two different populations (with the exception of the M variants). Now, I wonder if the 6-Series will ever go hardtop too?

For MB, I don't like how the SLK and SL are too similar in function (although significantly different in price and status). I don't want the IS-C and SC to suffer the same mistake...
Old 02-15-09, 07:16 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 222 Likes on 150 Posts

I have no problem with the next SC being a 2-seater at all, the current generation is practically a 2-seater anyway, & up here, the insurance isn't higher for a 2-seater unlike what I've heard in the U.S. (here, it's higher for cars that's supposed to be sportier & usually driven by younger people, I think they look at the claim records rather than whether there are back seats.)

As for the SLK & SL, I think the SLK is more cramped inside, but with Mercedes, they have too many models anyway, & still introducing more ...
Old 02-15-09, 09:16 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

The Mazda MX-5 hardtop convertible is only 75 pounds heavier than the ragtop version.
Ditto, the 3-series hardtop convertible is very similar in weight to the last ragtop version. I am sure the top being aluminum helps a lot to offset the weight.

I think the main issue is space, making the styling more bulky-looking.
Old 02-15-09, 09:20 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Now, I wonder if the 6-Series will ever go hardtop too?
I am sure it will, just a matter of time.

I think all future convertible will be hardtop, unless there is really no space for it like in the 911 and Boxster. Cost is no longer an issue as seen by all the lower price car having this feature: Miata, G6 and Sebring.
Old 02-15-09, 09:28 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

As for the SLK & SL, I think the SLK is more cramped inside
Yes the SLK and SL have a huge difference in size, also engine power and available options and features. They are extremely different even though they are both a 2 seaters convertible.

The top of the line AMG SLK55 still have less HP and torque then the bottom of the line non-AMG SL550. K stand for compact in German, it simply means it is a smaller, lesser version.