SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Wind Noise, Driver's Side A-Pillar...Anyone ever get it fixed?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-09, 08:59 AM
scdroptop

Received 50 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Wind Noise, Driver's Side A-Pillar...Anyone ever get it fixed?

Having searched and read many many posts on this site over the years about wind noise coming from the a-pillar (and having the problem too over several years) my Platinum Warranty is about to expire in July and I am really going to get aggressive with my dealer about fixing this for good.

They have replaced the rubber gasket/seal going all the way around my roof at one time, they have also re-aligned the top as well as checked the latches several times.

Does anyone have a "fix" suggestion on this?

The last excuse they gave me is that "most" SC's have this problem and it is normal. They suggested it was the mirror making the noise like some of you have heard. I folded the mirror in and it still did it! They also lubed the seal by the window and it does nothing but make a mess every time you roll your window up/down.

I just don't understand how a HARDTOP with no manual latches can have wind noise at the a-pillar.

I have no leaks, this isn't coming from the passenger's side and the noise is apparent at even low speeds with no wind outside...even at 30mph+. Sounds like a damn tornado at 60mph!

Thanks!!!!
Old 05-10-09, 03:22 PM
CBG
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They said it was a "normal noise" lol. Nice excuse. My car don't make that "normal noise".
Old 01-20-11, 04:58 PM
Fasttime
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have same problem with my 2005- No noise whatsoever from passenger mirror
Old 01-20-11, 06:32 PM
rcroller
Rookie

My '07 isn't doing it. Drove in to work this morning with the stereo off just to listen for anything I might hear as I'm still getting to know the car. It is quiet other than the damn RF tires. Gotta burn em up before I can justify replacing them though...from what I've read, that shouldn't take too long.
Old 01-20-11, 07:04 PM
cjs18
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My '02 SC is nearly as quiet as my ES and there is no wind noise such as you describe on either side of the car. So it sounds like at least a few of them don't have it. If you're up for a little experimenting, sometimes you can localize a wind noise area by putting strips of masking tape or electrical tape over parts of seals and joints on the outside, then driving at speed to note any differences. Doesn't cost much and might give you a start at finding a specific area for them to address. Good luck with your dealer.
Old 01-20-11, 07:09 PM
jcastaneda
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have that problem with my 99 GS400. and only from the driver's side Cant seem to locate...soooo annoying!!
Old 01-20-11, 10:29 PM
nwcn98
Rookie

Originally Posted by scdroptop
Having searched and read many many posts on this site over the years about wind noise coming from the a-pillar (and having the problem too over several years) my Platinum Warranty is about to expire in July and I am really going to get aggressive with my dealer about fixing this for good.

They have replaced the rubber gasket/seal going all the way around my roof at one time, they have also re-aligned the top as well as checked the latches several times.

Does anyone have a "fix" suggestion on this?

The last excuse they gave me is that "most" SC's have this problem and it is normal. They suggested it was the mirror making the noise like some of you have heard. I folded the mirror in and it still did it! They also lubed the seal by the window and it does nothing but make a mess every time you roll your window up/down.

I just don't understand how a HARDTOP with no manual latches can have wind noise at the a-pillar.

I have no leaks, this isn't coming from the passenger's side and the noise is apparent at even low speeds with no wind outside...even at 30mph+. Sounds like a damn tornado at 60mph!

Thanks!!!!
I have some wind noise as well. I also heard it on a PB '06 I test drove before I bought this one. I just thought it was normal, but noticable.
Old 01-21-11, 06:01 AM
sixonemale
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

This is thread that Scdroptop is in, therefore, it won't solve his wind noise problem, but just in case others have not seen it, this thread does provide a solution that works for most owners experiencing a wind noise problem on the drivers side:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...ind-noise.html

This rubber fitting that covers the driver's window glass eventually splits causing wind noise. I had mine replaced, wind noise gone. Why does it split and the passenger side does not? I think it is a function of opening and closing the driver's door more often than the passenger door. IMO it is somewhat of a flawed part that I think Lexus should replace for free, due to the fact it will only work temporarily before splitting again.
Old 01-21-11, 10:20 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

Yes, the noise almost always comes from the little triangle weatherstrip pieces that surround the mirror mount (& speaker on the inside). Both of mine were split. I replaced both and the noise was gone. I wrote up the instructions for the procedure and posted it. The instructions are on the 3rd page of the link that sixonemale posted above. Talwang has shorter instructions, but I think the short cuts make it more difficult to remove and reinsert.

Last edited by Harold57; 01-21-11 at 10:26 AM.
Old 01-21-11, 11:07 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

This is great info. I will check mine out if there is wind noise coming from it. I know both of them are split!
Old 01-21-11, 01:33 PM
scdroptop

Received 50 Likes on 22 Posts

mine play a tune like the ricola commercial! annoying as hell...on my list to tackle. Definitely not covered under warranty
Old 01-22-11, 11:33 AM
nwcn98
Rookie

Just discovered mine is split as well
Old 01-22-11, 12:15 PM
mandyfig

Liquid tape is sounding good to me. Must pick up a bottle.
Old 01-22-11, 04:03 PM
nwcn98
Rookie

Can anyone confirm liquid tape works? I know there was a previous post about this, but I'm wondering how effective it was and how long it lasted.
Old 01-23-11, 10:40 AM
mandyfig

A picture of a repaired seal will be nice. Let's request the OP who did the repair to post a pic.

Quick Reply: Wind Noise, Driver's Side A-Pillar...Anyone ever get it fixed?