SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

When to replace timing belt?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-09 | 06:54 AM
mhoepfin
Rookie

Default When to replace timing belt?

My SC430 has 87k, I thought I read in the service manual to replace the timing belt at 90k. Is that the general consensus on this board as well?
Old 05-02-09 | 10:21 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Smile

Originally Posted by mhoepfin
My SC430 has 87k, I thought I read in the service manual to replace the timing belt at 90k. Is that the general consensus on this board as well?
Follow the PM instructions in the manual, it's less expensive at a Toyota dealer. My lexus dealer wanted $1400 for a 90000 mile service, it was 880 at the Toyota dealership. Used the same parts and the techs get the same trng ! You pay for the LEXUS name.
Old 05-02-09 | 10:47 AM
TooCoolSC
Lead Lap

They say every 6 years or 90,000 miles. So even if you have an 2002 with 20,000 miles, most would say such a vehicle would need the timing belt service. I know that sounds crazy, but if it breaks, think of the alternative.

I think of it like tires. A tire might not have very many miles on it, but that doesn't mean it's in great shape. Even if it has low mileage and plenty of tread left, if it's old, you would still need to get a new tire.

The Lexus stealerships are the last place I would get this service done. If you can find a mechanic that specializes in Toyota/Lexus, they are usually significantly cheaper. And, as mentioned, if you feel like you must go to a dealership, at least choose a Toyota house as an alternative and save some dough.
Old 05-02-09 | 02:47 PM
Peter_Klim
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TooCoolSC
They say every 6 years or 90,000 miles. So even if you have an 2002 with 20,000 miles, most would say such a vehicle would need the timing belt service. I know that sounds crazy, but if it breaks, think of the alternative.

My dealer says that on these cars, people have not replaced their TB until 120K. And that if it breaks, there won't be any damage to the rest of the vehicle.
Old 05-02-09 | 03:33 PM
KiNg430
Rookie

Lightbulb

i replaced mine at 60k, when by tensioner pulley was in need of replacement
Old 06-11-09 | 08:11 AM
LSKOCH5
Driver School Candidate

Default Worth comparing both Lexus & Toyota mechs -

Originally Posted by tromly
Follow the PM instructions in the manual, it's less expensive at a Toyota dealer. My lexus dealer wanted $1400 for a 90000 mile service, it was 880 at the Toyota dealership. Used the same parts and the techs get the same trng ! You pay for the LEXUS name.
Compare prices first - I just assumed Daytona Toyota was giving me a better deal than the Lexus dealership which was an hour further away as well. They must have smiled and laughed at my expense for 2 years, until when Toyota had to order a part that would take a week, I called to see if Lexus had it in stock - they did - AT HALF THE INSTALLED PRICE Toyota had quoted! Then I found I got sca-rewed on everything else! I will never ever even take our other vehicle - a Tundra - back there!
With that being said - I was checking to see everyone's input on timing belt - my 2002 sc430 has 81k miles; Lexus Orlando is running the timing belt special for $899, including water pump, oil seals, etc, so I guess I'll call it preventative maintence and do it now. The 75k or 80k mile service - skipped it, got oil change and replaced air filter, as everything else revolves around the tires, which the rotation, balancing, etc are covered at not cost w the best tire price match on the Pilots I found at Sears.

Last edited by LSKOCH5; 06-11-09 at 12:03 PM.
Old 06-11-09 | 10:38 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LSKOCH5
Compare prices first - I just assumed Daytona Toyota was giving me a better deal than the Lexus dealership which was an hour further away as well. They must have smiled and laughed at my expense for 2 years, until when Toyota had to order a part that would take a week, I called to see if Lexus had it in stock - they did - AT HALF THE INSTALLED PRICE! Then I found I got sca-rewed on everything else! I will never ever even take our other vehicle - a Tundra - back there!
With that being said - I was checking to see everyone's input on timing belt - my 2002 sc430 has 81k miles; Lexus Orlando is running the timing belt special for $899, including water pump, oil seals, etc, so I guess I'll call it preventative maintence and do it now. The 75k or 80k mile service - skipped it, got oil change and replaced air filter, as everything else revolves around the tires, which the rotation, balancing, etc are covered at not cost w the best tire price match on the Pilots I found at Sears.
For $899 that sounds like a great deal, wish my Lexus dealer in VA could match that price, I'll ask the next time I go there for service.
Old 06-11-09 | 11:11 AM
ntr987
Driver School Candidate

I asked my dealership how much it would cost to get the timing belt replaced. And he quoted me around $500. At the Indianapolis, IN lexus dealership.
Old 06-11-09 | 02:00 PM
Scott R
Pit Crew

I just bought a used '02 w/66K miles. I'm guessing that unless the previous owner was really **** about these things and followed the "6 year" rule, that it still has the original timing belt. But is there any way for someone to tell by looking at it?
Old 06-11-09 | 03:24 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

If the previous owners took the car to Lexus for service, then Lexus will have records of it. They wouldn't likely have changed it out unless something else failed in the same area or just decided to do it at 60k miles, like the older belts were required to be changed at.

To answer the original question, yes 90k miles is the proper time to change it out.
Old 06-13-09 | 09:38 PM
CAMAracer
Pole Position

Make sure the qoute they give is for parts + labor. One dealership wanted $600...for parts! Labor on top of that...$1300! Do I get a free Lexus what that!? What.....EVA!

I got the kit on ebay for ~200, installed for another 500, all done at ~95K miles.
Old 06-16-09 | 03:50 PM
Golden430
Driver School Candidate

I replaced my timing belt in my 2002 SC430 at 50k miles because the car was 7+ years old. Manual states something like 7 years or "x" miles. I paid about $800 at the Toyota dealer for the new timing belt but could have kicked myself when I saw the condition of the belt he had removed - it looked brand new! Although Lexus sets these maintenance standards, note they also state you should get your car in the shop every 5000 miles for a $400-$500 service - so I think that answers the motivation behind their "standards". Having said that, I know that if the timing belt snaps that it could cause $3000-$4000 damage but that still doesn't justify recommending such a premature belt change. If I were you, I'd save my money and wait.
Old 06-16-09 | 04:24 PM
iolmaster
Racer

There will be no damage if the timing belt breaks. I don't know who told you that. The car will stop. You will have the price of a tow.
Old 06-17-09 | 11:02 AM
Seattle SCone
Advanced

But I read our V8 IS an interference engine. Are you definitive in saying this V8's cylinder heads and valves are non-interfering?
Old 06-17-09 | 11:22 AM
farkas
Lead Lap

I thought the engine was an interference engine also.....Is there anyone that knows for sure?

Quick Reply: When to replace timing belt?