SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Anyone with this problem???

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-09, 08:38 PM
baboya96
Intermediate

Received 72 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Anyone with this problem???

I have a 2004 SC430 with approx 51k on the odometer. I purchased it at 38.4k mileage about 15 months ago. Still original brakes...

I noticed everytime I wash it, (when the brake pads are still wet), I hear this horrendous rubbing sound along with a heavy vibration when brakes are applied. Keep in mind, this is within 5-10 mins of car wash, hence car is still wet. Is this NORMAL??? Vibration is strong enough that you can actually feel it in the cockpit. Once the car is dried out, everything becomes normal. What's going on with this? Anything with my brake pads??

I also notice 'squeaking' sound at low speed. (not just after car wash) It CAN BE annoying sometimes. Something I need to worry about? I wonder if the brake pads are due for replacement at 50k... My last car, (acura CL type S) held its original pads till 80k (before trade-in). I don't know my car's past history but I dont' anticipate any abuse.

Your thoughts??
Old 04-13-09, 02:40 AM
CBG
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by baboya96
I have a 2004 SC430 with approx 51k on the odometer. I purchased it at 38.4k mileage about 15 months ago. Still original brakes...

I noticed everytime I wash it, (when the brake pads are still wet), I hear this horrendous rubbing sound along with a heavy vibration when brakes are applied. Keep in mind, this is within 5-10 mins of car wash, hence car is still wet. Is this NORMAL??? Vibration is strong enough that you can actually feel it in the cockpit. Once the car is dried out, everything becomes normal. What's going on with this? Anything with my brake pads??

I also notice 'squeaking' sound at low speed. (not just after car wash) It CAN BE annoying sometimes. Something I need to worry about? I wonder if the brake pads are due for replacement at 50k... My last car, (acura CL type S) held its original pads till 80k (before trade-in). I don't know my car's past history but I dont' anticipate any abuse.

Your thoughts??
The vibration from the brakes when wet is normal. Everytime I wash my car at work I get the same noise/vibration till everything drys out. No idea about the "squeaking" but you might have the brakes checked.
Old 04-13-09, 03:24 AM
Dragnet
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had some mild squeaking from my right front brakes. Turned out to be the early warning for replacement of the brake pads. (I had anticipated this sound to be much louder.)
Old 04-13-09, 05:46 AM
baboya96
Intermediate

Originally Posted by CBG
The vibration from the brakes when wet is normal. Everytime I wash my car at work I get the same noise/vibration till everything drys out. No idea about the "squeaking" but you might have the brakes checked.
What got me more curious is my previous cars didn't have this 'problem'. Before the car is dried, I pull in to my garage and notice this vibration/grinding. Very LOUD too. Also, it doesn't happen when i'm driving in rain. Any reason??? pads are still wet at this point no???

As for squeaking... it's intersting. Only happens a few times and i don't know if weather has anything to do with it. Dry weather...debris/dust between pads???

Would love to figure it out though.
Old 04-13-09, 06:05 AM
JohnD
Rookie

Don't think there is a problem here. Mine is a 2007 with 20,000 miles and it does the exact same thing after washing.
Old 04-13-09, 06:09 AM
aquanuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Yep normal. I have to reverse out of my drive and when the brakes are wet its 10X louder in reverse braking
Old 04-13-09, 09:19 AM
baboya96
Intermediate

Then question becomes.... is it a Lexus thing? or SC thing? This is my first Lexus so I can't speak for other models but we have a toyota 4runner and i don't experience anything in that. As great as SC is, it's VERY unpleasant hearing this noise after every wash. So it doesn't sound like it has anything to do with the brake pads.

Aquanuke, per your signature you have aftermarket brake set and still experience this???

Like i said before, I don't experience this in rain (thank god!!!) but would def bring it up to techs next time I go in for maintenance.

Thanks all.
Old 04-13-09, 11:48 AM
aquanuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Aquanuke, per your signature you have aftermarket brake set and still experience this???
Yes its louder with my BBK then stock, stock was loud as well. My BMW 330 did it. I dont get it with my Range Rover though.
Old 04-13-09, 04:44 PM
martini3
Lexus Test Driver

w/ that high mileage, check the rotors.
they might have to re-surfaced.

http://www.aa1car.com/library/2003/bf110322.htm

I never notice this rubbing sound after I wash the wheels and brakes and rotors. And I don't hear any squeaking sound at low speeds on mine.

Of course, I had my OEM brake pads replaced after 30K w/ Akebono brake pads and my rotors re-surfaced.

Mine is an '03 w/ 70K miles on it now no rubbing or squeaking noises whatsoever.

just a thought...thanks...
Old 04-13-09, 04:49 PM
CBG
Pole Position

Then question becomes.... is it a Lexus thing? or SC thing? This is my first Lexus so I can't speak for other models but we have a toyota 4runner and i don't experience anything in that. As great as SC is, it's VERY unpleasant hearing this noise after every wash. So it doesn't sound like it has anything to do with the brake pads.

Like i said before, I don't experience this in rain (thank god!!!) but would def bring it up to techs next time I go in for maintenance.

Thanks all.
My previous vehicle the 2003 ZR2 Blazer also did the vibration thing after washing. I also never hear it while driving in the rain only after washing.
Old 04-13-09, 04:55 PM
SEVY B
Driver

You stated that you don't know your car's past history...that being said I agree w/ Martini to resurface your rotors (most importantly the front rotors)

Also, there may be a possiblity that your car has cheaper aftermarket brake pads that may be affecting the braking. Get the brakes checked.
Old 04-13-09, 09:14 PM
ntr987
Driver School Candidate

Most likely its just the rust rubbing off the rotor. Rotors are made of iron which instantly rusts when wet.
Old 04-13-09, 09:36 PM
scdroptop

Received 50 Likes on 22 Posts

Yep, me too. Definitely the pads/rotors getting wet.

Your squeaking in normal, dry driving would indicate early pad wear. I have heard (I have 28k on my 2002) that pads sometimes go out by 30k on the SC based on driving habits. Not uncommon.

Have them checked just to be sure you don't damage your rotors...$600 for all new pads is much better than $2400 for all four new rotors any day!
Old 04-14-09, 06:17 AM
camillian
Lead Lap

Mine does it everytime I finish washing the car and I am moving it back and forth in the garage and driveway. I could swear the entire neighborhood can here it. It goes away after I drive off and make a few stops. Oh by the way mine is an 06 with 6000miles
Old 04-14-09, 02:18 PM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by JohnD
Don't think there is a problem here. Mine is a 2007 with 20,000 miles and it does the exact same thing after washing.
My 03 does the exact same thing, I wash mine twice/week so I'm used to it. Have your brakes checked, the sound you hear is a reminder that they probably need replacing. GOOD LUCK

Quick Reply: Anyone with this problem???