SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Top seems stuck...will not go down.

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-09, 08:07 PM
Jester1868
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top seems stuck...will not go down.

I noticed this today when I tried to put my top down. The trunk opens up and i hear the lock by the windshield disengaging per say but when it's time for the top to go down, I see the hinge on the back of the roof pulling but it's not disengaging from the windshield. I noticed a couple of weeks ago it was making a louder noise when locking to the windshield but thought nothing of it but now, it's not releasing. What can I do to fix this? Thank you very much for any and all help provided. It's a 2003 SC430.
Old 05-17-09, 10:30 AM
talwang

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

do a search, maybe a cable is out of place or one of the switches goes bad.
seems more and more members have the roof issues.
Old 05-17-09, 03:35 PM
TooCoolSC
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by talwang
seems more and more members have the roof issues.
I know, I was thinking the same thing. I've started holding my breath when I open mine.

Maybe we should all knock on the birds-eye maple three times before pushing the button.
Old 05-17-09, 05:21 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

Jester = 2003 = current thread, problem undiagnosed
Adi = model year unknown = Open circuit at package tray motor circuit
JonToronto = 2002 = Switch failure
Roofless = 2002 = Passenger's side loose clip needed tightening
jgreezy = 2002 = Minor cable problem

Any others?

Last edited by JohnnyCake; 05-22-09 at 05:46 PM. Reason: Additional info
Old 05-17-09, 08:41 PM
Roofless
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jester1868
I noticed this today when I tried to put my top down. The trunk opens up and i hear the lock by the windshield disengaging per say but when it's time for the top to go down, I see the hinge on the back of the roof pulling but it's not disengaging from the windshield. I noticed a couple of weeks ago it was making a louder noise when locking to the windshield but thought nothing of it but now, it's not releasing. What can I do to fix this? Thank you very much for any and all help provided. It's a 2003 SC430.
I had a similar problem:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...f-problem.html
Old 05-19-09, 04:06 PM
jgreezy
Rookie

I have the exact same problem in my wife's 2002 we've checked all three fuses,and cables in the trunk have'nt checked the cables at the windshield scared to drop the headliner. We've even replaced the battery. Any ideas or jester if you have fixed your problem please help.
Old 05-19-09, 08:54 PM
jontoronto
Driver School Candidate

after having gone through a roof issue very recently, I can STRONGLY recommend swallowing the diagnostics charge at lexus and getting one done.
Through my diagnostics (which I stood next to the mechanic and the computer the entire time) it was very clear by the results that there was a switch failure.
And if you happen to have a switch/mechanical issue, it will be a simple fix. The roof motor has never been an issue one time at the largest Lexus dealer in Toronto, so I would not think the motor would be the issue.
Just to give you the cost of my repair...the diagnostic was 140 bucks, the switch was 125 bucks, and I found a former lexus mechanic who owns his own shop and his 6 hours of labor cost 250 bucks. (lexus quoted me 2 thousand for the same job)

Hope this helps in any way.
Jon
Old 05-20-09, 05:43 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jontoronto
after having gone through a roof issue very recently, I can STRONGLY recommend swallowing the diagnostics charge at lexus and getting one done.
Through my diagnostics (which I stood next to the mechanic and the computer the entire time) it was very clear by the results that there was a switch failure.
And if you happen to have a switch/mechanical issue, it will be a simple fix. The roof motor has never been an issue one time at the largest Lexus dealer in Toronto, so I would not think the motor would be the issue.
Just to give you the cost of my repair...the diagnostic was 140 bucks, the switch was 125 bucks, and I found a former lexus mechanic who owns his own shop and his 6 hours of labor cost 250 bucks. (lexus quoted me 2 thousand for the same job)

Hope this helps in any way.
Jon
A friend of mine had to get the same repair at the dealership, it was $1700 but the roof has operated perfectly since the repair. Guess $1700 isn't bad if you want to enjoy the sunshine and fresh air !!
Old 05-21-09, 04:03 PM
jgreezy
Rookie

Well we finally broke down and took to my mechanic. It turns out it was the cables in the roof very happy. and it only cost me $216
Old 05-21-09, 04:07 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

So how did your mechanic fix it. New cabels ? or did he adjust them. How were the cables preventing the top from working .

Buddy
Old 05-21-09, 05:51 PM
jgreezy
Rookie

He said one of the cables on the pax side had broken the plastic clip that holds it. It was an easy fix took him awhile but for 200 bucks I cant complain
Old 05-21-09, 07:57 PM
jontoronto
Driver School Candidate

Awesome news.
Great to hear that it didn't cost you an arm and a leg.
Cheers
Old 05-22-09, 12:51 AM
TooCoolSC
Lead Lap

Glad to hear that!
Old 05-22-09, 01:38 AM
AllBlackon
Driver

so buying a used SC430 i have to tack on $1700 for roofing issue's just in case....
Old 05-22-09, 04:24 PM
Roofless
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jgreezy
He said one of the cables on the pax side had broken the plastic clip that holds it. It was an easy fix took him awhile but for 200 bucks I cant complain
This sounds like my problem and fix, except it was a loose clip, not a broken one.

JohnnyCake, thanks for problem list. Just for accuracy, my problem was on the passenger side (like jgreezy,) not the windshield.

Quick Reply: Top seems stuck...will not go down.