SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Streaking Can Be Fun But....

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-09, 06:47 PM
Rustito
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Streaking Can Be Fun But....

not down the side of my 04 PB!! OK, I have the light blue 04 Pebble Beach - this is my 2nd winter owning it - not garage kept. From the start I had dark streaks down the driver and passanger windows mostly where the rubber comes together at the top of the window. Dealer said this was "normal" - I never thought so. This winter I have not driven the car for about a month and I noticed dark streaks down the side windows but now also down the doors themselves (shows on the light color very clearly). Seems like it is coming from the rubber around top of windows and maybe going down the door from bottom rubber (also noticed a streak going down from the PB badging side front of car - but not as bad as on doors). Today I went out and just washed the doors (until it is warm enough to do entire car). I usually use Zaino.

So my questions are whether anyone has had this? Does it sound like the rubber is breaking down and causing this? Is there a product to treat the rubber to keep it from breaking down? If I have the Dealer reseal the windows might I risk leaking (or other) problems?? I bought car from Lexus dealer and it is Pre-Owned Certified. Also, when windows go down and up after rain there are clear water streaks on outside of windows (is this normal)?

Just wanted some input before talking to dealer.
Thanks, Rustito
Old 02-26-09, 06:54 PM
Rustito
Pole Position

Just realized I was not totally clear that the original dark streaks down the windows would occur after it rained so it seemed to be streaking caused by the rubber seal around the top of the window. Easy to wipe off but shouldn't be happening. The bigger concern was when the doors themselves were streaked.
Rustito
Old 02-26-09, 08:50 PM
Hey Johnny
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've noticed this on mine also.
Old 02-27-09, 06:00 AM
tfischer

Received 223 Likes on 164 Posts

Many, if not most (maybe all) professionals use 303 Aerospace Protectant on rubber and vinyl. I have put this on all gaskets around the windows, doors and folding top parts since I got the car. The product protects from damage by the sun and by aging. Also recommended for tires, to prevent breakdown by the sun (especially if you park the car outdoors), and it is excellent on dashboards (especially convertibles).
Highly recommended.
You can read about it here on the manufacturer's site:
http://www.303products.com/tech/inde...TOKEN=39923962
Old 02-27-09, 10:11 AM
robsvdp
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't guarantee it, but it's likely that the streaking is some product that someone used to dress the rubber. I too uses 303, and guess what -- it does cause some streaks too. Basically, rubber absorbs only a little of the product, but most sits on the surface (which with 303 is a good thing, as that little layer is what protects from UV). Just wash it off and move on.
Old 02-27-09, 10:36 AM
tfischer

Received 223 Likes on 164 Posts

For tires, I spray the 303 on and wipe off the excess, but for gaskets around doors and windows, I spray it onto a cloth and apply that to the gasket, which prevents drips.
I think the problem of the OP is not the residue dripping down but the deteriorated state of his gaskets; hopefully they can be rejuvenated at this time.
Finally, I think it is normal for windows to show water after being put down and then up after a wash or after a rain. This happens to my cars all the time, and is not a symptom of bad gaskets. Water inside the car at any point after a rain or washing would be cause for concern.
Old 02-28-09, 11:44 AM
Rustito
Pole Position

Thanks all for the input on my streaking problem. I think the dealer did treat the rubber around the windows this past year after I complained about the streaking on the windows. My concern now is that it had never streaked down the sides of the doors so I thought maybe the rubber was getting worse. Also didn't want to damage the paint so washed it right down. Might have dealer take another look when I bring it in next - we have some great people at the dealership in Rockville, MD.
Rustito