SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Anyone use nitrogen in their tires?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-09, 07:09 AM
FALCON1
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Anyone use nitrogen in their tires?

Lexus dealer is now offering Nitrogen at 10 bucks per tire. Claims for smoother and quieter ride as well as prolonged tire life.........

Anyone have thoughts pro or con ?

I know Infiniti now offers it as well as VW.................and free replacement fill ups if one gets a flat et al.

FALCON 1
Old 04-29-09, 07:14 AM
evolution8
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't noticed a different other than not having to top it off. Local dealer fills it up whenever one is in for an oil change.
Old 04-29-09, 07:17 AM
jimmer!
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

put me down as a nitrogen fan. I converted when switching to new, standard pilot sports and wheels. with low profiles, every little bit of cushion helps. and because the nitrogen molecule is larger than oxygen, less leakage occurs. I've been on nitrogen for about 6 mos. and like what I've found. your installer will normally give you a lifetime refill, as well. costco members can get free nitrogen when needed. worth the initial investment. a great, inexpensive mod. for sure.
Old 04-29-09, 09:08 AM
shadow191
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had nitrogen for about a year now. It's just what the tire shop I go to uses. I have not noticed a difference in anything except I don't have to air up the tires as much.

I'm not sure how it could provide a smoother and quieter ride or prolong tire wear. Or provide better fuel economy which is one of the claims as well. The only advantages I could see are that it leaks a little more slowly and since nitrogen is inert, it's not affected as much by temperature changes. So if you have a race car, it would make much more of a difference than on the average commuter.

Keep in mind that plain old air is already ~79% nitrogen. So if you think that extra tiny amount actually going into your tire is worth $10 per tire, go for it. But I don't know of anyone I know who actually noticed any difference.

Originally Posted by FALCON1
Lexus dealer is now offering Nitrogen at 10 bucks per tire. Claims for smoother and quieter ride as well as prolonged tire life.........

Anyone have thoughts pro or con ?

I know Infiniti now offers it as well as VW.................and free replacement fill ups if one gets a flat et al.

FALCON 1
Old 04-29-09, 09:21 AM
PHXSC
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since most consumers neglect checking tire pressure, you could extrapolate from that better tire life with the more stable nitrogen-filled tire.
The local Discount Tire stores have a bay dedicated to checking tire pressure. You drive in, and a minute later you're gone. If I didn't have an air compressor in my garage, I'd use their service once a month.
I always wondered how they get all of the air out of the tire, without totally collapsing it?
Old 04-30-09, 04:41 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

[QUOTE=shadow191;4479072]I've had nitrogen for about a year now. It's just what the tire shop I go to uses. I have not noticed a difference in anything except I don't have to air up the tires as much.

I'm not sure how it could provide a smoother and quieter ride or prolong tire wear. Or provide better fuel economy which is one of the claims as well. The only advantages I could see are that it leaks a little more slowly and since nitrogen is inert, it's not affected as much by temperature changes. So if you have a race car, it would make much more of a difference than on the average commuter.

Keep in mind that plain old air is already ~79% nitrogen. So if you think that extra tiny amount actually going into your tire is worth $10 per tire, go for it. But I don't know of anyone I know who actually noticed any difference.[/QUOT
Seems to me that if the old air is ~79% nitrogen why pay $10 per tire for the other 21% !! Just like bottled water you pay a buck for and later find out that it's filtered tap water, thus a complete rip off !!