SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

First impressions: from an IS350 to an SC430...

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-09 | 09:18 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Default First impressions: from an IS350 to an SC430...

I have always loved the SC430.

And after seeing the IS350c convertible, I decided that if I wanted a convertible, I might as well choose something that I have always loved, rather than compromise and get the same car I already had, but with an (expensive) open top option. The IS350c would be "better" in a sense that it will have better technology and better gas efficiency, but I did not like the idea that it was not as elegantly designed, and it arrived "late" into the market, making it age quickly as the 3IS will most likely debut in 2011 as a MY2012.

It took a lot of time for me to decide whether or not to trade in my well-modded IS350 for a stock one (I've been searching since December). I didn't want to spend the big bucks for a new one, and I actually have been searching for a used one that would fit the bill, both at a great price with low mileage. I found a Midnight Pine '04 SC430 with Ecru interior, only 28k miles, and she was equally priced as my IS350 (with 55k miles) after negotiations. So, it was an even trade dollar-for-dollar; I gave my '06 IS350 for an '04 SC430.

So, here she is:

So, here are my impressions:

At first glance, the SC has a uniqueness and elegance that has always captivated me. I like a coupe that isn't aggressive and in-your-face. And as much as I would love a "true" sporty coupe, I honestly would prefer the cruise-worthiness of a luxury hardtop convertible. The lines are a bit feminine, but that really isn't a bad thing. I would rather be in something incognito, than pose in something that would attract ricers and cops.

The material quality of the SC surpasses the IS. The leather is softer, the wood more prominent, textiles more plush, and the surfaces with more tactile sturdiness. This is not a surprise. I wish there was more room in the front (I like to lean far and low), and the car forces me to sit more upright compared to the IS. I have sat in the back seat for a short ride, and I honestly can say that although it can be done, I fear for my safety and comfort back there. The trunk is laughable, and the lack of a spare scares me. The SC has better quality, but the IS is (of course) more functional. I think the ISc will address both issues, if such a concern needs to be addressed for potential buyers. I really would love to get an ISc, but I would prefer that I get the third-generation IS, instead of the upcoming one. I don't mind the wait while I enjoy the SC for now.

The technology of the IS is amazing, and I wish such amenities were found in the SC. I miss the newer/better Navigation system; the SC has the same navigation as my parent's Toyota Avalon. I miss my reverse camera and parking sensors (I fear scratching my new car in the tight spots of my condo's underground garage). I miss simple things like the keyless touch entry/lock, simpler foot brake release, DVD player, AUX input, and ventilated seats. However, I was willing to let go of such amenities for the SC430. In retrospect, I was extremely spoiled by having all those amenities, and I needed to simplify and step away from such technologies. And honestly, the amenities of the SC still exceeds 95% of cars on the road, and that is a good thing.

The ride of the SC is supple and soothing. But you can tell that it is significantly slower and heavier than the IS. The five-speed transmission shifts are buttery, whereas the IS's six-speed can be jarring at times. Torque on the SC is rated higher, but it doesn't fly as enthusiastically as the IS. I have forgotten the IS's engine sound; after three years with an air intake and exhaust, my IS was always grunty and confident. The SC is quiet and refined, and I don't think I can ever add an aftermarket exhaust to it. I like it just the way it is.

So, what now?

In all honesty, I doubt that I will modify the SC as much as I did the IS. For now, I have tinted the car and added wheels the same size as the stock wheels. I could have done more aggressive wheels, but I really enjoy the soft ride with 18"s. I have also ordered different exterior/interior lighting schemes. Beyond these modifications, I think I'm done. I don't want to spend the time and effort and hassle that I did modifying the IS. Every time I went to a CL meet, every 2IS had a new modification, making me crave to further enhance the car. Now, with the SC, she won't need as much changes to stand out. She'll be unique, she'll be uncommon, and she'll be prominent. She'll be herself, and that's fine with me.

And there you have it. My decision. The transformation. The new road ahead.

Let's ride.

Last edited by PhilipMSPT; 04-07-09 at 09:25 AM.
Old 04-05-09 | 09:27 PM
Yes

looks good. one mod i'd consider is coilovers. it'll look a lot nicer with a drop.
Old 04-05-09 | 09:31 PM
LiCelsior
Retired
CL Folding 500000

HAHA I KNEW IT. loving it.
Old 04-05-09 | 09:36 PM
LiCelsior
Retired
CL Folding 500000

also...interior pics and u need coilovers and bbk!
Old 04-05-09 | 09:45 PM
IS_250
Pole Position

coming from a 2IS to SC430 i really miss the smart key.

welcome.... Dont deny the mod bug when it hits you.
Old 04-05-09 | 10:03 PM
Allen K
-0----0-
CL Folding 25,000

Congrats Phil Enjoy her
Old 04-05-09 | 10:06 PM
iKenn
Just call me "Sprinkes"

I think you should get the new tail lights.
Old 04-06-09 | 02:02 AM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

welcome!!!!!!

Good luck on the not modding thing, thats what we all said when we bought our SC's
Old 04-06-09 | 06:11 AM
TripleL
No Substitute
CL Folding 1M

Congratulations Phil! Phenomenal car choice for you! Enjoy
Old 04-06-09 | 06:25 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Wow, congratulations for the switch Phil , nice SC430 you've got there!!
Old 04-06-09 | 02:47 PM
Trexus

Congratulations Phil. I had a feeling you were going to get the SC 430. She looks very good. Hope to see it up close and personal one of these days...
Old 04-06-09 | 02:58 PM
tromly
Pole Position

Phil, you made a great choice, and thanks for the excellent read on your impressions, you made my day !!
Old 04-06-09 | 03:12 PM
blk250
Lexus Test Driver

nice SC...interesting read about your decision..
Old 04-06-09 | 06:58 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Awww could have bumped up to the 06 for the lights and the 6spd auto tranny. Then it wouldn't feel as sluggish
Old 04-07-09 | 08:09 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Congratulations Phil!! Enjoy =)

Steve

Quick Reply: First impressions: from an IS350 to an SC430...