SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

new member deciding on a convertable

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-09 | 08:17 PM
Yes

Originally Posted by Jackalope
You can really get a lot in it if you use small, soft bags, but it you try to cram a couple of three-suiters in it, you better not need the back seat for passengers.
you'd better not need the back seat for passengers in any situation. unless maybe you're hauling around a couple double amputees. but it does make a great storage space. especially if he has it down to the sc and an slk. the slk's trunk is just as small if not smaller. and it has no back seat.
Old 04-06-09 | 09:11 PM
gpz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by martini3
gpz,

are u in norcal or socal?

cause if you're in norcal, i can give u a quick test drive of an '03 SC430 just like I did for a previous aspiring admirer here who ended up buying one also.

peace...
thanks so much and great offer but i am in socal near Malibu. I subscribed to 3 forums Z,SLK,SC430 as the best way to get a true perspective is to hear it from the ones actually own and drive the cars. I have to tell you this SC430 forum is very civilized and pushing towards the SC. It's hard to get one car to do everything and that's why several is the way to go but i don't have the space.
Old 04-06-09 | 09:13 PM
gpz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jason702
one other thing on the performance, the first time i drove an sc, i thought it was slow. but then i realized i had it in the wrong transmission mode. there's a switch next to the shifter marked ect power, normal and snow. switch it to ect power. also, there's a botton next to it. i forget what it's labeled off the top of my head, but it turns of the stability control. if it thinks you're taking off from the line too fast or going into a turn too fast, it'll decrease power and slow you down. i turn it off every time i start the car. that said, the sc is a little underpowered for its class. but if you're comparing it strictly to hard top convertibles, the overall combination of luxury and performance can't be matched.
great point and i didn't try any of those things on the test drive and i will check it out. gpz
Old 04-06-09 | 09:27 PM
TooCoolSC
Lead Lap

you'd better not need the back seat for passengers in any situation. unless maybe you're hauling around a couple double amputees. but it does make a great storage space. especially if he has it down to the sc and an slk. the slk's trunk is just as small if not smaller. and it has no back seat.
I never had been in the back seat of my car, so tonight, I decided I'd give it a try...just to see what it was like. So I moved the passenger seat up as far as it would go and got in the back seat. As expected, there was no leg room. But the surprising thing was that there was no head room, either. LOL...I had to lean forward to keep my head from hitting the top. I don't think I've ever heard this mentioned.
Old 04-07-09 | 03:56 AM
Jackalope
Pole Position

LOL! Sorry! I should've said that. Thanks for the pickup!
Old 04-07-09 | 03:59 AM
Jackalope
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TooCoolSC
I never had been in the back seat of my car, so tonight, I decided I'd give it a try...just to see what it was like. So I moved the passenger seat up as far as it would go and got in the back seat. As expected, there was no leg room. But the surprising thing was that there was no head room, either. LOL...I had to lean forward to keep my head from hitting the top. I don't think I've ever heard this mentioned.
Well, I'm a bit luckier than some of you. My mother and my wife are both just slightly over 5' tall. As an experiment, I had my mother sit in the front and move the seat up as far as she could and still be comfortable. Then my wife got in the back behind her. We found that we could get both in there for short drives but only for really short ones. In addition to having no head or leg room, the seatback goes straight up and down. My wife said it was like sitting in a torture rack.
Old 04-07-09 | 04:24 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Hey GPZ, I'm 61 and absolutely love my SC. It's my fourth Lexus and you can't find a better built automobile. Go for the SC, you can find an off lease car on EBAY with around 35,000 miles for 32-35K. Everytime I get into my car I love it more. I had Vettes and MB's, they just don't compare. For me the value and quality of LEXUS products sell themselves.
Old 04-07-09 | 06:09 AM
camillian
Lead Lap

I have had my 06 since new and with only 6000miles it still feels like new. With the few mods I have done, wheels, suspension, front lip and sports pedals I have totaly transformed this vehicle. I get looks, people turning their heads and pointing and people stopping to talk to me continously every day. Porsches, Benzs and Bimmers are a dime a dozen and when they are around my SC they just blend in with everything else, even the people driving them are looking at my SC. I honestly draw as much attention as when there is a Lambo or Ferrari around. I have driven Benzs and Bimmers and they feel mass produced. The Sc quality and solidness feels as if it was hand built. I am 43 and i can tell you, you wont regret buying this vehicle. Once you change the wheels and add some beef in those rear wheel wells the car just goes through a transformation. The SLk just looks mickey mouse next to the SC.

I did have my SC up for sale just a few weeks back but it looks like I will keep it because I can't let go of it for what the market dictates considering what I paid for it up here in Canada. You can probably still see the pictures of it in the Lexus vehicle classified section. I think the thread was called "2006 SC430 6000miles" it would be atleast a few pages back.

Anyway good luck to you!
Old 04-07-09 | 07:50 AM
PHXSC
Lead Lap

An additional thing to pay attention to when you're test driving a 430 is the tires. The 430 came new with run-flat tires that give it a harsher ride than standard tires. I had mine 3 days before swapping out the run-flats, and that changed the car's ride and handling dramatically.
Old 04-07-09 | 05:00 PM
gpz
Driver School Candidate

gpz,

cause if you're in norcal, i can give u a quick test drive of an '03 SC430 just like I did for a previous aspiring admirer here who ended up buying one also.

peace...
hey thanks for the offer and i appreciare that but i am in socal near Malibu.
Old 04-07-09 | 07:23 PM
gpz
Driver School Candidate

gpz,

peace...
hey thanks but unfortunetly i am in socal near Malibu.
Old 04-07-09 | 10:45 PM
gpz
Driver School Candidate

gpz,

peace...

thanks i appreciate that but i am in socal near Malibu.
Old 04-07-09 | 11:04 PM
Yes

i think he's in socal near malibu. but i'm sure he appreciates the offer.
Old 04-08-09 | 08:11 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by gpz
p.s. one more thing : do you feel the fact that Lexus is dropping the SC will make it less valuable and desirable in general in the market place or more ?
Lexus dropping the SC will help make it more desirable and the resale value go down slower. In the long run, the SC will have the highest resale value out of all comparible convertible.

And in my opinion, the SC430 is on the same level as a SL500, 645i and S5 convertible. They all have the same engine power, size and amenities.

SLK and A4 is on a lower level.