SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Need help from Tein CS owners

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-09, 10:19 PM
Wheel Dr
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help from Tein CS owners

The cs coilovers were on my car when I bought it, they behave a little odd with bumps in the freeway, almost a bucking motion.Cornering and everything else seems just fine, air pressure is up on the tires. I looked through the rear wheel and can see about 2inches of thread left on the bottom of the coilover. Just wondering how others have their coilovers adjusted, going to put the car up on the rack in the next few days, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Wheel Dr
Old 03-30-09, 11:57 PM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

i've never felt anything like that. i have about half an inch from the tire to the bottom edge of the fender.
Old 03-31-09, 02:29 AM
KevsSC
Intermediate

When I first had my Tein CS installed, I had a problem with the fronts. Every small bump in the road I would hear a loud thump noise. I could drive over the smallest bump in the road and hear it. I had no problems with the rears. I had my coils turned all the way down. I switched my front springs out to a higher spring rate and that sound went away. So I think my fronts were bottoming out. Thats the only problem I had with these Teins.
Old 04-01-09, 06:12 AM
camillian
Lead Lap

since we are on the tein coilover topic, how do I adjust the stiffness of the coilover? I have been noticing when I find small dips on the freeway my car seems to go up and down a bit more than I like, not much but it is a little unsettleing at higher speeds
Old 04-01-09, 09:45 AM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by camillian
since we are on the tein coilover topic, how do I adjust the stiffness of the coilover? I have been noticing when I find small dips on the freeway my car seems to go up and down a bit more than I like, not much but it is a little unsettleing at higher speeds
as far as i know, you'd have to replace the springs with stiffer ones.
Old 04-01-09, 10:04 AM
Wheel Dr
Rookie

Camillian
I think we have the same symptoms, the car feels normal until you hit those bumps on the freeway. I have driven and owned alot of hp cars from 66 427 corvette porsches lotus benz and I have never experienced the unsettling ride of this sc430.Time to get it in the air and see what the problem is,probably with the install and original setup. I will know by next week and give you a headsup! Anyone else out there solve this problem with their teins?
Old 04-01-09, 10:07 AM
intdiamond
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by camillian
If you're 'floating' too much, you should be able to remedy the problem by adjusting the damping of the fronts AND the rears. Many times the damping is too loose in the rear compared to the front or vice versa, causing this 'floating'.
I made at least half a dozen adjustments to my damping and height settings until I was satisfied. Also, if they are new, it takes a couple weeks for them to settle-in; you may adjust them to an acceptable level one day only to find a couple days later that they're outa whack again. Patience.....
Old 04-01-09, 02:22 PM
Wheel Dr
Rookie

Intdiamond
So I'm just curious where you ended up with on your adjustments, how much thread left on your coilovers,from the bottom to your adjustment "devices" threaded rings.Just measuring the rear one could help me get started, I have two inches of thread showing under the adjustment rings in the rear. Each car probably has its own little quirks and mods make them react different, depending on their adjustment. Your right, patience is the key.
Old 04-01-09, 02:59 PM
TooCoolSC
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wheel Dr
Time to get it in the air and see what the problem is, probably with the install and original setup. I will know by next week and give you a headsup!
I'm sure we would all appreciate knowing what you think. I don't have Teins and my ride is horrible. I have no plans for getting the Teins, but I would like to know what you think the ride problem is mainly attributed to (i.e., bushings, struts/springs).

I think you are correct in thinking the problem was the original setup. I was talking to someone today at Lexus and he said he thought the "ride" problem corrected itself with later models. He said he doesn't hear near the complaints about the ride from late model SC owners as opposed to early model owners.

I have plans to replace the rear struts in my car and I'll see what that does. Any further light you can shed on this ride/suspension problem after you get your car "in the air" would be appreciated.

Last edited by TooCoolSC; 04-02-09 at 12:06 AM.
Old 04-01-09, 05:49 PM
intdiamond
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Wheel Dr
Intdiamond
So I'm just curious where you ended up with on your adjustments, how much thread left on your coilovers,from the bottom to your adjustment "devices" threaded rings.Just measuring the rear one could help me get started, I have two inches of thread showing under the adjustment rings in the rear. Each car probably has its own little quirks and mods make them react different, depending on their adjustment. Your right, patience is the key.
Unfortunately, I'm running on my stock wheels and snow tires right now and have the Teins set higher than when I'm running on my summer wheel setup... hopefully I'll be making the switch back within a couple weeks, and I'll take pics when I do (I hope by then you've adjusted your setup to your liking).

If I remember correctly, though, my rear coilovers have a bit less than the two inches of thread yours are set at. Also, I have different sway-bars than OEM and that probably changes some aspects of my ride as well.

Changing over to the Tein coilovers, Daizen sways and larger wheels/tires from OEM vastly improved the handling and comfort of my SC; it's really a completely different ride
Old 04-01-09, 06:35 PM
farkas
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I just ordered a set of Teins from Nigel for my SC430 and will be putting them on the car as soon as I get them. I will let you all know how everything goes with the install and their setup....
Old 04-01-09, 07:18 PM
camillian
Lead Lap

I've had mine for about 3 years but I only have 6000 miles on my car so I don't do much driving. I do remember there are two adjustments. one for height and one for stiffness. I Just forget how to do it. Where do I adjust the dampening (stiffness) from?

Thanks
Old 04-01-09, 07:22 PM
Hey Johnny
Lexus Champion

I'm pretty sure you adjust the dampening on the top of the shock. Tein gives you a little tool and you can adjust firmness.
Old 04-01-09, 07:39 PM
camillian
Lead Lap

Yes, I did a search and you adjust the dampening from on top. Turn fully clockwise for the stiffest setting and then you can turn it counter clockwise up to 16 clicks to soften. My question is what setting from 1 to 16 do most Tein CS owners have theirs set at?
Old 04-01-09, 09:07 PM
KevsSC
Intermediate

I have mines all at max stiff.

Quick Reply: Need help from Tein CS owners