SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Wind Noise, Driver's Side A-Pillar...Anyone ever get it fixed?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-11, 01:10 PM
nwcn98
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I second that
Old 01-23-11, 01:26 PM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Sent him a PM, let's see.
Old 01-23-11, 01:43 PM
sixonemale
Intermediate

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

This was my post on 7-27-10:

FYI - I received the weather stripping part today and called Lexus to find out how much they would charge for the part and installation. They gave me a very low quote, so I told them I would be right over. I also told them I did not believe they were correct on the quote that included the part. I explained to the service attendant, I really like the car, but if there is one part that I don't think was designed correctly, it was this one. Long-story they did not have the part in stock, so they installed my part at no cost. Thumbs up to the local dealer here, and yes, the wind noise is gone!

I just took a look at the weather stripping today and it's already split. This is definitely a flawed part that Lexus should either redesign with stronger composition of rubber, or openly agree the part is flawed and at least waive labor at the dealership at a minimum or perhaps the price of the part also. If neither the part or labor is waived, it's about $160 ($40 for the part and $120 labor). It's simply a hassle that we owners should not have go through every six months.
Old 01-23-11, 01:55 PM
mandyfig

So perhaps the repair will actually work better? Allows you to add rubber where there should have been in the 1st place.
Old 01-23-11, 04:03 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by sixonemale

FYI - I received the weather stripping part today and called Lexus to find out how much they would charge for the part and installation. They gave me a very low quote, so I told them I would be right over. I also told them I did not believe they were correct on the quote that included the part. I explained to the service attendant, I really like the car, but if there is one part that I don't think was designed correctly, it was this one. Long-story they did not have the part in stock, so they installed my part at no cost. Thumbs up to the local dealer here, and yes, the wind noise is gone!

I just took a look at the weather stripping today and it's already split. This is definitely a flawed part that Lexus should either redesign with stronger composition of rubber, or openly agree the part is flawed and at least waive labor at the dealership at a minimum or perhaps the price of the part also. If neither the part or labor is waived, it's about $160 ($40 for the part and $120 labor). It's simply a hassle that we owners should not have go through every six months.
If the weatherstripping is already split, I'd bring it back to the dealer and point it out. It sounds like they need to make an adjustment on the window. Either the window is going up too far or the weatherstripping was not installed correctly.
Old 01-23-11, 04:58 PM
sixonemale
Intermediate

"If the weatherstripping is already split, I'd bring it back to the dealer and point it out. It sounds like they need to make an adjustment on the window. Either the window is going up too far or the weatherstripping was not installed correctly."

Harold,

Good advice, I will go back to the dealer and point out just how quickly it happened. However, with all due respect, this part is not designed correctly. Almost everyone of us who own's a SC430 has had this experience, whether it occurred in six months or two years.
Old 01-24-11, 08:10 AM
mandyfig

If window adjustments are made, it may be an additional issue for wind noise. I think it is the seal that we need to look at. It sounds like these are consumables. And 6 months is the attrition timing.
Old 01-24-11, 10:51 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

If the windows are going too high up and splitting the weatherstripping, then lowering the adjustment shouldn't affect any wind noise. It should just bring them into spec. They may only need an 1/8" adjustment to rectify the problem.
Old 01-24-11, 11:54 AM
mandyfig

Good point, I guess we will find out.
Old 01-24-11, 05:52 PM
Poqman
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by sixonemale

.... and yes, the wind noise is gone!

I just took a look at the weather stripping today and it's already split. ....
Just so I'm clear, did the wind noise return when the seal split again? Just wanting to make sure the wind noise is associated with the seal and nothing else. I checked and my seal is split on both sides and I have wind noise on both sides.
Old 01-24-11, 06:10 PM
sixonemale
Intermediate

The wind noise in my case was associated with this weather stripping and yes when it split again, the noise did return. The wind noise started out soft or gentle and then progressively became a bit worse as the split increased in length. As your driving, you can open your window an inch or two and then close it to try re-seat the glass into the weather stripping and this may decrease the wind noise sound level that was emanating from the split.

Last edited by sixonemale; 01-24-11 at 07:50 PM.
Old 02-03-11, 05:10 PM
sixonemale
Intermediate

As mentioned previously my driver’s side weather stripping on the front window split within a six month time frame, but at about six months is when I noticed it. Before I took it to Lexus I did notice that the driver’s window was closing it bit higher than the passenger’s window where the weather stripping was still not split and in good condition. I took Harold's advice and asked Lexus to look at the window alignment as well as replace the stripping. It took them about two hours and they concluded the window was misaligned. There was no charge for labor or the new weather stripping. My thanks Harold for the suggesting the dealer check window alignment and to Lexus for not only fixing the problem, but the symptom as well.
Old 02-03-11, 07:18 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

You're very welcome. I'm glad to hear that you were able to get it taken care of and now we have one more tool in our bag to fix the splitting weatherstripping pieces.
Old 02-04-11, 09:39 AM
mandyfig

I wonder if the adjustment is in the service manual. Need to so some research.
Old 02-04-11, 09:59 AM
VVTiBob

Received 268 Likes on 204 Posts

Yes the instructions for adjusting the window in three directions are there. You'll find them under the front door overhaul, section 75 page 8-11.

Quick Reply: Wind Noise, Driver's Side A-Pillar...Anyone ever get it fixed?