SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

VSC / VSC OFF Lights

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-18, 05:26 AM
lugnuts
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default P0051

Have had the dreaded P0051 code and VSC/VSC Off and check engine lights for 3-4 years, and headlight warning light too! Everything I've read in the forum regarding 0051 is that it points to oxygen sensor. Recently tried the paper clip reset which didn't fix the issue. Bride is going to drop the SC off at Sheehy Lexus in Annapolis (130 miles!) next week for the passenger side air bag replacement - perhaps Sheehy can make us a good deal on a new oxygen sensor (Las Vegas odds on that??!!). Headlight warning light perhaps is one of the two sensors also explained in this forum..
Old 06-24-18, 03:22 PM
mak99
Pit Crew

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by dbcolli
I had taken my car to a Lexus dealer for a new key. They asked if I wanted a free 26 point inspection I said sure. Upon leaving the dealship the VSC light was on, I returned back to the dealership and they took the car to the service bay and in less than 5 min had the problem fixed. I asked what they did and did not get a firm answer.
^^ from post #8, 04-15-09

I just did the same thing yesterday morning @ the Lexus dealership (new second master key + flat key, no inspection was requested/mentioned) for my 2002 SC430 bought on 3/31/18 which came with one master key only. As I was driving away I noticed the VSC and VSC OFF lights were on. I noticed it too late to turn back around and didn't have a chance to call them back. I found this thread this morning and so far have tried the following without success:

• Disconnected positive battery terminal for ~two hours (backed car out of garage, VSC lights came back on)
  • Did the 3-to-5 jumper trick @ the OBD connector with a paper clip (great suggestion!). The ABS light did rapidly blink after a few seconds, though the two VSCs remained on (no blinking) for well over a minute. Backed car out again and VSC lights came back on.
  • I have now disconnected the negative battery terminal to see if that might do the trick. I'll try the jumper method again if the negative terminal doesn't reset the lights.

I will report back if I can solve the issue, or if it still persists, to possibly help others who are having this VSC/VSC OFF lights issue.

Thanks to a great forum with tons of helpful advice!
Old 06-24-18, 04:34 PM
mak99
Pit Crew

>> SUCCESS! <<

Maybe disconnecting the negative battery terminal did the trick.
(unless I didn't fully insert both ends of the paper clip the first time, though I must have since the ABS light was blinking?)

It was unplugged for about an hour. As soon as I backed up about a car length the VSC lights came back on . So I did the jumper wire once again, and after a few seconds of the ignition on and jumper wire removed, both the ABS and VSC lights were blinking (note that the VSC OFF light was not illuminated while the other two blinked). Drove the car down my street and back, no VCS lights were on.

Thanks to all those posters before me that helped me reset these lights! Hopefully the next time I'm on this thread is to offer advice, and not seek it...

EDIT: The lights were blinking during the "jumper installed" step, not after the jumper was removed. Apologies for any confusion.

Last edited by mak99; 06-25-18 at 06:21 PM. Reason: Clarified one step...
The following users liked this post:
QLex300 (12-28-21)
Old 06-24-18, 04:43 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 885 Likes on 709 Posts

Originally Posted by mak99
>> SUCCESS! <<

Maybe disconnecting the negative battery terminal did the trick.
(unless I didn't fully insert both ends of the paper clip the first time, though I must have since the ABS light was blinking?)

It was unplugged for about an hour. As soon as I backed up about a car length the VSC lights came back on . So I did the jumper wire once again, and after a few seconds of the ignition on and jumper wire removed, both the ABS and VSC lights were blinking (note that the VSC OFF light was not illuminated while the other two blinked). Drove the car down my street and back, no VCS lights were on.

Thanks to all those posters before me that helped me reset these lights! Hopefully the next time I'm on this thread is to offer advice, and not seek it...
so glad you fixed the problem!
i just updated the thread below and it provides a little more detail.
it also shows you how to make a VSC reset tool for $2
go to post #38
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...l#post10232997
Old 06-25-18, 06:24 PM
mak99
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Bgw70

so glad you fixed the problem!

As am I. Also, I just edited my post above with a clarification.

Also, I'm 99% sure the first time I tried the procedure (unsuccessfully), the drivers door was open. And I'm 99% sure the second time (successfully), I had the drivers door closed. Not sure if that would make any difference or not but wanted to point that out...
Old 07-08-18, 11:00 PM
beepogie30
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Lexus SC 430 VSC Light , VSC Light On, Check Engine Light

Hi Everybody , I just Updated my Tail light To a 2007 LED Tail light , I replace the Harness, Installed a Bulb for the Signal Light, It Looks Awsome, but as soon as you Turn on the Ignition you will see a burn out Bulb light Come on, After Driving for One hour and turning on the Head lights,
The VSC Off, VSC Light Came on as well as the Check Engine Light. Disconnected the Battery for one hour the Lights VSC Off, VSC , and Check Engine Light , including the Burn out All Came Off, again drove the car half an hour on the freeway as soon as you turn the Head Light on all the the Lights are back on. Decided to Reinstall the Old Tail Light, Every alarm lights are off and everything is back to normal, and its been Two weeks since I saw Those Annoying Lights so Watch out and be very careful you might be also damaging your Car Computer which is Very Expensive, I would Stay with my original Tail Light, Thanks, The Only thing I did not Replace is the ECU, for the Tail Light when I upgraded, which probably is very expensive, and could probably mess up my Beautiful Car.
Old 07-08-18, 11:51 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 557 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by beepogie30
Hi Everybody , I just Updated my Tail light To a 2007 LED Tail light , I replace the Harness, Installed a Bulb for the Signal Light, It Looks Awsome, but as soon as you Turn on the Ignition you will see a burn out Bulb light Come on, After Driving for One hour and turning on the Head lights,
The VSC Off, VSC Light Came on as well as the Check Engine Light. Disconnected the Battery for one hour the Lights VSC Off, VSC , and Check Engine Light , including the Burn out All Came Off, again drove the car half an hour on the freeway as soon as you turn the Head Light on all the the Lights are back on. Decided to Reinstall the Old Tail Light, Every alarm lights are off and everything is back to normal, and its been Two weeks since I saw Those Annoying Lights so Watch out and be very careful you might be also damaging your Car Computer which is Very Expensive, I would Stay with my original Tail Light, Thanks, The Only thing I did not Replace is the ECU, for the Tail Light when I upgraded, which probably is very expensive, and could probably mess up my Beautiful Car.
Harold replaced his tail lights. Wonder if he has the same problem and how to correct it
Old 07-09-18, 07:00 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Like a few of us who upgraded to the LED tails, we went to cover the "bulb burned out" opening on the instrument cluster.

You will have to take off the cluster and tape it up so that you will never see it. There was a post here somewhere.

Well worth the upgrade.

Brings your rear tail-stoplight to the latest model (at least from the rear, lol), seriously the LED's are better safety wise and use a lot less current.

Wonder what they cost a set nowadays. I paid $550 back then. The ECU replacement (for the elimination of the bulb on) will cost a few more and you will have to tear down the rear to replace it.

Last edited by mandyfig; 07-09-18 at 07:05 AM.
Old 07-09-18, 10:25 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by GmanSC
Harold replaced his tail lights. Wonder if he has the same problem and how to correct it
Actually, I just replaced all the bulbs that aren't monitored. I have not done the tail lights. Mandyfig is correct in the handling. Shawn had issues when he replaced his when he tried to add in resistance, others have had mixed results going the resistor route. So as Mandyfig suggests, the two real options are ignore it (or tape over the warning light so it doesn't bother you) or replace the lighting ECU in the trunk. (I forget how much folks have paid for the ECU, but it seems like it was between $100 & $200. Usually purchased off of ebay.)

There are several threads on this subject. Just do a search on tail light replacement.
Old 07-12-18, 03:46 PM
Sig45
Driver School Candidate

Default Vsc / vsc trac off

Ok so I’m new to the forum and a new owner of a 2003 SC 430. (This is our 3rd Lexus)
tpms light is on when started. VSC lights come on after shifting into D or R and moving a few feet. The Llights are steady, not blinking.
Cannot find any reset buttons as one post suggested was above the accelerator.

So so the question is, will using the Zero point calibration posted on this forum short out any sensors or is is truly a reset procedure only?

thanks
Al (Sig45)
Old 07-12-18, 08:02 PM
mak99
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Sig45
Ok so I’m new to the forum and a new owner of a 2003 SC 430. (This is our 3rd Lexus)
tpms light is on when started. VSC lights come on after shifting into D or R and moving a few feet. The Llights are steady, not blinking.
Cannot find any reset buttons as one post suggested was above the accelerator.

So so the question is, will using the Zero point calibration posted on this forum short out any sensors or is is truly a reset procedure only?

thanks
Al (Sig45)
Re: the VSC lights, try the jumper procedure mentioned earlier in this thread. Refer to my own efforts in my earlier posts for my own experience, since I was able to successfully fix this (and still fine to this day).

Re: the TMPS lights, have you verified the tires are properly inflated? Otherwise I'm not gonna be much help on that...I guess just do some more searching for other threads here.

BTW, even though I'm still relatively new here myself - welcome to the forum!
Sig45 (07-13-18)
Old 07-13-18, 08:29 AM
Sig45
Driver School Candidate

Tire pressure is even at 34 psi all four tires (Bridgestone RF's with good tread remaining). May have a bad TPMS unit - getting that checked this weekend.

The check engine light is not on at all. The VSC and VSC trac off lights come on (steady) only after placed in gear and I move a few feet.
Old 07-13-18, 09:44 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 885 Likes on 709 Posts

Originally Posted by Sig45
Tire pressure is even at 34 psi all four tires (Bridgestone RF's with good tread remaining). May have a bad TPMS unit - getting that checked this weekend.

The check engine light is not on at all. The VSC and VSC trac off lights come on (steady) only after placed in gear and I move a few feet.
Welcome to ClubLexus! Post a pic of your SC430 when you get a chance.

Plenty of info on both of these subjects.

Please go here and read up on TPMS...these are unique sensors and most places, other than Lexus or Toyota won’t be able to program them. They are available on eBay for about $67 ea if you purchase all four. They are also color coded.
read this thread.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...02-2006-a.html

ebay TPMS
https://www.ebay.com/itm/LEXUS-OEM-F...from=R40&rt=nc

as for the VSC light, did anyone recently plug any code readers in the OBDII connector under the dash...did you have the car inspected right before this happened? Those are common causes for the lights to come on...what you describe is the normal sequence. Start engine VSC light off, move the car, light on.
pins 4&14 will reset the lights if there is no fault.

see post #38 in this thread for the reset procedure.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...l#post10232997

Last edited by Bgw70; 07-13-18 at 09:50 AM.
Sig45 (07-14-18)
Old 07-14-18, 05:34 PM
Sig45
Driver School Candidate

BgW 70 thank you the paper clip worked like a charm. test drive all a-ok.

Will certainly make a SST as described in another post.

Next step getting my run flat check to see if I have a bad belt or a bad sensor.
Old 02-04-19, 06:35 PM
hhy370626
Driver School Candidate

Default 03 sc430, will check it out, always found helpful informatio

Originally Posted by mann777
Sorry to budge into, Just to let you know guys, to clear the VSC blinkers on the cluster, Do a zero point calibration, that will clear the warning lights. Basically the yaw rate sensors and the deceleration sensors are going to "fail safe mode" and up comes the light. No matter what you do, this will not get better unless you do the "Zero Point Calibration". For those who have the DLC tool, the time taken would be max 20 mts. And those who do not have will need buy the SST tool - 09843-18040 ( cost 9/-bucks) and connect on the terminals at Driver Footwell area
Following are the area where the VSC warning generate.
1. ABS
2. EBD
3. BA
4.Trac system
5. VSC system

so long
Have 03 sc430, always found helpful information here.

Thanks for sharing.

Quick Reply: VSC / VSC OFF Lights