SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Question on seat rubbing noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-09 | 09:14 AM
golfxx
Rookie

Default Question on seat rubbing noise

I have a noise due to the drives seat back rubbing on the center counsel. I have an 03 with low mileage. When I move around in the seat or when I take an aggressive turn I get a noise of leather rubbing on leather. I know that it is from the passenger side of the drivers seat back rubbing on the counsel. When I put my hand between the two the noise goes away. When I use leather conditioner on the surfaces the friction becomes greater and the noise gets louder. Does anybody know of any seat adjustments to position the drivers seat back a little more towards the drivers door?
Old 05-17-09 | 01:05 PM
tromly
Pole Position

Originally Posted by golfxx
I have a noise due to the drives seat back rubbing on the center counsel. I have an 03 with low mileage. When I move around in the seat or when I take an aggressive turn I get a noise of leather rubbing on leather. I know that it is from the passenger side of the drivers seat back rubbing on the counsel. When I put my hand between the two the noise goes away. When I use leather conditioner on the surfaces the friction becomes greater and the noise gets louder. Does anybody know of any seat adjustments to position the drivers seat back a little more towards the drivers door?
there is no such adjustment, try sqeezing the side bolster that's rubbing the center console, almost like needing the leather to soften it up, perhaps that will help. Good Luck
Old 05-17-09 | 02:51 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

There is another possibility. If the passenger seat is far enough back that it touches the rear seat cushion, then it will make that annoying noise also. Try moving the passenger seat forward or possibly tilting the top forward (depending on which is rubbing against it).

It is possible that sliding your hand between the console and the seat that enough pressure is applied to prevent the rubbing against the back seat from occuring.

I've also noticed that the seat belts will make that noise if they being used and not tied down with the strap unless you are tall enough that your shoulder will hold the belt above the top of the seat.
Old 05-17-09 | 03:15 PM
tromly
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tromly
there is no such adjustment, try sqeezing the side bolster that's rubbing the center console, almost like needing the leather to soften it up, perhaps that will help. Good Luck
Here's another suggestion from a friend with a BMW with the same problem. He went to a BMW forum and it was suggested that you apply baby oil generously on the area in question, allow it to soak overnight and then wipe the leather down with a damp cloth, this should do the trick. Good Luck
Old 05-18-09 | 10:32 AM
golfxx
Rookie

I might try the baby oil suggestion. I'll let you know if it works.

Thanks
Old 05-19-09 | 11:34 PM
SEVY B
Driver

Try using a strip of felt in a dicreet location. Match the color of the interior if you can.
Old 05-28-09 | 06:14 PM
golfxx
Rookie

Used a little Vaseline on the two surfaces that were rubbing at it seems to work. The Vaseline has been on for about 4 days and still no rubbing noise. Maybe when it wears off I might need to reapply it? For now its doing the trick. Thanks to all for the ideas.
Old 05-29-09 | 04:45 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Originally Posted by golfxx
Used a little Vaseline on the two surfaces that were rubbing at it seems to work. The Vaseline has been on for about 4 days and still no rubbing noise. Maybe when it wears off I might need to reapply it? For now its doing the trick. Thanks to all for the ideas.
Glad you handled that annoying noise, no telling what a Lexus dealer would have charged you to fix the problem. If you get real good with the Vaseline you could be a certified massuse.