SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Aftermarket subwoofer???

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-09 | 08:45 PM
baboya96
Intermediate

Received 73 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Aftermarket subwoofer???

For those with aftermarket stereo system set-up.... where did you mount your subwoofer? I came from a car with pretty heavy sound system... I'm missing it with my SC. I've seen pictures with cars utilizing the backseats to mount (2) 12"...etc but i'm looking to keep in my truck yet, still have enough space to drop my top and keep my golf bag in place. Any idea??? Is 12" even plausible with this car or do I need to consider going much smaller???

Obviously, I need to figure out enough space for a subwoofer and amp. I also plan to change out the stock stereo with double din player. Anyone consider using side pockets (where aid kit is mounted???).

Let me know. Thank you.
Old 04-12-09 | 09:34 PM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

the stock head unit is integrated into the navigation. so you'd probably have to switch that out too.
Old 04-12-09 | 09:55 PM
johnnyreno
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why switch, you sound like you are wanting quanity, and not quality there is a difference just because its loud does not make it better, LEVINSON rocks.
Old 04-12-09 | 10:30 PM
Will 3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know what you mean the system is lacking quanity and quality (just my opinion). Some people think that just because you have a factory Levinson, Bose, or Infinty factory system it sounds good. Aftermarket systems done correctly beats any stock system. Check out my earlier thread you'll see where I put my 13 in sub and amp. I would keep the factory deck and just use a JL cleansweep.

Good Luck
Old 04-13-09 | 03:30 AM
IS_250
Pole Position

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Im getting ready to swap my stock sub and put an aftermarket 8" sub in place of the OEM. There are a couple threads if you search where this has been done.

I do have an issue about swapping out the ML amp and speakers. I want to remove the ML amp and run a 5 channel amp and replace all the speakers in the car. Since the NAV voice is routed into the stock system how would i connect the Nav audio to my new amp/speakers?
Old 04-13-09 | 05:40 AM
baboya96
Intermediate

As Will 3 put it... aftermarket system CAN give you the quality you're looking for. (of course my personal opinion) but I'm looking for heavier bass than what the stock system can deliver. Once again, coming from (1) 12", as great as Levinson may be... it can't be compared... and YES i plan to change out the stock head unit as well instead of using a cleansweep.
Old 04-13-09 | 05:43 AM
baboya96
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Will 3
I know what you mean the system is lacking quanity and quality (just my opinion). Some people think that just because you have a factory Levinson, Bose, or Infinty factory system it sounds good. Aftermarket systems done correctly beats any stock system. Check out my earlier thread you'll see where I put my 13 in sub and amp. I would keep the factory deck and just use a JL cleansweep.

Good Luck
I have seen your thread and it's a great installation except I carry my golf bag around and that would never work for me. That's why I was suggesting possible using side pockets (where my first aid kit came in) and use either 8" or 10" if space allows. Plus 12" sub was BIG enough for me. No need to go any bigger!!!

How does cleansweep allow you to control your ipod? My main intent to replace a head unit is for....
1. FULL ipod controllability. including seeing songs/artists...shuffle...etc.
2. Navi add. My 04 system is starting to lack alot of new businesses in town. Thought about upgrading the CD but from what I read thru several threads, but much improvement. Vaistech will run you about $200... updated Navi CD would be another $200. I figured throw another $200-$300, I can get a double din player. Of course that doesn't include any installation but you get what I'm saying.
Old 04-13-09 | 06:14 AM
IS_250
Pole Position

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Have you done a search? There is a member here that build his own fiberglass enclosure for the right side of the trunk corner using an Image Dynamics 8"
Old 04-13-09 | 09:15 AM
Will 3
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by baboya96
I have seen your thread and it's a great installation except I carry my golf bag around and that would never work for me. That's why I was suggesting possible using side pockets (where my first aid kit came in) and use either 8" or 10" if space allows. Plus 12" sub was BIG enough for me. No need to go any bigger!!!

How does cleansweep allow you to control your ipod? My main intent to replace a head unit is for....
1. FULL ipod controllability. including seeing songs/artists...shuffle...etc.
2. Navi add. My 04 system is starting to lack alot of new businesses in town. Thought about upgrading the CD but from what I read thru several threads, but much improvement. Vaistech will run you about $200... updated Navi CD would be another $200. I figured throw another $200-$300, I can get a double din player. Of course that doesn't include any installation but you get what I'm saying.
You run an aux cable from the cleansweep to your ipod. you use your ipod to control everything. You wont get a display of your head unit. The jl sweep has its own volume control **** that sits in my arm rest.
Old 04-13-09 | 09:20 AM
baboya96
Intermediate

Originally Posted by IS_250
Have you done a search? There is a member here that build his own fiberglass enclosure for the right side of the trunk corner using an Image Dynamics 8"
I would pay $$$ for that set up. let me do a search.
thanks.
Old 04-16-09 | 10:42 AM
flyguyskt
Driver School Candidate

if i were going to build a kickin system for this car and wanted to keep the back seats heres what i would do: (keep in mind i've been doing this stereo gig for 20 years now. and used to compete in low power classes and suprise the heck out of people.)

look at your trunk space...not condusive to building with 12's...at all.

hmmm: my plan would be a pounding system inside the car but not blow away all of the neighbors.

go buy yourself 4. 8ohm 8" subs of high quality. rockfords my choice. the total internal space for a SEALED enclosure will be around 1.5 cubic feet! sou build your box according to speaker specs. but would bee around 32x8x8 inches. run them off of a decent amp...rockford again? series and mono them to drop down to 2 ohms at amp.

you may laugh and think 4- 8" subs ya right...but if set up right it will JAM. i have had many people call me a liar with this type setup. you will only need maybe 3-400 watts to power them so amp cost is less!

i currently have a toyota yaris as well and have 2- 8" rockford being pushed by a 20 year old punch 150 amp. i took it to the stereo shop after i installed it and the guy was pissed because his car with 2 12"s didnt sound as good! sure he had more thump outside the car but his sounded muddy inside the car...where it counts!
Old 04-16-09 | 11:27 AM
xenonrider
Driver School Candidate

How about a single sealed 12" or 13" behind the driver seat? I figured that since there's noway anyone can sit back there that it'd be a good place. Some sort of fiberglass/custom box wrapped in vinyl/leather.

What do you guys think? Always thought that a sub in the trunk of a SC wouldn't sound that great inside the car....
Old 04-16-09 | 01:18 PM
Habious
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I've been in the trunk...with the liner pulled out...and into the back seat...with the bottom and back cushions pulled out so, I know how much space is (isn't) back there.

But, I don't know that much about aftermarket drivers. So, here's a question for the experts...Is taking the stock 8" sub out, enlarging the diameter of the hole, and putting in a 10" or 12" driver an option?

From what I remember, making the hole bigger shouldn't be that much of an issue. The big question would be rear clearance.

Can you get a 12" sub with a shallow depth?

Also, was just thinking...if you're not planning on putting someone in the back seat, you might get away with front-mounting the sub (factory sub is rear-mounted I believe...grill is front-mounted) and possibly even using a 1/2" or 1" spacer to gain you a little more clearance. Might have to do some work with the foam padding on the rear upright but, nothing that would be visible once it's all reassembled.

Then it's just a matter of finding someplace to stuff an aftermarket amp to drive it.

Thoughts?

EDIT: Just wanted to toss in the fact that I'm all about upgrades that keep the factory look.

Last edited by Habious; 04-16-09 at 01:19 PM. Reason: The reason for editing was that I had to edit some stuff.
Old 04-18-09 | 09:40 PM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Habious
I've been in the trunk...with the liner pulled out...and into the back seat...with the bottom and back cushions pulled out so, I know how much space is (isn't) back there.

But, I don't know that much about aftermarket drivers. So, here's a question for the experts...Is taking the stock 8" sub out, enlarging the diameter of the hole, and putting in a 10" or 12" driver an option?

From what I remember, making the hole bigger shouldn't be that much of an issue. The big question would be rear clearance.

Can you get a 12" sub with a shallow depth?

Also, was just thinking...if you're not planning on putting someone in the back seat, you might get away with front-mounting the sub (factory sub is rear-mounted I believe...grill is front-mounted) and possibly even using a 1/2" or 1" spacer to gain you a little more clearance. Might have to do some work with the foam padding on the rear upright but, nothing that would be visible once it's all reassembled.

Then it's just a matter of finding someplace to stuff an aftermarket amp to drive it.

Thoughts?

EDIT: Just wanted to toss in the fact that I'm all about upgrades that keep the factory look.
I'd be interested to know if anyone has tried a direct swap. A good 8" sub will put out plenty of bass. My only concern would be the enclosure. I assume the stock setup isn't sealed? I'm going to swap out the speakers sometime this summer. And I don't want to give up my trunk for a sub. I'll probably have to put the amps back there. But I can live with that.
Old 04-20-09 | 11:34 PM
EliteSC430
Rookie

i have a double din i my sc with after market speakers i have image dynamics all around and 10 inch memphis with two memphis amps and it sounds alot better then my old stock ML i use my old nav screen as a second screen when i watch movies or the nav i also had to keep old radio tucked in the trunk so i can use the ac and the rest the 10 inch was put where the old stock one was and dynamatted i have posted pics but dont know where they are

Quick Reply: Aftermarket subwoofer???