SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

18 years old

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-09, 08:37 AM
Jace_91
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 18 years old

Is old enough to own a lexus sc430. but if you want a loaner while you pay $110 to learn why your speedometer isnt working, and ABS and brake lights are on. Then you have to be 21?
Really?

What is the difference legally between a 21 year old and an 18 year old. nothing except that one can drink (legally)
Old 05-18-09, 08:45 AM
Wierdazndu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

probably no reason at all but just for them to be comfortable. Sometimes stupid rules are just rules. At the end of the day though its their car that they are loaning out and if they are comfortable with 21 and up being loaned a car then thats just the way it is, ya know?

Another note: All rental car places require you to be 21 to get a rental car.
Old 05-18-09, 08:56 AM
slvrboolet
Lexus Champion

Just because you have one doesnt mean your responcible enough to own one (in their eyes) lots of richie rich kids who's parent buy them stuff they have no business owning as a company and for insurance purposes i sure as hell wouldnt give them an expensive loaner. When i was 19 i bought my then 2yr old IS and had the same prob fortunatly my gf at the time was older than me so she would always get the loaner for me...
Old 05-18-09, 09:06 AM
PHXSC
Lead Lap

It's probably an insurance stipulation in the policy on the loaner car.
Old 05-18-09, 10:04 AM
Jace_91
Pole Position

I understand where you are coming from, but I bought my car after saving for 5 years, and I just hate that younger people are discriminated against just because of their age. I am probably going to get one of my parents to come and sign for the loaner, if they have to keep it longer. It has been a few hours and they still havent been able to figure out the problem.
Old 05-18-09, 10:27 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by PHXSC
It's probably an insurance stipulation in the policy on the loaner car.
It is the insurance company, rental car companies won't rent to most people under 23, why?, because young people can tear up a car, it has nothing to do with discrimination. Insurance companies charge people who smoke more for life insurance. This has nothing to do with the Lexus dealer but the dealers insurance companies's policy. Get over it !! Life isn't fair !!
Old 05-18-09, 10:35 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Jace_91
I understand where you are coming from, but I bought my car after saving for 5 years, and I just hate that younger people are discriminated against just because of their age.
Discrimination is when there is no reason for treating two identically situated people differently. What you are experiencing is not discrimination, but risk management based on statistical averages.

It might suck, but it is fair.
Old 05-18-09, 12:04 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

JohnnyCake sums it up nicely, statistical averages say younger drivers tend to be much less responsible then older drivers, that is why they created that 21+ rules.

You might be one of the few 18 years old who are mature and responsible, but most 18 years old are not.

I know I did a lot of dumb rackless things with cars when I was 18, I won't do the same dumb things today because I know is dumb and mostly because I did them already
Old 05-18-09, 12:58 PM
Wierdazndu
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Jace_91
I understand where you are coming from, but I bought my car after saving for 5 years, and I just hate that younger people are discriminated against just because of their age. I am probably going to get one of my parents to come and sign for the loaner, if they have to keep it longer. It has been a few hours and they still havent been able to figure out the problem.
see there ya go. get your parents and youre saved. No problems. Weird though, cause i was just thinking.... couple my friends have G35s brand new and they never had problems getting loaners at 19 and 20 yrs old.
Old 05-18-09, 01:16 PM
Habious
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyCake
Discrimination is when there is no reason for treating two identically situated people differently. What you are experiencing is not discrimination, but risk management based on statistical averages.

It might suck, but it is fair.
You see, I never got this...

It's "Fair" for an insurance company to look at my sister and me and decide that, based on gender alone, she's a lower risk than I am.

But, it's totally "unfair" for an employer to look at two equally-qualified people (one male, one female) and, based on statistics that show a man will work longer hours per week (men have less desire to "rush home to be with their families than women)...and take less time off (no maternity leave for men) hire the man for those reasons.

It's "Fair" for an insurance company to decide that based on age alone, a female should pay a lower insurance rate than a male.

But, it's totally "unfair" for a company to hire a younger person over an older person (even though, statistically speaking, in 30 years, the younger person will still be in the workforce while the older person will be six-feet-under).

I always wonder what would happen if insurance companies came out with a study that showed that African-Americans were a higher insurance risk than Caucasians...and "Black Americans" would have to pay a higher insurance rate than "White Americans". Anyone care to bet how long that "statistical analysis" would last?
Old 05-18-09, 01:27 PM
Wierdazndu
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Habious

It's "Fair" for an insurance company to look at my sister and me and decide that, based on gender alone, she's a lower risk than I am.

But, it's totally "unfair" for an employer to look at two equally-qualified people (one male, one female) and, based on statistics that show a man will work longer hours per week (men have less desire to "rush home to be with their families than women)...and take less time off (no maternity leave for men) hire the man for those reasons.

It's "Fair" for an insurance company to decide that based on age alone, a female should pay a lower insurance rate than a male.

But, it's totally "unfair" for a company to hire a younger person over an older person (even though, statistically speaking, in 30 years, the younger person will still be in the workforce while the older person will be six-feet-under).

I always wonder what would happen if insurance companies came out with a study that showed that African-Americans were a higher insurance risk than Caucasians...and "Black Americans" would have to pay a higher insurance rate than "White Americans". Anyone care to bet how long that "statistical analysis" would last?
To be honest... its their company and their money. They can do whatever they want. This is a matter of youth. Sucks being young but thats life for ya. Im sure theres plenty of 11 year olds (random age) out there that know how to use a knife to cut an apple but its just to risky giving a 11 year old a knife. He might cut himself.
Old 05-18-09, 05:38 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Habious

This is not a fairness equation; quite the contrary, as you correctly point out, the man is unfairly penalized despite being the "better" worker. This is a value-based equation. As a society we seek, through the law, to advance the family, which ultimately benefits everyone, both men and women. So we don't penalize women for their commitment to the family role (birth the kids, rush home to be with the kids, etc.).

Now on the other hand, there's no need to protect 18 year olds since they are just a total drain on society!!
Old 05-19-09, 09:45 AM
Rippaflow
Lead Lap

I have a 01 gs430 and my buddy has a 01 is300. We both went to the same Lexus dealer. We were both 20 at the time. When I went to take my GS in, the service advisor said please dont crash this I'll lose my job...but he also knew he was losing an expensive service (90K...) if he turned me down. I got a new IS as a loaner. My friend brings his IS300 goes to the same service advisor and he gets shot down and has to wait for his brother to come and sign for it. I guess it all comes down in how you present yourself whether or not theyre willing to bend the rules for you or not. But I believe its 21 because its a legal rental contract...that's what a loaner is.
Old 05-19-09, 09:58 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts

You guys are rich to own a Lexus like that, at a young age.
Old 05-19-09, 10:42 AM
Rippaflow
Lead Lap

Some young people get stuff handed to them, some people work for it. I work for it. I hope to get a SC430 soon. Just waiting on the job promotion.