SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Where is the receiver on the car for the key transmitter?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-09 | 11:36 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Default Where is the receiver on the car for the key transmitter?

Does anyone know where the receiver is on the car which reacts to the key fob press (e.g. lock/unlock).

A while back there was a thread about getting more range from the key (put it up to your chin). What about getting more range from improving the receiver?
The following users liked this post:
benmunger (07-08-19)
Old 05-19-09 | 11:57 AM
Habious
Pole Position

Good question. I looked in the service manual once but didn't find it. Would love to find the antenna and see if there was some way to extend it.
Old 05-22-09 | 06:05 AM
evolution8
Driver School Candidate

Doesn't sound safe to use your head to transmit the waves.
Old 05-22-09 | 06:22 AM
Habious
Pole Position

Originally Posted by evolution8
Doesn't sound safe to use your head to transmit the waves.
I honestly mean this in an informative, not condescending, way. I apologize in advance if it comes out sounding like the latter...

90-second physics lesson...

There are two types of radiation; Ionizing Radiation and Non-Ionizing Radiation.

Ionizing radiation has the ability to modify cells (this is the kind of radiation that can cause cancer)

Non-Ionizing radiation does not have the ability to modify cells, it can only generate heat.

RF transmitters...like our key fobs, cell phones, two-way radios, etc. all produce non-ionizing radiation.

The amount of heat a transmitter can/will generate is directly proportional to the amount of power the device outputs.

Consider this; people have been using commercial two-way radios (walkie talkies) for the last 40 years. These handheld units generate power usually in the 4 to 5 watt range (4,000 to 5,000 milliwatts (mW)), transmitting close to the user's head (you have to hold it up to your mouth to talk) with no long-term effects.

Cell phones generally transmit with a power of 250 to 1,000 mW (considerably less).

While I don't know the exact amount of power that the key fobs generate, I do know that they work intermittently for 6 months to a year, using only a 3V lithium battery to power them so, I'd put their power in the 10-25 mW range.

Short answer - You're safe to put it in your mouth and press the button, if you want.

Last edited by Habious; 05-22-09 at 06:26 AM.
cgmendla (02-25-24)
Old 05-22-09 | 09:04 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Originally Posted by Habious
Short answer - You're safe to put it in your mouth and press the button, if you want.
I'll stick it up my *** if it will give me more range!!!
The following 2 users liked this post by JohnnyCake:
cgmendla (02-25-24), ROSCOGX470 (11-22-20)
Old 05-22-09 | 09:26 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Enclosed picture diagram as to where the shop manual says it is
Attached Thumbnails Where is the receiver on the car for the key transmitter?-lexus-receiver.jpg  
Old 05-22-09 | 10:29 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Here is a better image of the manual diagram

Buddy
Attached Thumbnails Where is the receiver on the car for the key transmitter?-lexus-receiver.jpg  
Old 05-22-09 | 10:31 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

The control could be behind the map lighjt assemble. I dont think it would be in the actual roof itself. Any one else have some information

Buddy
Old 05-22-09 | 11:23 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

I'm guessing that it is either under the dash or in the rear view mirror / light switch assembly. (Thanks Buddy for posting that diagram.)
Old 05-22-09 | 12:35 PM
evolution8
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Habious
I honestly mean this in an informative, not condescending, way. I apologize in advance if it comes out sounding like the latter...

90-second physics lesson...

There are two types of radiation; Ionizing Radiation and Non-Ionizing Radiation.

Ionizing radiation has the ability to modify cells (this is the kind of radiation that can cause cancer)

Non-Ionizing radiation does not have the ability to modify cells, it can only generate heat.

RF transmitters...like our key fobs, cell phones, two-way radios, etc. all produce non-ionizing radiation.

The amount of heat a transmitter can/will generate is directly proportional to the amount of power the device outputs.

Consider this; people have been using commercial two-way radios (walkie talkies) for the last 40 years. These handheld units generate power usually in the 4 to 5 watt range (4,000 to 5,000 milliwatts (mW)), transmitting close to the user's head (you have to hold it up to your mouth to talk) with no long-term effects.

Cell phones generally transmit with a power of 250 to 1,000 mW (considerably less).

While I don't know the exact amount of power that the key fobs generate, I do know that they work intermittently for 6 months to a year, using only a 3V lithium battery to power them so, I'd put their power in the 10-25 mW range.

No, not at all. Good to have learned something, thanks.
Old 05-22-09 | 01:07 PM
tromly
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JohnnyCake
I'll stick it up my *** if it will give me more range!!!
Insertion should be done only by a certified and highly trained technician. The stealership would want one hour labor minimum, and the remote would no longer be covered by the manufactures's warrenty!!!
ROSCOGX470 (11-22-20)
Old 05-31-09 | 02:47 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

I just got a "2002 New Features Manual" off of ebay (~ $28). The receiver is in the inside rear view mirror. It shows it on the right side of the mirror body itself, not the mounting hardware attached at the roof line. It is possible that the location changes depending on the year.
Old 06-01-09 | 04:03 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

This would jibe with the diagram posted above. OK, who's going to be the first person to mod this and give amazing range to our key?
Old 06-01-09 | 05:33 AM
Habious
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JohnnyCake
This would jibe with the diagram posted above. OK, who's going to be the first person to mod this and give amazing range to our key?
Um...you are...Mr. I-can-open-my-garage-door-from-my-navigation-screen
Old 06-02-09 | 10:52 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

LOL, yeah, but that would involve looking at car guts! Heck, I barely made it through my cabin filter mod.

Quick Reply: Where is the receiver on the car for the key transmitter?