I need some coilover help

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-09, 04:45 AM
langsdale
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need some coilover help

hey gang,
i am working with a suspension company on developing a new coilover for our sc430's. however, i need someone who has the stock front and rear coilover to assist me. they need a stock one to develop this new one, and because my vehicle is in the body shop i cant take mine off because i wont be able to move it around the shop, i am in need of assistance. i am more than happy to pay for shipping and ship it back to you when it is finished in about a month.

this coilover is from a more reputable company than what we currently have available to us regarding coilovers, so im sure everyone here can benefit.

also, what coilovers are you guys running? give me some feedback! d2?? k sport? tell me who you like and what you like about them. i can get all this feedback to the company!
thanks
joe
Old 04-29-09, 09:27 AM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

so this "reputable company" doesn't have a couple hundred bucks to get their hands on stock shocks from a salvage yard? sounds fishy.
Old 04-29-09, 09:54 AM
PHXSC
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jason702
so this "reputable company" doesn't have a couple hundred bucks to get their hands on stock shocks from a salvage yard? sounds fishy.
Or from one of the many on the forum that have replaced theirs.
Maybe put a "WTB" in the classifieds?

Why would anyone take a front and rear spring off to ship to this unknown entity? For a month?
Old 05-04-09, 11:17 AM
langsdale
Pole Position

actually, I'M the one rushing them. i want this done asap for this summers shows, etc, and they are willing to assist me, but i need to get them struts and springs, etc. i just cant take mine off and still be able to move the car.
any assistance is helpful
Old 05-04-09, 12:44 PM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

no offense, but i have a few problems with this post.

a) i don't see how this anonymous company is going to outdo tein in the next couple months. tein has put years into developing their suspensions. if there were a "more reputable" company out there, by definition they would have a reputation and we would have heard of them.

b) if they were capably of making a better suspension than tein, why wouldn't they have done so already? our cars have been around for the better part of a decade. it's a little late to be getting in the game.

c) if they want to develop an aftermarket suspension for the sc430, it wouldn't be anything for them to spend a few hundred dollars on a used suspension.

d) you only have 13 posts and you're asking strangers to send you something worth a few hundred dollars. i'm not saying you're trying to scam people. but there's no reason to believe this isn't a scam.
Old 05-04-09, 06:21 PM
Roofless
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If someone thinks they can build a better coilover for our cars, I think we all welcome that opportunity. And I think I understand that the company doesn't want to spend money getting their own SC430 suspension to develop the coilovers, because it's only you who needs it at this point... but if you can come up with the parts, they'll do it. Right?

But considering the time factor (a month) and the oddity of the request, you probably will be best served getting a local SC430 to help you out. Try posting this request in your regional forum.

And continued good luck on your project car.

Sidenote: langsdale, you're requesting a "stock coilover." Lexus doesn't make a coilover for our cars. All coilovers are third party. So what are you requesting, exactly?

Last edited by Roofless; 05-04-09 at 09:28 PM.
Old 05-05-09, 05:59 AM
langsdale
Pole Position

thanks man. yes, they want to get into sc430 parts because the demand going into the tuner market, it just wasnt a high priority. i was considering the k sport, but i heard negative feedback and i also heard the k sport and d2 are an immediate drop in ride height. i need at least the opportunity to get back to standard ride height just to get up my driveway.

what others are available?
k sport
tein
d2

what else? i heard bilstein USED to, but im looking for something ASAP. first HIN for me is in june. any advice is appreciated. even negative. i hear great things about the TEIN, but this project is out of control, so im on a budget.
thanks
joe
Old 05-05-09, 01:56 PM
Roofless
Lead Lap

Tein CS - the vast majority of coilover users here are on Tein CS. We like them because there's a nice balance between stiffness and keeping a bit of the silky Lexus ride. If there's a complaint, it's that the rebound rate is a bit soft and non-adjustable, and can cause an occaissional bit of floating on the road. This can be decreased by adjusting the dampers to a stiffer rate.

H&R, Bilstein - they were too stiff for most users. Probably great for the track, except our car isn't really a track car. I don't think anyone stuck with these.

Tom's - this coilover is very expensive and very few users bought them. The comments were exceptional citing balance, rebound and stiffness. This is the coilover I'd buy if I were to replace my Tein's.

KSport, D2 - as far as I know, there aren't any SC430 users who have tried these yet. So no feedback. Someone recently mentioned maybe getting the KSport's, but that's all.

My 2 cents...

Last edited by Roofless; 05-05-09 at 02:09 PM.
Old 05-05-09, 03:15 PM
langsdale
Pole Position

thanks. i have been in talks with k sport and it looks promising, but it immediatly drops the vehicle 1.5 to 2 inches, and this new kit doesnt allow for very much clearance, so im afraid i might bottom out going into the driveway, etc. is the TEIN a big drop? or can you still sit close to stock rideheight if need be?

is it true you can fit gs400 coilovers?
Old 05-06-09, 01:07 AM
Roofless
Lead Lap

Teins will maintain the stock height if you desire. I think some of us might argue that the only reason to get coilovers is for the height adjustment to make the car lower though.

I'm a bit surprised to hear the KSports can't be raised to a stock height. It kind of defeats the purpose of having height adjustment. Oh well.
Old 05-09-09, 07:43 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

How about springs only?

Can 2nd gen ('99-'05) GS300/430 springs fit on the SC430?

Don't want to deal with coilovers, but I do want to lower the car...
Old 05-10-09, 04:07 AM
SteadyEddy
Instructor

I've thought about that, and checked into just springs. Can get teins here fairly inexpensive, but I've heard from others that you should have struts (shocks) that match the ride height. (if it's lowered then the sruts travel should be lowered) Made it sound like it wasn't a good idea to run the stock struts with the new springs. I haven't been about to find anything other than coilover or stock setups.

Last edited by SteadyEddy; 05-10-09 at 04:23 AM. Reason: misspelled words and sentence wasn't making sense
Old 05-10-09, 04:24 AM
SteadyEddy
Instructor

With all this talk about coilovers and such. How long do the struts (shocks) last, either stock or coilovers? Does it go by mileage? Or by feel? I would guess you can't see if they are leaking if they are gas filled. Are they gas filled or liquid filled? I am thinking along the lines of PhilipMSPT, just do the springs and keep the ride that I have (only lower) and not worry about changing any settings, I'm very confident that the SC will never see any track time unless it's as a spectator. Might be more work changing everything over but no hassle down the road. My thoughts anyway.
Old 05-10-09, 07:00 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Originally Posted by SteadyEddy
I am thinking along the lines of PhilipMSPT, just do the springs and keep the ride that I have (only lower)...
That's what I did with my IS350: lowering springs with stock coils.

Rode fine for 40k miles with the combo. Helped with the car's handling too...

So, back to the question: GS aftermarket springs (without coils) on an SC?
Old 05-11-09, 12:22 PM
talwang

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
That's what I did with my IS350: lowering springs with stock coils.

Rode fine for 40k miles with the combo. Helped with the car's handling too...

So, back to the question: GS aftermarket springs (without coils) on an SC?
No way, plus 02-04 and 05+ also use different springs.

A brand new set of Tein springs for 02-04 are only selling for $224.5 shipped.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TEIN-...4506.m20.l1116

Quick Reply: I need some coilover help